Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Amazon system: low ph after changing to 12/12.

Thanks

Default Amazon system: low ph after changing to 12/12.

Hi all,

I have 4 clones in a 4 pot Amazon system with a SCROG. They've just started the second week of 12/12 and no pistils are showing yet. I'm using half strength Canna Aqua vega A&B plus half strength cannazym, with the TDS at 250 (0.5 EC) and dropping slowly. I'll increase the nutes at the next res change. I just changed over from a 400W HPS to a 600W HPS. Temps are: day 25C and 19 ish at night. Res temp is kept at 19 or 20C.

My problem is the ph has been dropping constantly. I'll adjust it to 5.9 first thing, then mid afternoon the ph is back down at 5.3 or so. I'll adjust it upwards again then it's back down about 5.3 at night. I'm using ph up to regulate the ph.

I thought it could be the cannazym breaking down the old roots, but I'm not sure. I encountered the same problem last grow, but the ph sorted itself out after starting to use Canna Aqua flores nutes.

Does anyone know what is causing the drop in ph? Also, what nutes do you fellow Amazon system growers use?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The old dog For This Useful Post:

Catch_E_Monkey (07-07-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,513 Times

0.5 ec are you sure they are still alive that is starving the poor fuckers.
    Do you let the wawer stand for 24 hours before you add it to your amazon as tap water is full of all sorts of shite these days which could be why you are experiencing ph fluctuations
    I used to use Canna Aqua when i had a couple of Amazons about 5 years back and tbh i had similar probs if i remember correctly.
    Imnice

4. The Following User Says Thank You to imnice For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I let the plants tell me whether I'm feeding them enough or not, and the EC is falling slowly each day, so no, they're not starving. I thought the ph rises as the EC drops, but my ph is dropping as the EC drops slowly.

Yes, I let the water stand for 24 hours or so before putting it into the Amazon. Mind you, if someone can convince me otherwise, I'll increase the nutes, but this would surely drop the ph even more.

I'm thinking it's the Cannazym myself.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The old dog For This Useful Post:

Thanks

[QUOTE=imnice;1070079929]0.5 ec are you sure they are still alive that is starving the poor fuckers.

In my defence, I've received conflicting advice re feeding, and the plants do look healthy and they are growing like weeds. However, I decided to act on your comment and I increased the TDS to 400 (EC 0.8). The TDS is stable just now, so thanks for bringing this to my attention: I'll be changing over to flores nutes in a week or so, but I'll keep the TDS around 400 for research purposes before my next grow. Ph is still dropping to around 5.3 thrice daily. (

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The old dog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 17,323 Times

Most times that usually means your plant wants more calcium if ur PH is dropping quickly mate, personally i carry on with vegg nutes during the switch for first couple of weeks untill they start showing true flower

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesse Pinkman For This Useful Post:

Catch_E_Monkey (07-07-15), Jingo (30-12-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Pinkman View Post
    Most times that usually means your plant wants more calcium if ur PH is dropping quickly mate, personally i carry on with vegg nutes during the switch for first couple of weeks untill they start showing true flower
    Nice one: thanks Jesse. I'll look to the calcium next grow.

I do the same as you with the veg nutes, and don't start with flores until the pistils have started appearing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to The old dog For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Here's an update in case anyone is interested.

I raised this issue with those friendly guys at Premier Hydroponics. My problem was that the ph was very low when using Canna Aqua Vega nutes. I was advised that I should have been using these nutes in conjunction with Rhizotonic, Cannazym and Canna Boost, which all combined in the reservoir would give a ph in the correct range for hydro.

My argument now is that you should only use Cannazym and Rhizotonic if required: they're rather expensive ph adjusters in my mind and I'd rather use an alkaline nutrient to raise the ph if it is low.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to The old dog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,172 Times

Don't worry about the pH mate just correct it every day..aim for 5.8/9.. when in veg i correct the pH by adding liquid silicon, not pH up. The only problem with that is that its easy to lose track of the real EC of the solution, so change res every 7-10 days. Btw. In flower you'll find the pH starts to drop, the rise later on.. funny things amazons.

I use advanced nutrients pH perfect in my amazon and feed at a 1/4 of the recommended dose, well just under.

Check my grow diary out for some amazon flowering action.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Upton For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for the advice Upton. I pretty much do all that already, but silicon is a new on me and I'll go look into that: thanks.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to The old dog For This Useful Post:

Thanks

BTW, I was going to try the advanced nutrients ph perfect nutes for veg, but I'm defo happy with the Canna flores nutes with PK 13/14. Interesting to see you're using the nutes at 1/4 strength.

Have you modified your Amazon at all? I'm going to fit the nozzles into the lid for ease of replacement, should one become blocked during the grow.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to The old dog For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast