Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Hobbits Unusual Edibles

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Hey Hbbit ,tound the diary bud , heres my pics you wanted

heres my garden

Sent from the Land of Fuck OFF !!

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

Clarice_Starling (16-07-17), GanjasaurusREX (15-07-17), ggotch (14-07-17), M_C (14-07-17), Sadface (20-03-18)

Hobbit Guest

Cheers Trex feel free to comment, advise , post pics here mate. I originally started it as a place to post things a bit outta the traditional but dint get much input so anything hort related is cool especially my favourites, edibles.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

Trex (13-07-17)

Thanks

Ill post up my Herbs tomorrow ,got some nice pungeant stuff out there , Oregano , Rosemary , Basil , Thyme . Basil is just about to Flower and has got the most beautiful deep purple i have ever seen ,very lovely , the rosemary aint doing so well ,its origins are from dry and arid regions , and its soaked here big time this year and almost no sun 😕

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

Hobbit Guest

No drama with rosemary here mate everything does ok here. The only things I cant grow are things that like a good frost or cold spell. Ive got one little raised bed 1.2m x 1.2m counted up 12 varieties of herb in there the other day and a couple of tomato plants. Thyme , garlic chives,lemon grass,lemon balm,chives, basil, Vietnamese mint, coriander, oregano, mint, dill and parsley. Got other varieties of herbs in other beds as well. Will post some pics of my native strawberry in the next few days, just waiting for enough fruit to ripen at once for a good pic. Ive got of edible 10 varieties of edible shrubs and trees as well as alot of veg. If I actually owned this house id have more. Im always limiting myself in case I need to move in future. Not bad for a small suburban yard tbh.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

Trex (14-07-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,884 Times

You now have Mrs M_C curious (which is normally a bad thing for me!) How long does it take a coffee plant to hit maturity & give a harvest?
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Sadface (20-03-18)

Hobbit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    You now have Mrs M_C curious (which is normally a bad thing for me!) How long does it take a coffee plant to hit maturity & give a harvest?
    3-4 years M_C, tend to get a few fruits in the 3rd year an ok crop 4th year and full maturity at 5 years. Rekon you would have a drama growing it in the UK as its a subtropical/tropical fruit. Its a rain forest plant in the wild. Actually the best tasting coffee is still grown as an under story plant they only need about 30% sunlight. For commercial practices this becomes very impractical. I need to refine the harvest to cup process as its way too time consuming the ways i did it.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

M_C (14-07-17), Sadface (20-03-18), Trex (14-07-17)

Thanks

In other words MC ,we be fucked lol , i tried an orange tree here , didnt last . our cold destroyed that bugger ,didnt even make it to 18" before winter set in and destroyed it lol

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

M_C (14-07-17)

Hobbit Guest

My coffee plants are quite short as I have them in pots so my harvests will be smaller. They self sow like crazy and I have another 2 seedlings at the moment be ready in four years lol. Haha citrus do well here. We have warmer weather varieties but personally I think citrus especially mandarins and oranges taste better grown further south in colder climates. The reaction between the cold and the carbohydrates makes them sweeter. When ive lived in colder places I always wait for a frost or good chill before harvest.
    Last edited by Hobbit; 14-07-17 at 02:44 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

M_C (14-07-17), Trex (14-07-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,884 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    3-4 years M_C, tend to get a few fruits in the 3rd year an ok crop 4th year and full maturity at 5 years. Rekon you would have a drama growing it in the UK as its a subtropical/tropical fruit. Its a rain forest plant in the wild. Actually the best tasting coffee is still grown as an under story plant they only need about 30% sunlight. For commercial practices this becomes very impractical. I need to refine the harvest to cup process as its way too time consuming the ways i did it.
    Looks like she can carry on buying her coffee beans then

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    In other words MC ,we be fucked lol , i tried an orange tree here , didnt last . our cold destroyed that bugger ,didnt even make it to 18" before winter set in and destroyed it lol
    My mate has a lime tree that he overwinters indoors, it seems happy enough

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Trex (14-07-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    Looks like she can carry on buying her coffee beans then

My mate has a lime tree that he overwinters indoors, it seems happy enough
    Thats an idea . Dont think the back couod handle haulijg a 30-40 gallon pot up and down thenstairs though hehehe

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

M_C (14-07-17)

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast