Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: The ultimate topping and fiming thread

Thanks

Views on topping autos? Always left them to grow normally but thinking of topping my next one to see how it goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr Anonymous Green For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-07-21), naber (30-12-16)

Viz Guest

Topped my Pepsi girl. Was looking great, a contender (pmsl) till I knocked her over and she landed with her crown in front of the heater. Crispy hair cut. Know of quite a few folks here who top Auto.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrG View Post
    Topping & FIMing
    With both topping and FIMing, the growth tips that become new colas are already present. They just get bigger and become colas*because topping and FIMing*breaks the symmetry of the plant and exposes these growth tips to light and air. Instead of focusing on just one cola, the plant starts focusing on many growth tips until they become colas.

Actually this is not due to exposure to light and air. It's a phenomenon called "apical dominance". The apex of the shoot (I believe it is what you call "cola"?) produces an auxin plant hormone called IAA (Indole-3-acetic acid) that inhibits growth of the lateral buds further down on the stem towards the axillary bud. When the apical bud is removed, the lowered IAA concentration allows the lateral buds to grow and produce new shoots, which compete to become the lead growth.

Otherwise a very informative read.
    I'm a plant biologist by education, but very new to the world of cannabis growing (Planning to start my first grow soon from seed).
    I took the liberty to edit this thread in a word document, corrected some errors (like the above) and made it more readable (fewer asterisks and repetitions, etc.)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BananaLizard For This Useful Post:

Subterranean Man (28-07-18)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4