Thread: Cabinet - too small?

Thanks

Default Cabinet - too small?

Hi
    This is my first post. Have decided to take first steps into growing and I'm thinking about getting this box. Dimensions are 910x457x457mm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xru4JR95_j4

I only want to do a small grow enough for me. I was thinking about the smaller one of the 2 and doing soil probably start with N.Lights. The spec on the setup is this. Do you think it is ok? Would I realistically be able to micro grow anything in there or ks it too small? At best how many plants do you think I could get in there and at best (with some practice) what kind of yield? I'm half tempted to go for the bigger box but I have to be super stealthy coz I've got family.I definitely want to go LED though because of the heat. Always police in helicopter round here! Many thanks

• One HydroGrow 21X PRO LED Light
    •One 4 inch Rhino Hobby Filter - 150 m3/h - lasts up to two years
    •One S&P TD160/100 Silent Extraction Fan - Rated at 160m3/hr , Only 24dB - Dual speed

•One Meter of High quality Acoustic Ducting - Contains additional plastic membrane
    •One Low Noise Intake Fan - Rated at 21DB
    •One Molex Power Adapter - Powers Intake Fan
    •Eight Magnetic Hooks - Each supports 25KG of vertically hung weight

•One Pre-fitted 4 Inch male connector - Allows ducting to be fitted easily at both ends
    •Four Wire Hangers

•One 500ml Bottle of Biobizz Grow

•One 500ml Bottle of Biobizz Bloom
    •One 50L Bag of Biobizz All Mix
    •Four Pots

Thanks

Hey, welcome

I'm on my first grow and using a DIY cabinet that's a bit shorter than the small box (got some photos in the LED diary section if you want a look).

The small box would fit one plant, maybe two at a push. Would need to pick the strain carefully, but you should be okay with an Auto Northern Lights that'll grow between 60-90cm or shorter if you use a training method to keep the plant shorter and bushy instead of growing tall. Remember you don't want the plant getting too close to the light, even LED or it'll get upset with the heat. Oh..and don't forget to take the height of the pot in to account when planning heights (like I did). It can be a squeeze but its all possible, some folk grow inside PC cases!

Don't know about the value on these boxes, seem a bit expensive to me, if you add-up what you'd pay if you build a DIY version.

For super stealthy, you could get a small but tall grow-tent off ebay and a wardrobe from Gumtree or similar, then buy the other bits and pieces yourself.

Oh and the Rhino Hobby filter, according to Rhino, it's effective for 9-12 months, so could probably expect to replace it well before the 2-years. The pro filters last a bit longer (18 months) but probably depends how smelly your plants are too. That's another thing to think about for the stealth approach, but from what I hear, Northern Lights is one of the less smelly strains.

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hula For This Useful Post:

Hedonistic Hippy (30-04-15), SkunkBudda403 (30-04-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,776 Times

I've just read up on these boxes... & call bullshit on their claims - the chavy looking guy on the youtube vid doesn't inspire any confidence either!

Let's break things down a little further for you...

One HydroGrow 21X PRO LED Light - they claim "with tested PAR output matching that of a 150W HPS" yet provide no supporting evidence but say it is suitable for a 1"x1" area (or 300mmx300mm) but the box has a 457mmx457mm foot print so the light is being quoted as sufficient for a smaller size than the box - also don't forget to subtract the 'working height' of 300mm (& height of lamp plus fittings) so now your 'growing height' of the box is 610mm (max) or 24"... this also includes the pot height

One 4 inch Rhino Hobby Filter - 150 m3/h - lasts up to two years. Rhino, the manufacturer of the filter quote a life span of 9-12 months & an air flow of 350m3/hr. Someone is being economical with the truth & I suspect that it isn't Rhino!... and does it mention that the hobby filters have to be 'turned' every 3 months? (didn't think so!)

Enough said... and all the above costs £776.99 - I wouldn't touch it!

As Hula says, you could put together your own package for significantly less...
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Ezroller (30-04-15), k3vbhoy (30-04-15), SkunkBudda403 (30-04-15)

Thanks

srcub that BOX idea and get a tent , If you get this box , before your first grow finishes you WILL be buying another box or tent anyway , so just start with the tent , buy a good light and then put together a venting package , trust me I know , been there done that