Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fake Aeroponics Setup

Hobbit Guest

Default Fake Aeroponics Setup

Hi all, I have a diy fake aeroponics system for my first grow. Basically a hybrid sprayaponics dwc set up. The Tote that contains my plants has about an inch of water in the bottom at all times. My reservoir is seperate. I was happy with plant growth and speed. What im not happy with is my root mass. I feel it should be much larger than what I have. I am wondering if I should be aerating my reservoir. My timer is a 15min jobbie so comes on 15 mins goes off 15 min. I would have thought that was sufficient aeration as water sprays the root chamber and drains back to the reservoir. I am also using roots excelurator. The plants are 2 Fast 2 Vast. Do they have a small root system. Am I on the wrong track. Plants are on EC 2 and drinking around 3ltrs a day so its not all bad. I have seen some of the root masses others are getting. Cheers
    Last edited by Hobbit; 06-09-15 at 06:21 AM.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,056 Times

pics of your plants and setup are required matey so we can give you advice that will help . G

3. The Following User Says Thank You to G_UNIT For This Useful Post:

Jesse Pinkman (06-09-15)

Hobbit Guest

I guess what I want to know is do aeroponics growers airate their nutrient reservoir? Jesse roots like yours are what im talking about lol. Sorry I cant get decent pics.

Thanks

Tbh mate you don't see many aero growers about these days as the systems tend to take alot of maintenance due to sprayer nozzles getting blocked with nutrient salt build up or bits of crap so most find they are more hassle then they are worth and i have yet too see one out perform the good old dwc . In answer to your question , yes it's a good idea to aerate your res as it keeps the nutrients mixed more than anything . it'll have no real effect on your plants though as your aerating your nutrient solution by firing it through the nozzles every time you switch them on . G

6. The Following User Says Thank You to G_UNIT For This Useful Post:

Hobbit Guest

Cheers G. That all makes good sense. I ran this system for 2 months with micro jets and they got blocked. I switched to misters and put an inline filter in and have had no blockages in 2 months. I find this extremely lucky but it has been a breeze system. I am stoked with the plant performance for my first grow. I think I may try dwc next grow. I like those big root systems.

Thanks

I would consider running the misters all the time as the plants gets bigger as it will probably promote root growth . also what lights and lighting hours are you running . The main difference between your root ball and the like of mine is down to the system itself , because yours are not suspended in water they have to be built stronger to support their own mass . In a DWC such as mine the roots are weightless while suspended in the nutrient solution so they can grow un-restricted . G
    Last edited by G_UNIT; 06-09-15 at 11:57 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to G_UNIT For This Useful Post:

Hobbit Guest

Mate I ran it for 2 months using bag seed and base nutes in a 1mx1m tent under a 250 hps. I had major heat issues in that location. All went male. This round im about 2 months in 2 Fast 2Vast autos. They vegged under a 250mh then I found I got my heat issues under control they are flowering under a 600 dual spec. they vegged 24/0 under cause lights out was too cold. Flowering 18/6. Maybe strain has smaller root system. don't get me wrong they aren't small just not looking like the roots guys like Jesse have. They are also scrogged.
    Last edited by Hobbit; 06-09-15 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks

tbh the roots growth has alot to do with running autos aswell buddy , most of us with the giant rootballs veg for 5/6/7/8 weeks at a time to get them that big . G

Hobbit Guest

I hear you. Im using the all the bells and whistle additives this time round so maybe I got them as big as they go lol. I have no idea. Top half is A1. In your opinion when does root growth slow or stop or not. I live in a humid place in the next couple of months. Humidity has jumped up over 60% lights out in the last couple of days. Lights on im good. Wonder if I should/could wean them back to 24/0 for their last month or so. I have a 310m3/h can fan extraction which pulls through my filter and air cooled hood. 2 pc fans blowing the canopy. this set up runs 24/7 since day 1.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

G_UNIT (06-09-15)

Thanks

from my personal experience root growth seems to be pretty steady in veg , once they begin to flower the roots seem to explode with growth - just as they stretch above . from mid flower i can't say i notice much growth but tbh by that stage they are usually too big to lift so i don't pay much attention to them but i have noticed that as they come to the end they do start to loose a fair bit of root mass . this is usually around the same time i notice a drop off in nutrient uptake . One thing that has taken me by surprise is that alot of mine seem to almost stop eating near the end and they start eating themselves . alot of my 8 week flowering plants have seriously dropped of feeding around wk6/7 of true flower , This is usually the point at which i stop topping up the ec and just use fresh water until the end .

I use nothing but superthrive (1ml per gallon in veg only and as i don't do res changes it's in there for the full 8 weeks of veg ) , ionic grow and bloom . I haven't used any bloom boosters in years because i have never really seen the benefit of them but thats more of a matter of personal preference . G

15. The Following User Says Thank You to G_UNIT For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast