Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Diy aeroponic scrog machine

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,585 Times

Default Diy aeroponic scrog machine

OK, so this is a drawing of an aeroponics system that i will be building for my next grow, its going to be a 6 plant system designed around me wanting to scrog and only scrog....

the large black tubs are an 84l really useful stuff box and also a 42l one for housing the pumps and emptying the system etc.... the light blue thicker pipe work is 50mm pvc pipe fittings that will connect the system together at the base so they are connected together much like a rdwc system.... the orange boxes are pumps, one for the chiller (brown box) and one as the main feed pump, you can see that the darker blue coloured pipe work is for water being pushed by a pump, and the lighter blue coloured pipes are returning the feed....

the three plant channels/rails will all have a pipe going down from the base of the tray at the end where they are overhanging the res and that will allow the nutes to flow into the main res, from there gravity and the pumps in the pump house will pull the nutes through and back into the res where one will be pumped into the chiller for cooling down, and the other feed pump.... im going to build the whole thing from solid pipe work where possible.... and i am gong to use 180 degree sprayers/sprinklers like in the aeroflo system...

any thoughts on this, and although it may look complicated, but its built like that for ease of use and maintenance when in use, everything going out of the pump house res is going through the sides of the tubs so the lid can be taken of for full access to both of the pumps....

would love to work out a way to get the roots into the big 84l res as this would make it an absolute beast of a system imo...

anyway, i thought i would post this to get any comments and suggestions...

thanks for looking and i hope it makes sense... lol

Peace.. IJ

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ironjustice For This Useful Post:

ggotch (20-05-15), M_C (31-01-15), Oxy (19-04-15), Upton (28-03-15)

Thanks

ok so here is the final design.. this run it will be much simpler to see how i get on with it, i will just have the one res and two gullies or channels, next time its going to be like this...

its actually a scale drawing and the background is the same footprint as a 1.5m area... so everything will fit as is shown in the picture, im hoping to find a fast finishing strain i can run clones for, 1.2m scrog and six plants in an aeroflo system should be a very quick veg as far as scrogs are concerned, and if i like it that much i will more than likely stick all my leds in there and get the most i can from it...

anyway... any comments good or bad will be appreciated..

Peace.. IJ

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ironjustice For This Useful Post:

Jesse Pinkman (13-02-15), McPuffin (03-02-15), Oxy (19-04-15), Upton (28-03-15)

Thanks

How easy will it be to change and or clean the spray heads? I just completed my first run using low pressure spray heads but use a 35 liter tray/tote for the net pots above a 100 liter tote. I had to remove three heads and clean them but it was not a huge deal until all of the roots wraped around the feeder tubes and the lid wouldnt budge lol. I was going to run tubes which I have but i now just remove the whole lid, plants and all and move to the flowering res.. Looks good though, nice plan! I just added more heads to have redundant sprayers in case of blockage. I think most if not all the blockages were caused by little pieces of plastic stuck in the pipe that I missed. After the first couple of weeks there were no issues. Good luck! My setup rocked some great plants for a first run. Keep posting the results, interested in seeing some DIY systems!

Thanks

Well i feel like screaming and smashing the whole lot to bits... mrs was in town today i asked her to get me a hole cutter set and she got me a 45 quid set which i wasn't impressed at the price, but the bigger hole cutters the arbor doesnt fit my shitty old drill ffs...

and as for the spray heads you can just pull them out and change them clean them, easy as that.. they sit in the top of the chamber and just slot in, the pipe work is all external so nothing to get tangled.. its a really well thought out design imo and if anything goes wrong its all accessible... im thinking that i am going to have to rethink what i am doing here though cos i am having a mare building the system.. for various reasons.. so may end up building a 4 plant rdwc system and use that this grow lol and then i can build this aero system in my own time rather than rushing a bodge job lol

wish i had the head room for two totes on eachother.. whats the total height of your system..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ironjustice For This Useful Post:

imnice (09-02-15)

Thanks

Did I read rite dood in your xstream you put root riots into it? I've got a bucket aeroponic jobbie with spray head but was unsure wether to use the neoprene collars and net pots or root riots and netpots.. And wouldn't the rootriots get too wet? Sorry for the q's. Having problems with it.. Made it, cut the lid and now the humidity dome cuts over a couple of the holes cause I havnt done them far enough away from the lid edge lol

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,513 Times

Why not have none of the messing with sprayers and do a birmingham bubbler.
    Imnice

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imnice View Post
    Why not have none of the messing with sprayers and do a birmingham bubbler.
    Imnice

lol cos i want to grow in aero, not dwc.. if i did i would build a RDWC system with totes and 50mm returns, two plants per 84l tote 4 week veg 840w.. would be good, almost ordered the other bits to do it last night as well lol but the aero system is going ahead, i ordered a new cordless drill (needed one anyway) and all the hole cutters i need.. the reason for aero over dwc is the faster growth rates in these systems, its reported to be incredible and from what i have seen online i am convinced and always have been convinced that aeroponics is the best way to grow.. i have done dwc, currently also doing nft and a flood and drain.. only way to find out is to try it..

peace.. IJ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McPuffin View Post
    Did I read rite dood in your xstream you put root riots into it? I've got a bucket aeroponic jobbie with spray head but was unsure wether to use the neoprene collars and net pots or root riots and netpots.. And wouldn't the rootriots get too wet? Sorry for the q's. Having problems with it.. Made it, cut the lid and now the humidity dome cuts over a couple of the holes cause I havnt done them far enough away from the lid edge lol
    yeah i now sink my seeds, cut a third of the bottom of the cube of and stick them in the cube and stick them in the x stream, dont turn the pump on and have the humidity dome on, and you will see roots out the bottom soon enough and the grow into the darkness and then i turn the pump on 24/7 within a few days its roots all over, and really healthy seedlings.. once the sprout is up i stick the neoprene collar around it.. that why i chop the bottom third of the cube.. you can then transplant into whatever medium you like just be careful pulling out the roots if you do take them out of the 2" pots, i think its best to just put the 2" pot inside the bigger pot or whatever without disturbing them...

anyway.. as said i stuck yet more shit on my credit card last night and bought a decent makita cordless drill and a hole cutter and bit set from screwfix... its been dispatched so wil be here tomorrow and i can get the system finished.. i did some more work, well what i could at least... progrow are sending me a new pump that will be here tomorrow and i have a few pics of the system so far, and some pics to show the sprinklers etc..

coming right up..

Thanks

Ok so this is the mk1 version, or prototype.... So I can identify problems and iron out any wrinkles that I come across on this first grow...

This is as far as I am, couldn't do a great deal as I cant find half my tools as since we moved I haven't used them lol

Overall layout.... The two holes as the front are inspection caps so not for plants...

This is a universal sealing gland what let's the feed pipe through and into the main delivery pipe..

And the sprayers, now these are quite clever as the water as it comes out of the injection line hits the flat piece and that sprays the water in a 180° angle... No spinning or working parts to break....

Sprayer facing out

And sprayer facing in...

Now from what I have Bern reading people are saying the best results are achieved by having them facing in and the spray hitting the wall and breaking into even smaller droplets and cascading down the rigged inside wall of the chamber... So I'm going to try one one way and in the other channel I'll do it the other and see what is what...

More to come later as I am going to cut the access hatch in the box lid, make the hatch cover and get everything else ready for when the bits turn up tomorrow... Both channels will be Mylar wrapped as well and probably the whole thing lol

by the way the iws sealing glands make a good way to get half inch or 5/8 tubing in and out of a res with a lightproof waterproof seal with no glue or messing, it will let the tube pass through as well and seal it nicely.. I will be using these for my chiller returns etc

Peace... IJ

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ironjustice For This Useful Post:

FACE (28-03-15), Fairy (09-02-15), imnice (09-02-15), Oxy (19-04-15), Upton (28-03-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,513 Times

Well i know a fella who did all what you did and he was meticulous in his attention to detailing his custom system yet it all went pete tong when his sprayers clogged up and his plants were near fucked in just a single day without water also his roots trailed into his res like what you mentioned you would like and also clogged up his feed pump consequently he had to ditch the aero system for nft as it was more reliable.
    Btw i have grown in amazons modified to be better and they were shite in always having to keep tabs on everything compared to what i do now.
    So that was the method in my madness in making the comment Iron.
    I'll try and find his thread from another site and pm it to you.
    Imnice

15. The Following User Says Thank You to imnice For This Useful Post:

ironjustice (10-02-15)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast