Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Drawers Veg Chamber - Blue Peter Stylee

Thanks

Default My Drawers Veg Chamber - Blue Peter Stylee

I've got two females currently veging outdoors which have started to preflower.
    I want to take a cutting of each plant to have as a mother plant but I needed somewhere quick to keep them so heres what I came up with.

I had a couple of old drawers which I chucked out a few months ago.. Ok they aren't in prestine condition, but will do till I can get my room sorted.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

First I cleaned out the drawers as they had some growth in them.
    I used plenty of disenfectant

Then I had to trim off the leading edge of the drawers so they would stand on thier end

I also had to trim off the overhang so that the two draws would fit snugly together like this.. The cut was rough but duct tape will fix that as you will see later...

Next up we get out the sillicone sealant and gun and seal up all the seams inside (outside is optional) like so...
    I used kitchen and bathroom sealant which contains anti fungal / mould stuff

We are going to need a door so we cut out a square in what was the base of the drawer (which is flimsey wood).
    We attatch Duct tape down one side on the inside and out to make the hinge

We must also secure a peice of wood or plastic to act as a stopper to stop the door swinging inisde where you will struggle to pull it back out again

Now me must place the two drawers together to make our box.
    We use more sillicone sealant along the edges to be joined.
    Sillicone for those who dont know bonds things quite nicely and also gives us a decent chance at keeping the box air tight and in some cases, light leak proof

Now I said don't worry about the rough cuts at the front, because now we are going to further ensure the air tightness and seal by securing the endges further with duct tape.
    Do this along all of the join seam all the way round.
    Black duct tape would be perfect, but for some reason I chose white lol

Here we have our box all taped up and pretty much air tight

It is a good idea to go around the inside of our joining seam and sillicone it like we did the inside of the drawers at the start.
    Pay particular attention to the rough cut area on the inside..
    Really fill up those cuts with sillicone

Then we will leave this for 24 hours some place to dry.

I will say that my box will need another clean out with disenfectant again but you may not even need to clean out anything you use as a box before you construct it..
    I had to do mine as there was mildew type stuff growing over the base lol

It is advised that you clean it at least once however before you commence your grow.

That's all I've gotten done for now, I'm going to add the fans tomorow which are two 12v pc fans.

It's not the best of constructs, but I think it's rather ingenious considering that is all I had to hand.

Total time to make so far.. about 1 hour.

-----------------------------GROW DIARIES----------------------------
    |

Thanks

Incidentally, I am going to be using CFL's for this box as I only need it to keep the mothers in veg.

At least if I've got two fems to clone from, then I don't have to worry about spending out on seeds all the time and hoping I get a fem when and if they germ.

I can just take a cutting and away I go.

Thanks

happy with that me man, very impressed. with a bit of thought you can do a grow in pretty much anything. well done!
    NOTE: Everything i post is merely fictional and should not be taken seriously. FTP

Staked out on a rock covered in jam with Ants all around..
    Thanks

Very productive one hour. Ingenious. Well done. hope you have somewhere to hide it though. hardly stealthy

Thanks

Nice job mate, top drawer

Get plenty of passive venting on the go, and roberts your mothers brother

What size light you got planned for that space?

BB

Thanks

Thanks guys!

It's only going in the bedroom for now.

Not sure what size light, that was going to be my next question lol.

The area is 1 sq ft or 5 cubic feet so prob 125 watt CFL??

Thanks

125w should be plenty in there! what ever you do dont put a 250W in unless you have good outtake lol

looking cool dude
    Quote Originally Posted by wert View Post
    i wonder if it will leave you a note ''dear john.....'' when it trundles off to the neighbors house that is growing with a 600w light instead of your 400w.........sneaky little ..........
    Fathers nearly silent fan and fillter modClick here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Father jack View Post
    125w should be plenty in there! what ever you do dont put a 250W in unless you have good outtake lol

looking cool dude
    Get plenty of passive intake man, just becuase CFL run cooler by comparrison doesn't mean they dont generate heat, they do, and a fair bit, so be ready to honeycomb the draws to let the heat out, and fresh air in

Couple of pc fans for a bit of air movement, and roberts your mother's brother

Thanks

i like it. great off the cuff idea. i agree with the 125 cfl.

Thanks

UPDATE TIME!

So I've been busy again this morning

Decided to add some PC fans (Which I have loads of).
    I cut out my holes, slightly smaller that the fans obviously, then ran a bead of sillicone along the edge and attached my fans.

I also used duct tape to hold them firmly in place, the sillicone is a precautionary measure to ensure a good seal.

These two are going to be intake fans

I should point out that it is very handy to have a 12v battery to hand so you can test out things like air flow direction etc..

I went with 4 fans in the end.
    Two in and two out.

Now you may think two fans is a lot, and I would agree however I have added some black cloth for filtration and to act as a muffler which halves the intensity of the fans so I doubled them up to compensate.
    After all we don't want nasty dust and crap to get in there do we, and also I don't want light beaming out when I'm trying to sleep lol.

I simply cut up and stretched peices of the black T-shirt I was wearing at the time over the fans and held them in place with rubber bands like so...

Yep, so far this build has literally cost me the shirt off my back lol.

I placed the two exhaust fans right at the top of the box where the heat will build up (heat rises) while cooler air will be pulled in from the bottom and middle.

I also wondered how I was going to hang my lights when I came up with this idea using a coat hanger.
    A crudely fashioned device to hang the light and also hold the reflector which will be the lid of a tin foil takeaway container.
    I read that idea here somewhere so I must say thanks for the idea!!!!

Now I'm not sure how light proof the box is yet, I guess I'll find that out when I finally get it all up and running.

I must point out to anyone who follows this, that it is purely experimental and I have no idea what's gonna happen or if it will work.
    Obviously I will keep this post up to date and will post any probs I find and solutions to them, but if you follow this, you do so at your own risk.

On another note, I never knew how great duct tape could be... It's f00kin brilliant stuff.. I think I might build a house out of it lol.

One thing I don't know, as I've mentioned, is if the box will be light proof ie for flowering uses.
    But when my main room is ready, I may consider turning this project into a mini grow from veg to flower.

I do have a question which I hope someone can help with.

When I take my cuttings, I'll be putting them in small pots with half a plastic bottle over the top to keep the humidity real high (like a mini greenhouse), so what sort of distance should I put the CFL away from the bottle...
    Obviously I don't want no fires.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast