Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Growing cannabis and social services involvement if caught.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,664 Times

Quote Originally Posted by BobHop View Post
    ^This^ Don't want to say too much incase prying eyes ever looked over my posts on this forum. But if the knock at the door ever came, she'll 'kick off' with me as she knows nothing about my grow. I constructed the grow box at times she wasn't in the house, I get home from work before she does, so I'd be watering, feeding and maintaining my plants while she's not in the house - she's not touched a single thing going into my grow room - basically there's nothing to suggest she knows about my grow and there's no evidence to point to the fact that she may know - she's scared of lofts so would never ever go up there.

It's definitely not legal in my country, however, local police forces have publicly said they do not have the resources to actively seek out or persue people growing a small number of plants at home, so will be 'turning a blind eye', so to speak. Whether or not this is a kind of trick tactic to make growers more lackadaisical in keeping their grooms stealthy so they can catch more people, I do not know.

I have friends who do grows regularly, on a fairly larger scale than I'm intending and have never been caught. I also know of people who have been caught and ended up getting a fine and a slap on the wrist, others have been arrested and released without any further action being taken. It seems that the people who tend to get caught are the ones that can't keep their mouths shut or cut corners.

I was speaking to the bloke who works in my local hydroponic shop a couple of days ago and he said when people come into his shop for advice or to buy equipment he can tell straight away which ones are likely to get caught and which ones aren't just by their attitude. The ones that come in and politely & quietly ask for advice growing 'cabbages or tomatoes' tend to be more sensible and don't end up having any issues growing their percy smoke. The people who go into the shop waving their arms about shouting 'I'm gonna do a fucking grow mate, what gear do I need? I'll buy it all now, including the seeds!!' tend to be the same knobs down the pub showing people pictures on their phone of their plants, and ultimately end up the ones getting caught or robbed.

My biggest concern getting caught is the involvement of social services. You always hear of horror stories where SS take kids from clearly competent families for trivial reasons. I understand they're only there to protect the wellfare of children, but my intended grow will have no impact whatsoever on the wellfare of my child - hopefull if SS ever did get involved, the social worker would understand this too.

I'm quite a placid individual, I don't tend to draw much unneeded attention to myself. Not even my closest friends know anything about my intended grow. I think if I can get odour control and light seepage sorted I shouldn't have any issues. I think the chances of me getting caught are extremely slim (** touches wood **)

**On a side note

I know this isn't the right section for discussing this but;

In terms of using a carbon filter to eliminate odour, is there a way of testing the complete groom setup prior to growing plants. Is there a way of testing odour control? Obviously once my groom is completed I'll run it over night with no plants inside to test if there's any noise or light seepage. I also want to test if there's going to be any odour issues, prior to starting the grow. I was thinking of lighing a joint or an incence stick of some sort inside my groom, closing it up then sitting in the loft to see if I notice any smell at all? At lease this way I can rectify any odour issues before I get to the real smelly stage.
    I think your pretty safe here on line at THCTALK. I know a lot of the guys/gals around here have been on the forum for a while and To my knowledge Noone had ever been busted from using the site. Don't quOTE me on that though. Most people get caught because of smell, loose lips and jelous people who hate.

Police are looking for the real criminals who cash crop, steal electric and hydro resources & destroy rental properties doing large scale cropping.

I tend to avoid hydro shops and never talk shop about anything while visiting them especially cannabis related. If you need to talk shop hit the crew here at THCTalk up and they'll set you rite. Then just make a trip to the hydro store and get what you need and make sure you don't need to make too many visits to the hydro shop. Make it one tripper that will last at least a grow supply wise. Never go with your personal vehicle either. Maybe I'm just a bitch and worry too much. But better safe Than sorry.

As for SS if your ever caught. My personal experience is to be honest once your caught, and comply with their request. Retaining a lawyer is a good idea. And it's your right before talking to them. At least here in Canada. Make sure you grown and gear is well away from kids.

As for testing your grow a carbon filter adiquitly sutied to the size of your room and the CFM of your fans and you should be golden. Remember if the door is left open smells will leach out of the tent/room. And if your fan isn't continually running your exhaust through the filter smells will leach out... come chop time (this is where i struggle) is the worst time, if possible dry in your tent with your CF scrubbing the air. I'll be running a separate cF filter In a travel trailer in our yard this winter to dry buds as my room will be continually flowing.

I also run smelly filters on our furnace, helps keep the house Smelling Purdy for the wife and kids. My CF vents right into the mechanical room of the house and there is no smell at all. I can smoke a joint in my grow and there is no smell in the house.

Skunkbudda403

SkunkWorx - My currant Multi-Strain Perpetual 'Garden of Eden' Grow Adventures
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...5281-SkunkWorx

SkunkWorx 'Cacti Adventures'
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=165421

Interesting PDF Books: (Everything from A-Z will now mostly post Cannabis & Horticulture Information/Books)
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=129856

Skunkbudda's Random Horticulture (Non Cannabis Garden):
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=131105

Skunkbudda goes Strain Hunting:
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=134649

Skunkbudda403's Show:
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=127664

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SkunkBudda403 For This Useful Post:

BobHop (12-11-15), Clarice_Starling (23-11-15), GEORGE (14-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SkunkBudda403 View Post
    I think your pretty safe here on line at THCTALK. I know a lot of the guys/gals around here have been on the forum for a while and To my knowledge Noone had ever been busted from using the site. Don't quOTE me on that though. Most people get caught because of smell, loose lips and jelous people who hate.

Police are looking for the real criminals who cash crop, steal electric and hydro resources & destroy rental properties doing large scale cropping.

I tend to avoid hydro shops and never talk shop about anything while visiting them especially cannabis related. If you need to talk shop hit the crew here at THCTalk up and they'll set you rite. Then just make a trip to the hydro store and get what you need and make sure you don't need to make too many visits to the hydro shop. Make it one tripper that will last at least a grow supply wise. Never go with your personal vehicle either. Maybe I'm just a bitch and worry too much. But better safe Than sorry.

As for SS if your ever caught. My personal experience is to be honest once your caught, and comply with their request. Retaining a lawyer is a good idea. And it's your right before talking to them. At least here in Canada. Make sure you grown and gear is well away from kids.

As for testing your grow a carbon filter adiquitly sutied to the size of your room and the CFM of your fans and you should be golden. Remember if the door is left open smells will leach out of the tent/room. And if your fan isn't continually running your exhaust through the filter smells will leach out... come chop time (this is where i struggle) is the worst time, if possible dry in your tent with your CF scrubbing the air. I'll be running a separate cF filter In a travel trailer in our yard this winter to dry buds as my room will be continually flowing.

I also run smelly filters on our furnace, helps keep the house Smelling Purdy for the wife and kids. My CF vents right into the mechanical room of the house and there is no smell at all. I can smoke a joint in my grow and there is no smell in the house.

Skunkbudda403
    I have noticed that most people on THCTALK seem to be decent. I'm not really worried out the active members of the site, my logic is that if I were ever caught and they somehow dug up my internet history and found all my posts on here, I don't want to say anything that's going to incriminate anyone other than myself - if ya catch my drift.

My local hydro shop has been there for about 11 years or so, used to be a general head shop, then went just hydroponics a few years ago. I used to be in there all the time and it's the same dad and son that own it so I don't think there's any issues talking to them, it's all talk about cabbages or tomatoes anyway, no talk of cannabis. I get what you're saying about not going in my own car or going too regularly. Doubt I'll be going there once my grow is under way.

If I were to ever get caught I'd be completely open and honest with them. No point lying over a couple of plants once you've already been caught.

I only have a small grow box (approx. 0.7m x 0.7m x 1.3m), so I don't think I need a supa dupa extractor fan. What CFM rating would I need? And do you think I need any air intake, or would a passive intake suffice and give me negative pressure so no smell escapes.

My grow box is a complete sealed unit. I constructed it out of timber, all joints and apertures have been sealed with an appropriate sealant internally and externally I've put industrial duct tape over all joints. The door of the box has draught excluders fixed around the edges so there's minimal gaps when it's closed.

I plan on having my extraction running 24/7. My box is in my loft so I do not have any other room to vent into, however my box is literally right next to my chimney stack, so I could make a hole in the brickwork and vent my extraction out into that - would there be any problems with that?

With a carbon filter, do I set it up so the air from my grow box is being blown out through the filter, or do I set it up so the air in my grow box is being sucked into the filter and blown out the other end of the fan?

Sorry for all the questions; but you seem pretty clued up.

Cheers mate

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BobHop For This Useful Post:

Clarice_Starling (23-11-15), GEORGE (14-05-20)

Thanks

If caught local/state authorities WILL be involved that could result in fine's but most of all you child taken a way from you and put in a safe place other than you (generally relatives) I know it sucks - just all ways be aware of friends of you child does not know about your "hobby"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawk For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for chipping in SB - much appreciated! Sounds like you all went through the mill for a while. Glad it's all worked out well for you all, it's good to hear.

I'm purely looking to do a grow for percy smoke - not going to sell even a a little bud! What with rent prices and all that being pretty much robbery where I live, it's getting more difficult to justify spending money which we could do wity, on weed. If I can grow my own it would be an expense I don't need to find - could that technically be seen as financial gain, even though I wont be gaining any money from the sale of any weed.

Nothing wrong with being a proud stoner mate - I'm one too, have been for years. I'm not ashamed of the fact that I smoke weed, and if anyone asks I'll tell them the truth. I very very rarely drink and I haven't taken any other drugs for years. A lot of people come home from work and crack open a beer or pour a glass of wine, I don't - my release after a days work is waiting until my daughter is in bed asleep then sitting in the back garden with a spliff contemplating stuff - I see nothing wrong with that whatsoever.
    Spot on. Exactly like me mate. Can take it or leave it as far as drinks involved. But after 7pm when the kids are in bed and I know I've got nothing important to do, I don't see any problem with blazing 1 in the garden (or shed if it's raining) and just thinking about stuff. Not harming anyone and by the time my kids wake up in the morning I'm sober as a judge and at work already, earning a decent wage to support my family. I'm no "criminal"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzy0121 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-05-20)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Cheers mate. When people say a slap on the wrist, this still results on a criminal record right? If so, generally how long does that stay on ones record for before it's spent.
    It's never spent... not in the true sense. There will always be a record of it, and can cause all sorts of problems if you want to go abroad, or go for certain jobs.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

Clarice_Starling (23-11-15), M_C (12-11-15)

Thanks

The real chances of getting caught growing indoors at least here in the UK are slim.

PROVIDING you keep your gob shut and don't sell or share and take measures to ensure that odour is eliminated. In a loft light leaks are not going to give you away. In the UK the Police helicopters have thermal cameras and they CAN use them to look for grows unlike in the USA.

Heat reflecting materials are a must. Most grow tents are Mylar lined to both conserve heat and avoid detection. But the heat plume from an exhaust fan is visible on thermal cameras. So if you must use high temperature lamps try to exhaust the warm air somewhere near the exhaust of the central heating boiler or chimney if you have real fires so it is less obvious. My grow tent is also in the loft and there is plenty of air movement up there to dilute the warm air from the tent.

But I only use CFL lights and they are not hot lights anyway.

An activated carbon filter is essential, you can also use an ozone air cleaner too. For the sake of your your mental health tell your wife what you are doing 'cos if she finds out she will probably cut your balls off. If you cant trust her with knowledge of the grow then I would suggest you don't do it.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jane Green For This Useful Post:

BobHop (13-11-15), Clarice_Starling (23-11-15), GEORGE (14-05-20), SkunkBudda403 (12-11-15)

Thanks

Either way works, my filter is set up so that the air in the tent is drawn through the filter and then exhausted out of the tent into the loft space.

So yes the filter is in the tent and the vent is out side the tent. but my tent is bigger than your grow space at 1.2x.1.2x2m.
    Last edited by Jane Green; 12-11-15 at 09:43 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jane Green For This Useful Post:

BobHop (13-11-15), Clarice_Starling (23-11-15), GEORGE (14-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

I see your goal, it's pretty much how I started

Do you have a budget for this project?
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I only have a small grow box (approx. 0.7m x 0.7m x 1.3m), so I don't think I need a supa dupa extractor fan. What CFM rating would I need? And do you think I need any air intake, or would a passive intake suffice and give me negative pressure so no smell escapes.

I plan on having my extraction running 24/7. My box is in my loft so I do not have any other room to vent into, however my box is literally right next to my chimney stack, so I could make a hole in the brickwork and vent my extraction out into that - would there be any problems with that?
    I got a 4" In Line Fan 110m3/h air flow with Carbon Filter and ducting for £39 on eBay and it works great. Knocking a hole in the chimney stack would work but they are thicker than you might think, and it might piss off the landlord. I just exhaust into the loft space the filtered air is clean and odour free so it isn't an issue.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jane Green For This Useful Post:

BobHop (13-11-15), Clarice_Starling (23-11-15), GEORGE (14-05-20), M_C (12-11-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Green View Post
    I got a 4" In Line Fan 110m3/h air flow with Carbon Filter and ducting for £39 on eBay and it works great.
    These things are great for a first grow, but don't rely on it for overly long. Consider upgrading when possible...

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Clarice_Starling (23-11-15), GEORGE (14-05-20), Jane Green (13-11-15), SkunkBudda403 (12-11-15)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast