Thread: Friend with Stage 4 cancer wants me to make him brownies...

Thanks

Default Friend with Stage 4 cancer wants me to make him brownies...

Hi, I have a friend that two and a half weeks ago was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer of an unknown origin. We know it is in the bones of his back, clavicle and sacrum..the Dr. suspects GI track...anyway, he is on heavy duty pain meds and a host of other stuff. He completed 5 radiation sessions, is about to undergo chemo treatments and wants me to make him brownies for nausea. I want to help him out but am nervous about all the chit he is already on and how THC might effect him in conjunction. Perhaps I should give him some chocolate that is THC standardized in very low amounts to first test the waters? Not sure what the risks might be..any knowledgeable advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emeraldforest For This Useful Post:

hairylemon57 (29-11-15), Inky (11-12-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,876 Times

Since medical cannabis is legal in New Mexico, asking the GP or a health official should be the first port of call....
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

SkunkBudda403 (29-11-15)

Thanks

Good idea, thanks....I am not in NM currently but will do this where my friend is receiving treatment though I am not sure how much experience his GP will have regarding the matter. It is worth a try for sure. thanks again

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emeraldforest For This Useful Post:

Inky (11-12-15), M_C (11-08-16)

Chew Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldforest View Post
    Hi, I have a friend that two and a half weeks ago was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer of an unknown origin. We know it is in the bones of his back, clavicle and sacrum..the Dr. suspects GI track...anyway, he is on heavy duty pain meds and a host of other stuff. He completed 5 radiation sessions, is about to undergo chemo treatments and wants me to make him brownies for nausea. I want to help him out but am nervous about all the chit he is already on and how THC might effect him in conjunction. Perhaps I should give him some chocolate that is THC standardized in very low amounts to first test the waters? Not sure what the risks might be..any knowledgeable advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    THC/CBD will help a huge amount to ease your friends suffering. My best mate has cancer too and is also having chemo (i wish he wasn't though) I make him RSO and it has helps him so much. It pisses all over any prescription drug for pain, nausea, loss of appetite and so on... Ive just made him some chocolate bars too that are loaded with canna

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chew For This Useful Post:

Inky (11-12-15), M_C (30-11-15)

Thanks

Thanks Chewey, going to start off with a relatively mild batch of brownies and ramp up progressively from there until I dial in the right ratio.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emeraldforest For This Useful Post:

Inky (11-12-15)

Chew Guest

Good luck with it mate. I hope your friend recovers....

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chew For This Useful Post:

Emeraldforest (01-12-15), Inky (11-12-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,184 Times

Is your friend in the US?

Thanks

Best wishes to your friend and hope he makes a speedy recovery, sounds like he has good bestie looking after him x

As a kid I was forced to eat my greens now I voluntarily smoke them.

Thanks

My late uncle, rest in pepperonis, never smoked in his life until I was visiting him at hospital and we were talking about pain interrupting sleep and I mentioned if I have a J before bed I sleep like a baby. He hadn't slept properly in ages was super tired, he'd gone to hospital because he was in too much pain and discomfort to do anything but they couldn't find anything extra wrong with him (already terminal cancer)

Anyway he bummed a 1/4 oz off me and that lasted him some months, but during those months he was walking about, sleeping well, eating well, and spending time out in the garden (he loves gardening, spent his life as a gardener, taught me most of what I know about landscaping, true gent). Yeah so when I think about him before suffering, not getting out of bed, throwing up everything he tried to eat, getting dizzy, not being involved with his daughter's wedding, not spending time with his family and then skip to him with a tiny bit of bud and he's never in the house because he's in the garden, or out to dinner with my aunt, or in some wedding shop with my cousin. He passed peacefully in his sleep. I can just imagine him sitting in his garden surrounded by his flowers lighting up a J and pottering off to bed with a smile.

Weed will most likely do your friend a world of good in managing some of the shittier symptoms and complications of treatment. If your friend is being treated where it's legal advise him to have a meeting with a doctor and talk about how it might be able to help him manage, if the doctor approves then your friend will get the good medical shit that wont really get him high, but will help with the symptoms. If not pull up a brownie recipie that uses butter - make some cannabutter and replace half the butter with that and half normal butter and just give him a couple of brownies, tell him to eat one and save the other one - not to eat it within like 8 hours of the first.

When it comes to complications of using weed, there are a few things - if there is a history of mental illness then it should be approached with extra care, as it can exasperate previous conditions.
    Contraindications with medication - I can not let you know if there would be any unless I knew what meds they were taking, but as a rule medications that are used to treat depression/anxiety may be effected by the use of cannabis in the same way that eating grapefruit would effect them, that is they may not work aswell (I'm currently on some heavy anti-psychotics, and other medications to treat EUPD and OCD, but I have found that I'm better while smoking on these anyway)

As a general rule if there are any medications that are treating your friend neurologically then weed may not be a good idea, but I highly doubt this judging from how you've presented your friend's condition. If the meds are all related to cancer treatment and management of those symptoms as well as managing the symptoms of the medication (e.g, anti sickness meds can be given with chemo meds) then there should be no contraindications and using weed to supplement & support those medications IMO would be a good idea.

I'm not a GP, I'm a therapist (or at least when i'm well enough to work, oh irony) so I can only really give solid advice when it comes to mental health issues, so it would be a fantastic move forward to have your friend see a doc about medical because it's likely to then be high quality low THC stuff. If your friend still wants to get high as a kite whip up them brownies.

All the best for your friend, I hope they pull through. They've got a good buddy in you.
    Last edited by OrchidLady; 28-04-17 at 11:19 AM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OrchidLady For This Useful Post:

G' (06-02-18), Html33 (12-05-17), Orderly (18-05-18)

Thanks

Sorry to hear about your friend.. that's awful.

Chemdawg is a particular good strain for nausea and is a bit uplifting as well.

All the best x