Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe for hps in uninsulated attic?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,557 Times

Default Is it safe for hps in uninsulated attic?

Hi guys I've just got my 1st grow started in the attic in a small tent. I'm growing 2 plants under a 300w cfl and a 300w vipar led. As far as I'm aware this method is pretty safe as there's not a big amount of heat produced from led or cfl.

After alot of reading up on this site it seems that I would get a far better result using a 400w hps.
    My problem with this is that there's no insulated panel's etc on the roof under the slates just a layer of water proofing and then the wooden joists so im very worried that without insulating my whole attic an hps would be a bad idea. Can anyone help explain what my best option would be?
    Thanks in advance

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheHottDawg View Post
    Hi guys I've just got my 1st grow started in the attic in a small tent. I'm growing 2 plants under a 300w cfl and a 300w vipar led. As far as I'm aware this method is pretty safe as there's not a big amount of heat produced from led or cfl.

After alot of reading up on this site it seems that I would get a far better result using a 400w hps.
    My problem with this is that there's no insulated panel's etc on the roof under the slates just a layer of water proofing and then the wooden joists so im very worried that without insulating my whole attic an hps would be a bad idea. Can anyone help explain what my best option would be?
    Thanks in advance
    Why not get another led mate and use 2 or a higher wattage?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dale1995 For This Useful Post:

TheHottDawg (11-09-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 32,237 Times

Hps will be fine I your loft mate a used to run 2 600 without a room n it was fine
    But one 400 u be cool as it's no gonna make u roof glow

sig by ganjaholic

current grow a multi strain bonanza perp run
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=129609

[cheisel the one kilo plant
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ad.php?t=99634complete
    kali snapple mother treehttps://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...le-mother-treecomplete
    forum rules please read
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ules-And-Facts
    Completeagent orange kali snapple critical kush sweettooth https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-critical-kush
    completehttps://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...lowering-diary

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FACE For This Useful Post:

TheHottDawg (11-09-15)

Thanks

Dale1995 I had considered that and it would probably help me sleep better having another led up there rather than a hot hps.
    If I were to get another led panel I'd be looking to go for a 700 or 900w panel and I just can't afford to get one atm.

Thanks

Cheers FACE I think that's what ill do. Wait until I'm ready to flip then get a 400 in the tent.
    I will need to upgrade my extraction at the same time as I can't keep temps below 27 just using cfl and led panel!
    Would the cfl and led be useless then with the hps? would I be better just taking them out to save money on elec? Thanks

Thanks

Dale1995 I had considered that and it would probably help me sleep better having another led up there rather than a hot hps.
    If I were to get another led panel I'd be looking to go for a 700 or 900w panel and I just can't afford to get one atm.
    I have ran 2 600watt HPS in my loft mate I filled all the gaps in between the joysts with king span and ran extraction out of the side of the house so it can be done mate I was just too paranoid about it being there as in winter I had no snow on my roof haha.

Thanks

Lol that's what I'm freaking about mate if it's snowing I need snow on my roof I don't want to be the talk of my street when winter comes.
    Would a 400w hps melt snow on my roof? I'd have a good fan and filter running 24/7 but I'm not venting outside just into the attic as I can't Vent into chimney as we are semi detached and I have tent on opposite side to stop the noise of my equipment reaching my neighbors.
    The temp of my attic is usually between 17 and 20 so is it fine to just let the air from tent into attic?

Thanks

Lol that's what I'm freaking about mate if it's snowing I need snow on my roof I don't want to be the talk of my street when winter comes.
    Would a 400w hps melt snow on my roof? I'd have a good fan and filter running 24/7 but I'm not venting outside just into the attic as I can't Vent into chimney as we are semi detached and I have tent on opposite side to stop the noise of my equipment reaching my neighbors.
    The temp of my attic is usually between 17 and 20 so is it fine to just let the air from tent into attic?
    Haha that's the reason I stopped mate I still had bits of snow on the roof there was just a patch were the 2 lights was that melted. I carnt see you having a problem with 1 400watt it's not too much heat is it I suppose it would just be like having a heater up there suppose it will just be like room temperature. I don't see you having any problems mate should be fine pal

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dale1995 For This Useful Post:

TheHottDawg (11-09-15)

Thanks

Like FACE said it won't make your roof glow and shouldn't even heat up your tiles on your roof. One thing is you will have a lot of heat problems in the summer up there mate

Thanks

Sounds good pal before I do that ill source a new extraction unit as I know what I'm currently running won't be able to cope. Well the filter seems decent it's just the fan isn't great for pulling out air fast enough for my liking but in saying that I've nothing to compare it too as this is my 1st attempt at anything like this lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast