Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Smart meters, the future is looking grim for growers.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Quote Originally Posted by mrnice22 View Post
    Them smart meters are stupid and will only lead to a new breed of people hacking at them. I'd imagine you'd only need the right equipment and a tool called wireshark to sniff the data. After that who knows what could be achieved. I think the smart meters are for data purposes which company's pay millions for. Hopefully by then growing will finally be legal and we won't have to worry
    Grab a copy of Back Track... it's got much better 'toys' A copy of Termineter is worth a play with too

Apparently GCHQ have been charged with securing the data... but I don't hold much faith in their abilities to do so, everything can be hacked, it just takes time...
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

BritishBotanics (01-09-16), GEORGE (14-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,977 Times

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    Grab a copy of Back Track... it's got much better 'toys' A copy of Termineter is worth a play with too

Apparently GCHQ have been charged with securing the data... but I don't hold much faith in their abilities to do so, everything can be hacked, it just takes time...
    I have kali linux

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BritishBotanics For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-03-17), M_C (01-09-16)

Thanks

LOL - a 2 minute search....

British consumers could easily hack into controversial new smart meters, allowing them to illegally slash their energy bills, cyber-security experts have warned.
    The caution came as top White Hall apparatchiks met with energy industry leaders today to discuss plans that will see the the devices installed in every British home by 2020.
    Smart meters are supposed to provide more accurate bills by constantly monitoring energy use and sending this information to utility providers in real time.
    But cyber security experts have warned that these devices can be easily hacked to send false information.
    "Smart meters could be hacked to under-report consumption and this should act as warning to the British programme," said Alejandro Rivas-Vásquez, principal adviser in KPMG’s Cyber Security department. "If the technology could be hacked for fraud, hackers with more nefarious intent may use these flaws for other purposes."
    In Spain, researchers have already managed to hack smart meters and send false information to energy providers.
    The UK has set out guidelines aimed at beefing up the security of smart meters, but this might not be enough to stop determined hackers finding a way to bypass protections.

“Cyber criminals and cyber terrorists are improving their capabilities very quickly," Rivas-Vásquez continued.
    He said that industry and regulators needed to start thinking and acting much more quickly if they want to stop a free energy bonanza.
    Previous energy innovations have been attractive to criminals.
    Criminals were also quick to hack top-up cards for prepaid electricity meters when they were introduced in the noughties, in some cases going door to door to sell cheaper, illegal energy credit to customers.

In chilly Scotland, the problem was particularly acute. This reporter once exposed the organised gangs that knocked on vulnerable, elderly people's doors to flog them fake energy credit.
    Between now and 2020, more than 50 million new smart meters will be rolled out to 30 million homes across Britain.
    Previous research has suggested that smart meters will save British homes just £26 a year and will cost a total of £10.6bn to install across the country.
    The Westminster Energy, Environment & Transport Forum is meeting today at the Royal Society in London. This event is called "Delivering the Smart Meter Implementation Plan: roll‐out, privacy and consumer engagement"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-03-17)

Thanks

Totally agree with this I'm not really that concerned about my electric use since my computer uses more than my grow does my main concern is being in flower and some twat hacktavist kid shuts down the local network.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BritishBotanics For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post

Never heard of that Termineter though just Googled it can't belive there's already a tool for it

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BritishBotanics For This Useful Post:

Thanks

But if you get caught using it, it will surly be abstraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to marque08 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-03-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marque08 View Post
    But if you get caught using it, it will surly be abstraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gotta get caught first, and it's something that even a novice could clear their tracks from as all they will really have is a MAC address to identify you.... and if that MAC address was spoofed, what then?

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

BritishBotanics (01-09-16), GEORGE (14-03-17), marque08 (01-09-16), tlh2496 (16-02-17)

Thanks

Or ran though a vm with a mac spoof Hit the nail on the head there m_c, if nsa can be hacked I'm sure everything is pretty much hackable not until quantum encryption comes into play china recently put a satallite into orbit that uses lasers.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BritishBotanics For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Had a letter today from my energy supplier. They reckon that they are going to install a smart meter in my property.... they reckon wrong!

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Blue (14-03-17), ERBURT (14-03-17), GEORGE (14-03-17), joker_the_smoker (14-03-17), Loki (14-03-17), TheDogsNutts (14-03-17), TOKER_REX (14-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 39,741 Times

Do you have the choice to refuse???

Autos
    Redemption Grow Take 2

Photo's
    Green lizard lick growing
    Exodus cheese exo-bition

THERE IS A STRICT 10 PLANT MAXIMUM RULE ON THIS SITE!.YOU WILL BE BANNED FOR BREACHING THIS!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ERBURT For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-03-17), M_C (14-03-17)

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast