Thread: Coffeeshop Katsu: have I just virtually stumbled on the best place in Amsterdam?

White Warg Guest

Question Coffeeshop Katsu: have I just virtually stumbled on the best place in Amsterdam?

Hey all,

I didn't put this in the review subforum as I have yet to try the place myself. I'm researching for my trip early next year and found this place by accident, it wasn't on my radar. But the reviews of it are astonishingly good and wanted to put it up before I make any reviews next year because I want to give the THCTalk meetup people a chance to consider it, along with anyone else going in the next few months.

Basically it's enough away from the centre and something of small journey you're not going to get the "great crush" of tourists wandering past, it's clearly a shop that's also for locals though they are - unlike some local places can be - tourist friendly. It also helps that the tourists who are going in are a "cut above the random mob" and are going to this place specifically to have a nice time and add to the vibe. The prices seem good too, and the menu has some nice things like allegations of "scissor hash", and their skuff (the Dutch classic) is 0.9 grams for 10 euros, so I tried the other coffeeshop menus... seems skuff is difficult to locate. Even 1e Hulp doesn't have it. I looked through two dozen menus at random, not one with skuff, though I'm sure you'll all locate them within moments of me posting this. Also their weed menu tops out with ONE thing at 13/g, the majority of the menu is 11-12/g.

On the coffeeshop directory user reviews? 27 positive, no negative or neutral ones. NONE.
    Google? 36 reviews, 4.8 out of 5.
    Trip Advisor? 26 reviews, mostly 5/5, a couple 4/5.

Pretty flawless reviews and a quick glance of other reviewy sites seem to confirm. One of the reviews - and I guess we should take it with a pinch of salt but anyway - said an ex-local had giving him a list of 5 hideaway coffeeshops to try and this was the best by far. And I'm only putting that down as so many other reviews give it the unambiguous thumb's-up.

http://www.katsu.nl/
    http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/Katsu.html
    http://www.coffeeshopmenus.org/Katsu/Menus/Katsu.html

From the Centraal Station it's Tram 16 or 24 to Albert Cuypstraat, turn left to walk up Gerard Doustraat, then first right down Eereste vand der Helstraat and it's a short trot down on the right.

The only reason I even noticed it is I was using Google maps to check out the nearby Sarphatipark, a park with many great reviews, so that's somewhere to head out when you've had enough inhaling. I did a Google Street and honestly it kind of looked like the local coffeeshops I used in The Hague. Anyway, would like any locals to chip-in if they've been to this place; also looking for other easy-to-access out-of-town coffeeshops with a great vibe/menu. I already have 1e Hulp on my hit-list, any other tips would be gratefully received... so often we chat and chat about the "usual suspects" in the centre.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to White Warg For This Useful Post:

reganlives (27-09-15)

Thanks

My favorite coffeeshop in amsterdam, highly recommended!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yekke For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-12-16)

Thanks

I also stumbled across Katsu when I was researching for my dam trip last year!!! Really wanted to go there but unfortunately never came across it while we were there. I'm sure we could've found it if we tried a bit harder but just kept getting distracted by all the other coffee shops on the way..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cannallama For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-12-16)

Thanks

Katsu is a very nice establishment. There's rumours that the license may not be renewed and such but so far going strong.

They usually have a nice mix on the menu, friendly lady at the counter and also will lend you stuff you need to get IRIE.

Be careful after visiting the rest room though

8. The Following User Says Thank You to inf3cted For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-12-16)