Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: A Guide To Re-vegging

Tiles Of The Simpsons Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,237 Times

Default A Guide To Re-vegging

A lot of books and websites say that Cannabis is an annual plant, which means it usually germinates, flowers, and dies in one year/season. This is not necessarily true!

It is quite possible when growing indoors to grow a plant from seed, through the vegetative cycle, flowering and harvest, and then force the plant back into the vegetative cycle to repeat the whole process!

How does this happen?

Cannabis' life is governed by the hours of light it receives, if a plant is kept under a light for around 16 or more hours per day it will stay in the vegetative cycle indefinitely, if the light hours are reduced to around 12 hours per day the plant will go into flowering mode.
    If, when the flowering has finished and the crop harvested the light's are put back to 16hrs per day, the plant will be forced back into the vegetative cycle.

What do you need to do?

It is surprisingly easy...
    When harvesting your plant, try to leave quite a few bud sites intact at the bottom of your main stem, (as in the picture below). The more bud sites you leave intact, the bigger and bushier the new growth will be!

Aswell as switching the light back to 18/6, 20/4, 24/0 or whatever, the plants are going to need a feed as the nutrient levels in your soil will be very low, especially if you have flushed recently ready for harvest.
    If it is possible, it is a good idea to re-pot your plant into an even bigger pot with good, fresh compost. If it is not possible to re-pot because of size restrictions etc then you'll need to give your plant/soil a feed to boost the N-P-K levels. I have found that one good feed is enough until new growth is established, and then occasional half strength feeds if needed.

New Growth

With the light's back to the veg cycle and the plant fed, the plant will start to grow new shoots. Usually it takes 2 or 3 weeks before any new shoots are noticed and the growth of the new shoots can look very strange, single leaves will grow aswell as other mutant looking leaves (as seen in the pic below). This is completely normal and after a couple of weeks growth the 'proper' leaves will start to appear.

How Long Do I Veg For?

As with all Cannabis plants, the longer you keep the plant in the re-veg cycle before switching to flowering, the bigger and better your plant will eventually become. Although, for best results it is better to wait until the re-vegged plant is producing a good amount of 'proper', full leaves again before switching to the flowering cycle.

A lot of growers who re-veg claim that the harvest the 2nd time around can double and sometimes triple the amount of the first crop!
    Some growers also claim that re-vegged plants are not as potent as they were the 1st time around... In my experience this is not true!

Clones

As with re-vegging whole plants, it is quite possible to re-veg a plant from a clone/cutting taken from a plant in flower. (as in the pic below).

The exact same principles apply to clones. - For details on how to take clones (cuttings), see one of the stickies.

I hope that this quick guide helps a few of you guys who have an interest in re-vegging, but have not tried it.

Grub.

2. The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to Grub For This Useful Post:

Ariadne (01-09-10), B.A.BARACUS (15-06-16), b.t.y (05-02-12), badbillybob (26-01-16), beansxda (12-11-18), Benjiman (03-05-20), Cats (25-04-21), cmronin (10-03-14), CockneyDevil (09-06-14), dougthehead (18-04-20), fivethumbsfrank (24-02-13), geori (24-05-16), grynchmane (26-02-16), ironjustice (30-11-13), jericho (18-10-14), KMK (13-10-14), kush king (16-03-18), Langers (18-04-20), mike4201 (25-03-14), Nappa (03-04-14), Pink_tiger (03-03-14), ragtag333 (30-12-17), Shreder (01-06-17), swansneck (22-05-14), TheGrimSqueeker (26-02-20), Toke `till you choke (26-02-13), Tonkaman (30-06-17), twalte (06-08-16), umbongo (06-01-12), Valentina (29-12-17)

Thanks

great post grub
    "If i cant smoke and swear im F**KED!"
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/image.php?u=5246&type=sigpic&dateline=1249748262
    THCTalk recommends Greens Horticulture for all your growing needs
    if iv been of some help to you please take a second and press the thanks button, cheers

Thanks

Yep agreed - very good post.

Thanks

wicked post grub, it was only the other night i was looking for info on this and now i have it thanks to you.
    cheers mate,nrg172.

Thanks
    Thanked 3 Times

Wondering what happens when you try this with auto's? Do they just die or do they go back to the start of their cycle? Any one up for trying it?

Tiles Of The Simpsons Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,237 Times

Quote Originally Posted by nrg172 View Post
    wicked post grub, it was only the other night i was looking for info on this and now i have it thanks to you.
    cheers mate,nrg172.
    Glad it helps ya mate!

Cheers for the nice comments guys, much appreciated!

Wondering what happens when you try this with auto's? Do they just die or do they go back to the start of their cycle? Any one up for trying it?
    You can't re-veg auto's mate, they flower under any light schedule, so changing back to 18/6 will have no effect. Auto's flower once and die, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Grub; 01-10-09 at 08:52 PM.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,596 Times

nice one grub mate

i'm going to be re-vegging a white diesel once it's finished, can wait to see those retarded shoots

Thanks

Does the stress of being hacked back not affect the plant for the 2nd veg?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,596 Times

i've yet to try it with mj but it obviously bounces back fine. i do it on my chillies every couple of months during the spring/summer.

blurry-vision Guest

Thumbs up

Very good post, nice one..I did not realise you can improve yield this way, that makes it very appealing to do.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast