Thread: Help my plant is suddenly dieing

Thanks

Default Help my plant is suddenly dieing

just 2 days ago i pulled my beautiful green plant, that had been sprouting new leaves like crazy, out of the fog chamber to take a quick glimpse of the roots through the net pot. they were beautiful bright white and fuzzy, except for a couple long ones which have been brown for a while. i plucked the brown ones out and put the plant back in the fogger very satisfied. the plant looked fine yesterday as well. today i went in and saw that the first 2 leaves were brown and dried out, and the newer leaves werent looking to good either. i pulled it out and saw that the fuzzy microscopic roots were gone and the roots were no longer bright white, but brown. i checked the fog and there was plenty of fog getting at the roots. i checkd the temperature of the water, it was 78. the water temperature has been around 73-78, the ppms have been around 400, the ph has been between 5-6.5, though today it was 6.8. what on earth happened? pics attached.
    Last edited by M_C; 04-12-16 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Links removed

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,127 Times

Can't see pics mate but thats got to be one of the riskiest ways to grow, sounds like you already had the start of root problems and removing the roots could have spread the spores around. 6.8 is a high ph and pythium thrive in alkaline mixtures so keep it low as possible , when checking roots you could be bringing in spores of fungi on hands, shoes, clothes etc best to stay out as much as possible. Treating it would be hard with fogger I am not sure how you would go about it. Might be easier to start again...

Sent from my phone to you

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,776 Times

Hi mate, no linking to other forums, read the rules!

If the links had worked without needing a log in then I would have issued an infraction for that....
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

Thanks

Update: the water in my reservoir was milky white and smelled like garbage. this has happened before. it only takes 3 weeks for the water to get like this. what can i do to fix this?

Viz Guest

Three weeks? How often are you meant to change the water/feed of that unit. I am not sure many people here grow using the Fogponics method.

Thanks

Well, I think the problem is that I cant keep the temps low enough with a fogger in the reservoir, people told me that, but I thought I could do it by dropping a giant 4 cup sized ice cube in the reservoir every day, I guess I was wrong. I have 2 options:
    Either I try again, increase the size of the ice cubes, adjust the ph to 5 every morning, and use Hydroguard. But even increasing the size of the ice cube I think I can only keep the reservoir below 75F, which may not be cool enough
    The 2nd option is to buy NFT chanels at $24/ 8 foot channel, man this is getting expensive.
    What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,022 Times

Dunno much about Mist units but 75-78 degrees F (24-26 degrees C for us brits) is way too high for your res temps, nasties will flourish and root rot is a v high possibility esp if it's prolonged... If mine go above 71F (22C) I start taking cooling actions
    Strider's Sup Lemon Haze & L.A. Confidential DWC Good...hopefully...2018

SLH & Incredible Bulk DWC Actually good, honest. 2017