Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Small guide to making an easy, solderless power adaptor for multi PC fans

Thanks

Thumbs up

nice informative tutorial there Munkeyboi
    "If i cant smoke and swear im F**KED!"
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/image.php?u=5246&type=sigpic&dateline=1249748262
    THCTalk recommends Greens Horticulture for all your growing needs
    if iv been of some help to you please take a second and press the thanks button, cheers

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dj # For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-03-20)

Thanks

yea top post munkeyboi

thanx

4. The Following User Says Thank You to b.t.y For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-03-20)

Thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Munkeyboi For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-03-20)

Thanks

love it especially the theme tune! unfortunately i left all my computer supplies at my other house and i think i may have binned all my spare molex connectors!!!!!! i knew theyde come in useful one day!
    All post of this forum are works of fiction/social experiments/posts done for comedy purpose and all photos are recycled from other sources. If any one has any inquires or issues with anything posted here please contact me at 10, SW1A 2AA.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HeyHo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-03-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Munkeyboi View Post

Alternatively, if you have a crimping set, you can crimp the power adaptor into a molex pin. Can be found at maplins too.

Or you can solder onto the pins direct. but that sucks in my honest opinion and i cant be arsed.

how ever you connect it, tidy and cover with electrical tape.

Great idea, can you give a bit more information to how you got between each of the photos above? Just unsure as to how they all connected.

Thanks!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chilled For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-03-20)

Thanks

Right,

bear in mind theres two molex connectors in the first picture.

The wires from adaptor go to one of the molex connectors. Not in the hole, but to the outside.

You'll know which, out of the 4 holes to use, as you'll see the two wires coming out that go to the fan connector.

You then plug in the 2nd molex connector. I used a flat screwdriver as a wedge here. To get the plastic of the connector over the apator wires. Didnt want to snag, strip or move them.

Once both connectors are connected properly, tape it up with elecy tape. If this doesnt help, then i'll take more pictures.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Munkeyboi For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-03-20), Wrams (07-03-10)

Thanks

well i vote you take more pics lol no am messing verry gud m8

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jhon konners For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-03-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Munkeyboi View Post
    Hey

As some of you may or may not know, im gonna monkey around and make my own fan controller box, with speed controller. Current methods at the moment involve lots of hacking wires, soldering, using a PC power supply and i think its all pretty messy. Heres my idea https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ad.php?t=14462

But since i need something in the meantime and im a stoner and not finished project yet, I've had to whip something up in the meantime and I'd thought i'd share.

So here goes.

You will need........ (most of stuff can be found at maplins)

• A pc fan with connectors intact (make a note of amps of all fans used)

• 2 x 4 pin molex to 3 pin fan convertor/connector (1 per fan, depending on the type you buy. In my example 1 per fan you used) If only using one fan, you'll still need another molex connector to finish the job (or you'll have to solder). This can be found easily from an old psu,

• A 12v power adaptor (please take note of the Amp output)

• Electrical Tape, Wire cutters/strippers

Things to note....

Add up the amps, usually .10 or .25 on fans. If they are greater than the Amp output on your adapter. You need less fans, or an adapter with a higher amp output.

Step 1:

Cut the top off the power adaptor. Leave some wire on the end of the bit you've cut off, You might want to use it later. I intend to in my fan controllers next incarnation.

Snip the wire in the middle and pull the ends apart (if you have a twinned cable, IE both in seperate lil plastic covered tubes)

Strip about 5-8mm of the plastic cover from end of wires and twist so no bits of wire are sticking out.

Step 2:

Get your molex connector and find the holes with the wires going into the 4 pin connector

Place your two wires OUTSIDE the holes. not in them as the connectors wont connect together. Ensuring no bits of copper are loose or touching each other.

Insert the 2nd molex connector into it to secure wires in place. Please be careful the wires dont move or you dont strip the cable cover. You maye wish to use a flat screwdriver as a wedge so it can pass over the cables.

Alternatively, if you have a crimping set, you can crimp the power adaptor into a molex pin. Can be found at maplins too.

Or you can solder onto the pins direct. but that sucks in my honest opinion and i cant be arsed.

how ever you connect it, tidy and cover with electrical tape.

Step 3:
    Plug in your fan/fans to the 3 pin fan connectors.

Then plug power adaptor into the mains. WARNING - Dont be a moron. Plug it into a power socket DIRECTY, with a switch on it. And have the power switch to off before you plug it in.

Switch on and hopefully ta da

Writting the damn thread n taking pics took longer than making this gizmo. lol

Hope this helps.
    Job's a good un' brother, very nice for those that don't know, my own setup has all the same ingredients as yours just done slightly different & use 2 adjustable voltage power supplys each running 2 pc fans = 2 per side, I've only just found this topic as not been on here for a while so maybe you've built the other piece of kit you mentioned by now & that sounds proper interesting...keep up the outstanding work, much respect

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Scarlet For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-03-20), Smokeypants (27-07-12)

Thanks

Nice thread. I've done something similar with my reflectors. I hole sawaed and bolted the fan to the top of reflector. Hot air is blown up towards extract pipe.
    The only problem was the ligths ran so cool that I lowered them down too far and light scorched the plants. This went on for three weeks until I realised what the problem was. I got 2 Oz off one plant. Others weren't much better. Nuts!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Fred888 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-03-20)

Thanks

If you're building a PC Case box, just stick with the regular power supply in the unit and bridge the green wire on the 20+ pin motherboard plug with any of the surrounding black wires on the same plug with a paperclip. It's low voltage and low current (It's just a signal wire) and you can straight plug any fan directly into the molex connectors coming out of the power supply. No cutting of anything needed. It helps to get a slimline power supply, though, to save on case space, the typical PC power supply is just too large unless you're using a server or workstation-size case for your stealth box.
    I'll take a pic in a minute, let me go find my old tester PSU and a fan or two.
    Party hardy, Rock & Roll!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to hotboxfox For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-03-20)

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast