Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Anybody into rosin?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,174 Times

I've got one of these citrus presses here so I think I'll explore that option. Just have to keep my eyes peeled for a discarded hair straightener, shouldn't be too hard this time of year.
    Could also buy one but I'm not in a hurry and prefer to recycle junked items over buying.

EDIT: one major mistake they guy in the video made is using those thick wooden blocks because it doesn't allow the arm to go down far enough to reach a position that gives him good leverage.
    Last edited by Cleargreen; 19-12-19 at 03:35 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (19-12-19), MrC (19-12-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 63,026 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Cleargreen View Post

I've got one of these citrus presses here so I think I'll explore that option. Just have to keep my eyes peeled for a discarded hair straightener, shouldn't be too hard this time of year.
    Could also buy one but I'm not in a hurry and prefer to recycle junked items over buying.
    I'll have a look at that later on. I got 2 daughters mate so hair straighteners a plenty.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (19-12-19), GEORGE (19-12-19)

Thanks

If I had these plates, pricey I know, and a hydraulic pump do you reckon they're the main ingredients for the rosin press, anything else is just housing? Not that I'm gonna go off and buy em, just ponderin shit lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	378339

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (31-12-19), GEORGE (31-12-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCannab1sir View Post
    If I had these plates, pricey I know, and a hydraulic pump do you reckon they're the main ingredients for the rosin press, anything else is just housing? Not that I'm gonna go off and buy em, just ponderin shit lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	378339
    I guess so sir, although, I guess most of what seems like "just housing" is actually the frame to contain the pressure of the hydraulic pump, and then covered in some sheet metal to tidy it up a bit so technically only the sheet metal would be the "just housing" part.
    But it's true that there isn't much to these rosin presses. Just like cars btw, ever seen a car without the paint on and all the plastic junk fitted to them? Doesn't look like much at that stage either

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-12-19), MrC (31-12-19)

Thanks

I guess so sir, although, I guess most of what seems like "just housing" is actually the frame to contain the pressure of the hydraulic pump, and then covered in some sheet metal to tidy it up a bit so technically only the sheet metal would be the "just housing" part.
    But it's true that there isn't much to these rosin presses. Just like cars btw, ever seen a car without the paint on and all the plastic junk fitted to them? Doesn't look like much at that stage either
    I watched the flintstones as a kid does that count?
    Yeh I guess, maybe use a safe? grind the back off if thats possible, one of those home office safes on its end? Just brainstorming on the fly lol. Blue Peter never really covered the essentials in their make-along sessions did they, fuck tracey island show us how to make a "flower press"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (01-01-20), GEORGE (01-01-20)

Thanks

I watched the flintstones as a kid does that count?
    Yeh I guess, maybe use a safe? grind the back off if thats possible, one of those home office safes on its end? Just brainstorming on the fly lol. Blue Peter never really covered the essentials in their make-along sessions did they, fuck tracey island show us how to make a "flower press"
    I'm not sure safes are made to withstand pressure building up from the inside aren't they typically made of relatively thin steel with concrete on the inside? concrete is great with compression but not with expansion (not sure I'm using the right words here )
    As for Blue Peter and tracey island I haven't got a clue, that sounds like some UK cult stuff

I guess it all depends on how much pressure you are going for, the video I saw that shows those plates in your picture the guys was talking about a 6 to 12 ton press and had one in a proper steel frame structure with maybe a 5inch high I beam on the top. If only I had the money to splurge on such things then I'd build something serious like that as well.

Something I have been wondering about myself is how much force those hair straightener plates can handle before collapsing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-01-20)

Thanks

I've got a spare set I could try it on but I have no way of knowing how much pressure they take. I'm not sure on a small scale how much it would matter if you had a proper rosin press or straighteners in a vice. If I go full force with straighteners and a g clamp it squashes the gear flat as a pancake. I think before I buy/build anything I'm gonna use this t-shirt press see what that does. It's just heat and pressure at the end of the day, rosin press is just a more efficient way of doing it and obviously someway for someone to make a shit load of cash selling machines lol

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (01-01-20), GEORGE (01-01-20)

Thanks

I've got a spare set I could try it on but I have no way of knowing how much pressure they take. I'm not sure on a small scale how much it would matter if you had a proper rosin press or straighteners in a vice. If I go full force with straighteners and a g clamp it squashes the gear flat as a pancake. I think before I buy/build anything I'm gonna use this t-shirt press see what that does. It's just heat and pressure at the end of the day, rosin press is just a more efficient way of doing it and obviously someway for someone to make a shit load of cash selling machines lol
    There is a Nugsmasher video where they compare one of their small presses with a straightener. They pressed more rosin out of the leftovers from the straightener then they got out on the first press.
    But that was without anything to get more pressure on the straightener. Personally I wouldn't be too worried about pressing it all out, just toss the spent pucks in a bucket in your freezer and when full use it to infuse some coconut oil with or something to get any leftovers out. In the end it's still more efficient then smoking spliffs right?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (02-01-20), MrC (01-01-20)

Thanks

There is a Nugsmasher video where they compare one of their small presses with a straightener. They pressed more rosin out of the leftovers from the straightener then they got out on the first press.
    But that was without anything to get more pressure on the straightener. Personally I wouldn't be too worried about pressing it all out, just toss the spent pucks in a bucket in your freezer and when full use it to infuse some coconut oil with or something to get any leftovers out. In the end it's still more efficient then smoking spliffs right?
    Yeh I actually watched that last night, guy sat at his desk leanin on straighteners for 90 seconds lol. Easiest way for me so far has been to sift kief, squish it in to a block then press that, probably saves squishin a Qtr of bud. Tbf I've never got anything out of bud the few times I dared to risk 1g of flower doin it, probably didn't hold it long enough or not the right heat, need to grow just to be able to go through trial and error phase.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (01-01-20), GEORGE (02-01-20)

Thanks

Love the squish, 20.5 grams rosin squished out of 57 grams keif.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bafty_crastard For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-02-20), pppass (18-05-20)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast