Thread: Funas Gnats near my 3 day old seedlings! HELP

Thanks

Default Funas Gnats near my 3 day old seedlings! HELP

Hey everybody! To my horror today I checked my little babies and I saw a single flying thing, which I later googled and found out was a Funas gnat.

I later found out that it's the larve that will screw me over! What can I do people what's safe for my little seedlings and how can I fix and protect them? Thank you in advance!

-Northern lights-

The Aspie Toker Guest

You need to break the life cycle.

For the flies, you can either...
    grab them with your hands.
    Squirt them with Raid.
    Lay yellow sticky paper about the place.

For the larvae and eggs...
    Let the medium dry out about an inch or so.
    Add a healthy layer of clay pebbles. (Some people prefer to use sharp sand, but that moves about when watering)
    You can use wedges of potato. Place them into the medium. It works, but the potatoes need changing often.
    Or, lay wire wool on the surface of the medium. I've not tried this method, but is supposed to shred their wings as they emerge, or when the flies try to re-enter the medium to lay more eggs.

HTH
    TAT

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

Dutchcourage (02-08-16), Ghudghud (27-01-16), Sketchy (16-03-16)

Thanks

Hey dude fungus gnats aren't really a big deal if you get them under control early.
    I've seen a fungus gnat or two show up around seedling before. Its because gnats like really wet soil and the seedling don't suck up all the water quick enough.
    Some yellow sticky traps work just fine, and like said above just let them dry out before watering.
    Another option might be water less until the plants are big enough to use the water efficiently.
    Last edited by TheDuder; 27-01-16 at 07:31 AM.

The Duder's Super Skunk Fem HID Grow Diary - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1070408972

The Duder's Mandarin Kush LED PC Grow Diary - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1070408986

"A bowl a day keeps the doctor away"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDuder For This Useful Post:

Dutchcourage (02-08-16), Ghudghud (27-01-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,415 Times

I have had this problem and I used sharp sand - within a week they were annialated, the sand shreds there wings and they die, aas has been said sticky yellow fly catchers do a great job as well, if your seedling is still small and needs a humidity dome you can use a cut down lucozade bottle and place that over your seedling - you can open the lid if need be to let some air in, hope this help fella, happy growing,
    REGARDS MJCTHC1

P.P.P.P.P.P. - Perfect Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"Keep it green and full of light"

http:/Completed 2nd diary 32 oz from 9 plants

Check out my first attempt at a diary

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-diary-attempt

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MJCTHC1 For This Useful Post:

Dutchcourage (02-08-16), Ghudghud (27-01-16)

Thanks

Thank you everybody! i'm doing to haul my ass down to the garden center today to see if i can pick up clay pebbles and yellow tabs and such, i've stopped panicking so much now Thank you for your advise everybody

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghudghud For This Useful Post:

TheDuder (02-02-16)

Thanks

Try tanlin, I've tried all sorts from gnatnix to sand on top but they just use the bottom of the pot to get to the soil.. Tanlin!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonze For This Useful Post:

Mr.North (17-03-16)

Thanks

I saw some of these around my pots but didn't take much notice, do they affect an outdoor grow badly ? And where can I get sharp sand if they do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 39,741 Times

Quote Originally Posted by stanley.mckaydavies View Post
    I saw some of these around my pots but didn't take much notice, do they affect an outdoor grow badly ? And where can I get sharp sand if they do

Builders yard or bnq might have some

Autos
    Redemption Grow Take 2

Photo's
    Green lizard lick growing
    Exodus cheese exo-bition

THERE IS A STRICT 10 PLANT MAXIMUM RULE ON THIS SITE!.YOU WILL BE BANNED FOR BREACHING THIS!

Thanks

Fungus gnats are not to be underestimated these were my nemesis until I got hyposis miles predatory mite. Trust me get some add yellow sticky strips and try not let the medium get to wet, add a top layer of glass stone. The damage caused by larvae is not to be underestimated as it will show up on plant as If it has deficiencies and can cause misdiagnosis the multiply like crazy if left to breed