Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Mars II 900W Fan Replacement Guide

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 17,171 Times

Default Mars II 900W Fan Replacement Guide

Hi Guys,
    I thought I would write a quick guide on how to replace the stock fans on a Mars II 900w, this guide thou can be pretty much used on all the Mars II units as the only difference looks to be the amount of fans on each unit.

I am loving the Mars II 900w at the second, the only downside for me is that it was the loudest thing in my wardrobe, that I am growing in. I used an app on my phone called “Sound Metre”, to measure the decibels (dB), that the stock fans were running at, and it registered as 68 dB.

So first things first, what you will need to carry out this modification. You will need a cross headed screwdriver, and a pair of small clippers, I think that’s what they are called, I have taken a picture below of what I used:

You will also need 4 replacement fans, the ones I decided on are as below, these were about £5 each and offered a low dB, and high airflow, and were also reasonably priced:

These fans are 120mm fans, and obviously you can pick whatever fans suit your purposes. One more thing to note thou, the fans I have bought have a 3 pin connector, whereas the stock fans had a 2 pin connector, so I also bought 4 adapters from ebay, as pictured below:

Right the first thing I always do on a job like this is take a few pictures with your phone, so you have a reference point to look at if you do make any mistakes. I also put a piece of tape on the unit so I can see which way it should be orientated, as below:

TBC
    Last edited by Samwise Gamgee; 04-01-15 at 02:30 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

Jesse Pinkman (04-01-15), Mazzer (05-01-15), M_C (31-03-16), Oxy (04-01-15), Raggidy (05-01-15)

Thanks

I now just add the cables to the fans, as below:

To remove the lid of Mars II unit, on the 900w there are 2 silver screws per side, so you need to remove 8 screws in total. Once removed, then the trickiest part of the mod is probably next, you need to disconnect the fan leads to enable you to detach the top. I used a screw driver propped in the gap to give me the room to do this, if you have someone to help then you can get them to hold the lid up well you cut the cable ties and disconnect the fan headers.

I have added some pictures below, so hopefully you can see what I mean:

So once you removed the cable tie, and disconnected the fan headers, on each side of the unit, you can then remove the lid. As below, you then have 2 parts to the unit, the heatsink, and the fan array:

You don’t really need to do anything with the heatsink, so you can move that to one side.

Now comes to replacing the fans, its best to do one at a time, and make sure you orientate the fan the same way as the installed fan, so lay it out, in the right orientation before removing the stock fan. The stock fan is held on with 2 silver screws in the corner, and is connected via a 2 pin header. Once unscrewed remove the fan slowly until you see the 2 pin connector, connecting it to the unit, then disconnect that header, and remove the stock fan. Now put the new fan in with the wires on top pointing to the centre of the unit, there are 4 standoffs that the fan slots onto on the unit, you then just screw them back in. You then need to just to plug in the 2 pin adapter on the new fan, into the 2 pin header on the Mars unit, just remember RED to RED, BLACK to BLACK, obviously with it being 2 pin you have a 50% chance of guessing correctly, but as long as the red cable on one side is the same ion the side it will work, if not your fans will not spin.

TBC

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

Jesse Pinkman (04-01-15), M_C (04-07-15), Oxy (04-01-15), Raggidy (05-01-15), SmokeSara (04-05-16)

Thanks

The two notes of importance above are making sure the fans are orientated properly otherwise they will not be extracting air, and that the you have connected the 2 pin adapters correctly. Like I say for the fans, its wires up pointing to the middle, and for the cables RED to RED. BLACK to BLACK, if you follow this advice you won’t go wrong.

So this is how the array finally looks on my unit:

Once all the fans have been replaced and connected correctly, you just need to make the sure the wires are sitting between the fans and then reconnect the heatsink to the fan array. If you put a piece of tape as described above its easy to see the orientation of the two units. Don’t forget to connect all the wires you disconnected before.

Once done plug in and test, make sure that all the fans are spinning, and notice how much quieter sound the unit is giving off 
    I measured the dB with the new fans and it was down to 32 dB, so a difference of 36 dB, it now sounds no louder than an Xbox 360, and it will hopefully also help keep temps down, as these fans shift more air.

Hope this guide helps someone, and please feel free to Private Message me If I can answer any questions

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

badbillybob (04-07-15), Budbomb (04-01-15), High Rockies (23-04-16), Jack Power (06-01-15), Jesse Pinkman (04-01-15), McPuffin (04-01-15), M_C (04-01-15), Oxy (04-01-15), Raggidy (05-01-15), SmokeSara (04-05-16), Type M (17-06-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 17,323 Times

Brilliant detailed guide mate

Thanks for sharing

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jesse Pinkman For This Useful Post:

Budbomb (04-01-15), Jack Power (06-01-15), Oxy (04-01-15), Samwise Gamgee (04-01-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,829 Times

Well done Judd that's a sweet how to guide,top marks lol,I'll be sure to copy this wen I do mine

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Budbomb For This Useful Post:

Oxy (04-01-15), Samwise Gamgee (04-01-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Budbomb View Post
    Well done Judd that's a sweet how to guide,top marks lol,I'll be sure to copy this wen I do mine
    Cheers Budbomb, any probs let me know, I am happy to help where I can.

I also checked the temps after about 4 hours running and the temps are down by 3 degrees, so not only does it run quieter, it runs cooler as well

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

Budbomb (04-01-15), M_C (06-01-15), Oxy (04-01-15), Type M (17-06-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 34,377 Times

sweet thanks judd, ..... i'll still fuck it up you watch, will give it a crack after this grow, when me buds are drying . ...... ooooooh fook watch this space. lol i will have the hps for back up . thanks again fella , great read. you done well . hope you don't mind pm'ing you with thick ass questions when the time comes. .

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Oxy For This Useful Post:

Samwise Gamgee (04-01-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
    sweet thanks judd, ..... i'll still fuck it up you watch, will give it a crack after this grow, when me buds are drying . ...... ooooooh fook watch this space. lol i will have the hps for back up . thanks again fella , great read. you done well . hope you don't mind pm'ing you with thick ass questions when the time comes. .
    No probs at all Oxy, like I say it aint as complicated as it looks, its pretty straight forward, I am happy to help anytime

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

Oxy (05-01-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 9,472 Times

Nice one judd i was going to give mine a clean out after this grow. Whilst i am there i might as well change the fans. I am sure i have some sp120 fans in the shed, not only keeping it cooler but i would guess increasing the life span of the unit to.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kbag For This Useful Post:

Oxy (05-01-15), Samwise Gamgee (04-01-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kbag View Post
    Nice one judd i was going to give mine a clean out after this grow. Whilst i am there i might as well change the fans. I am sure i have some sp120 fans in the shed, not only keeping it cooler but i would guess increasing the life span of the unit to.
    Hi kbag, its definitely worth it, I have noticed hell of a difference today, I have been running the LED with stock fans for the last week, and there was an audible hum, that you could hear, I am not saying that unless you were listening for it you would have heard it, but I could notice it.

That hum has now gone and I can hear the fans when I am stood next to the drobe, but its a very low hardly noticeable hum.

Its a bit hard to explain something like sound to anyone else, but you won't regret doing it if stealth is a concern where your growing.

Any questions, feel free to drop me a message fella

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

Budbomb (04-01-15), kbag (06-01-15), Oxy (05-01-15), Roybo (18-01-15)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast