Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: NorthernStar's 1st Coco grow Ft. OG Kush + Deep Cheese. Mentored by Samwise Gamgee!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,089 Times

Default NorthernStar's 1st Coco grow Ft. OG Kush + Deep Cheese. Mentored by Samwise Gamgee!

Sup Guys!

Setting up for my 3rd grow which i hope to have going towards the end of next week, currently doing my second grow in soil which will be getting chopped down on Saturday. Using my tent to dry the buds so as soon as they are in the jars the grow begins! Thanks to Samwise for offering to assist me with my first attempt at Coco, hopefully i fair better with Coco than i do with soil i have had a couple of issues with my 1st 2 grows but somehow managed to come away with some nice bud at the end still. Can't wait to get this Coco one started though I've seen the results for myself on here i know many of you guys swear by it, also first time using HPS lights i've only used LED in the past. Totally new to EC's and PPM's etc so i apologize to Samwise in advance for some silly questions bound to come his way during the new few months lol i shall do my best mate.

Onto the equipment, nutes and stuff i have just now and also plan to purchase, just let me know what else i need or what you would like changed Sam.

What i have -

80cmx80cmx160cm Tent.
    Digipro 600w Dimmable Ballast (250w,400w,600w) Only plan on using max 400w. Euro Reflector. 1x 600w Mh Bulb + 1x 600 Duel Spec HPS bulb
    6inch RVK extraction fan and Rhino Pro carbon filter. Passive intake.
    STR 1.5amp Variac controller to control extraction fan speed.
    2x Clip on fans (think i'm gonna replace these)
    Wilma System small (30 liters res, 11 liter pots). Capable of growing 4 plants but due to my tent size only growing 2 just now.
    EcoAir 12l Dehumidifier.

Seeds i'm using is a Dinafem OG Kush freebie + Dinafem Deep Cheese courtesy of Chew thanks again mate!
    Leftover nutes from last soil grow = 250ml of PM Bio Wetter for foliar spray, Plant Magic granules, unopened Epsom Salts and unopened bottle of Tanlin (pest control).
    Unopened PH Up + PH Down 250ml bottles, PH Buffer 4 + 7.

What i need -

Medium - Canna Coco Professional Plus + 1 liter starter pots.
    Nutes i have in mind - Canna Coco A&B, Canna Rhizo, Canna PK 13/14, Canna CalMag.
    Equipment - Bluelab PH Pen + Blue Lab EC Pen

Not going to order anything else until given the green light by you Sam so just let me know what to change out or add mate!
    Last edited by Northern; 07-11-16 at 11:00 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Northern For This Useful Post:

Cull (21-01-17), Dutchcourage (02-12-16), ERBURT (12-11-16), Samwise Gamgee (08-11-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 17,171 Times

Hey NS

Looking good fella, remember the only silly question is the one you don't ask

Equipment and nutes looking good, reckon the best bet will be to veg with the LED, due to its higher blue spectrum then get the HPS in to flower

The only thing I would add nute wise is Liquid Silicon, its a beneficial element rather than one that's needed, but it really aids in the health of the plants, and protects against stress, and generally helps grow more vigourous plants, you can also use it as Ph up as well.

I have grown the OG Kush from dinafem before but not the cheese, the one thing to be a bit wary of when growing with a system like the Wilma is that different strains often require different feed levels, so a multi strain grow sometimes can throw up issues, especially if you have a plant that is a heavy feeder and one that prefers mild feed. The OG kush is a stretchy strain as well so you will need to be on top of the training as I noticed you only have 1.6m headspace, the Wilma takes a bit of that as well, having the reservoir underneath the pots.

I would order a few 1/2 litre pots to start them off in mate, then look at moving into 1 litre pots after about 2 weeks.

Goodluck with the grow, fingers crossed you will enjoy the coco, its a lot more controlled than soil, which some people like and some don't

Should be a good fun thou mate
    Last edited by Samwise Gamgee; 08-11-16 at 09:11 AM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

Dutchcourage (02-12-16), ERBURT (12-11-16), JB (26-03-17), Northern (08-11-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Samwise Gamgee View Post
    Hey NS

Looking good fella, remember the only silly question is the one you don't ask

Equipment and nutes looking good, reckon the best bet will be to veg with the LED, due to its higher blue spectrum then get the HPS in to flower

The only thing I would add nute wise is Liquid Silicon, its a beneficial element rather than one that's needed, but it really aids in the health of the plants, and protects against stress, and generally helps grow more vigourous plants, you can also use it as Ph up as well.

I have grown the OG Kush from dinafem before but not the cheese, the one thing to be a bit wary of when growing with a system like the Wilma is that different strains often require different feed levels, so a multi strain grow sometimes can throw up issues, especially if you have a plant that is a heavy feeder and one that prefers mild feed. The OG kush is a stretchy strain as well so you will need to be on top of the training as I noticed you only have 1.6m headspace, the Wilma takes a bit of that as well, having the reservoir underneath the pots.

I would order a few 1/2 litre pots to start them off in mate, then look at moving into 1 litre pots after about 2 weeks.

Goodluck with the grow, fingers crossed you will enjoy the coco, its a lot more controlled than soil, which some people like and some don't

Should be a good fun thou mate
    Hey mate,

Good point on the strains luckily i have 2 Deep Cheese seeds so I will just do 2 of those now, hopefully I don't mess up germ I'm used to the paper towel method then putting them straight into the growing medium once there is a taproot established, got 100% success rate so far doing that is it ok to continue with this germ method in coco?

Yeah will order some half liters pots too mate and order some liquid silicon. I can use my LEDs for veg if you want but I'm concerned about heat tbh, I'm only getting like 22c right now during the day with them on so figure I'll only be getting around 20c at night which is when I'll mostly be running them during this grow. Wouldn't the MH bulb help with getting the heat up to more optimal temperature or would you prefer I used the LEDs for light spec and sort out temps another way?

Yeah I'm sure I'm gonna love growing in Coco been reading up alot more about it lately and really think it's the way forward for me can't wait to get started

Sent using Tapatalk

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northern For This Useful Post:

Dutchcourage (02-12-16), ERBURT (12-11-16), Samwise Gamgee (08-11-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

oi oi N-star, good luck with the grow amigo. got ya self great mentor aswel mon the coco

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

Dutchcourage (02-12-16), ERBURT (12-11-16), Northern (08-11-16), Samwise Gamgee (08-11-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joker_the_smoker View Post
    oi oi N-star, good luck with the grow amigo. got ya self great mentor aswel mon the coco
    Hey thanks mate, yep glad to have Sam in my corner!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northern For This Useful Post:

Dutchcourage (02-12-16), ERBURT (12-11-16), joker_the_smoker (08-11-16)

Thanks

Hey NS,

Sorry yeah I forgot about the temps tbh, the MH bulb will run warmer than LED, so would be worth using that

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernStar View Post
    Hey mate,

Good point on the strains luckily i have 2 Deep Cheese seeds so I will just do 2 of those now, hopefully I don't mess up germ I'm used to the paper towel method then putting them straight into the growing medium once there is a taproot established, got 100% success rate so far doing that is it ok to continue with this germ method in coco?

Yeah will order some half liters pots too mate and order some liquid silicon. I can use my LEDs for veg if you want but I'm concerned about heat tbh, I'm only getting like 22c right now during the day with them on so figure I'll only be getting around 20c at night which is when I'll mostly be running them during this grow. Wouldn't the MH bulb help with getting the heat up to more optimal temperature or would you prefer I used the LEDs for light spec and sort out temps another way?

Yeah I'm sure I'm gonna love growing in Coco been reading up alot more about it lately and really think it's the way forward for me can't wait to get started

Sent using Tapatalk

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

Dutchcourage (02-12-16), ERBURT (12-11-16), Northern (08-11-16)

Thanks

Hey NS,

Sorry yeah I forgot about the temps tbh, the MH bulb will run warmer than LED, so would be worth using that
    Nice one will go with the MH then. Just ordered everything so should be here by the end of the week, figure i'm gonna have to buy a 50w aquarium heater set to 19c and timed to run around 20mins before the Wilma is gonna feed them? also do you use another pump inside your wilma to mix the water and nutes up or do you not bother with that?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Northern For This Useful Post:

Dutchcourage (02-12-16), Samwise Gamgee (08-11-16)

Thanks

I have an air pump with 4 air stones in the Wilma, that I turn on about 15 minutes before i turn on the pump to the drippers, as this mixes and aerates the feed at the same time

You don't need to get everything right now thou, but air stones are worth an investment along the way

Its probably best to hand feed them for at least the first 4 weeks, I have connected my drippers today and I am two weeks into flower

Hope that helps fella

Nice one will go with the MH then. Just ordered everything so should be here by the end of the week, figure i'm gonna have to buy a 50w aquarium heater set to 19c and timed to run around 20mins before the Wilma is gonna feed them? also do you use another pump inside your wilma to mix the water and nutes up or do you not bother with that?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

Dutchcourage (02-12-16), ERBURT (12-11-16)

Thanks

I have an air pump with 4 air stones in the Wilma, that I turn on about 15 minutes before i turn on the pump to the drippers, as this mixes and aerates the feed at the same time

You don't need to get everything right now thou, but air stones are worth an investment along the way

Its probably best to hand feed them for at least the first 4 weeks, I have connected my drippers today and I am two weeks into flower

Hope that helps fella
    Yep i will definitely pick an extra pump and a couple of airstones up along the way then mate along with a water heater. I planned on hand feeding until they are needing fed every day then we will fire old Wilma up to do the rest of the job! also i remember you saying in another thread of mine that you use amino acids to stop cal/mag build up in the Wilma? i think i will need something like that myself because of my soft water, i suspect we will be using cal/mag quite a bit. I seen a product called Ata Clean from the same company that makes the Wilma that might be worth purchasing down the line to help with that.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Northern For This Useful Post:

Dutchcourage (02-12-16), Samwise Gamgee (09-11-16)

Thanks

Hey NS,

I live in a hard water area (generally 0.5 to 0.6 base EC) and found on my first few grows I would get cal/mag issues, but this was down to the calcium in my reservoir forming limescale, which the plants cant take up as the particles are to large. I added amino acids to chelate (grip) the calcium particles, stopping them from binding with other particles and making the calcium more readily available to the plant.

I cant imagine with soft water that you will encounter this issue, and there is lots of cal/mag in the nutes, as its generally the first thing a chemical engineer would add. A bottle of cal/mag and some epsom salts are very beneficial to have, just in case thou, and even now in veg I will give the plants a good foliar spray with cal/mag and Epsom salts once a week. This is more preventative than anything else thou, as since i have been using amino acids I haven't had any cal/mag issues

Never heard of the ATA clean product tbh, but a bottle of cal/mag and a tub of Epsom salts are cheap as chips, and like the liquid silicon will last you a fair few grows

Some products are worth buying and using, but there is a lot of snake oil out there that people sell

Just had a look at the ATA clean and the liquid silicon will do exactly the same, as well as the benefits above that I have mentioned the liquid silicon particles are large and pourous and help to keep drippers clean of any build up.

Yep i will definitely pick an extra pump and a couple of airstones up along the way then mate along with a water heater. I planned on hand feeding until they are needing fed every day then we will fire old Wilma up to do the rest of the job! also i remember you saying in another thread of mine that you use amino acids to stop cal/mag build up in the Wilma? i think i will need something like that myself because of my soft water, i suspect we will be using cal/mag quite a bit. I seen a product called Ata Clean from the same company that makes the Wilma that might be worth purchasing down the line to help with that.
    Last edited by Samwise Gamgee; 10-11-16 at 03:13 PM.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

Dutchcourage (02-12-16), ERBURT (12-11-16), Northern (10-11-16)

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast