Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mixing Epsom salts with nutrients?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Viz View Post
    The bit I put in bold.

You say that Epson Salts in a growing medium (cannabis plants medium) is to be avoided. Now I am interested in why you say that, and what you base that on. I understand that Epson Salts are salts, d'oh and when a person flushes you flush to remove salts. However Epson Salts does not fix to the coco and is in fact a cheleting agent and will help remove build up of salts if used, or at least that is my understanding of how it works in growing mediums. As Epson Salts are Ph neutral I do not see how adding to the medium is going to change the Ph in the medium.

Now if the medium has a Ph lock due to other factors, then adding Epson Salts will only provide some mag to the plant it will not resolve nor really help mattes beyond the short term where the deficiency is temporarily dealt with - the root cause of that deficiency is still present. Magnesium gets locked out when ph levels are 2.0 - 5.7 and Magnesium is absorbed best when the ph levels are 5.8 to 9.1.

So since Epson Salts is Ph neutral I am unsure as to how it will negatively impact a growing medium.

EC and Epson Salts - I guess this is the part I would like a bit more detail about. How Epson Salts causes EC lock out. I do understand that plants will not feed if the EC is higher than 2.2 according to the growing literature (all plants not just Weed). So if you add so much Epson Salts that you push the final EC over that mark you have lock out. But you really have to add heaps of Epson Salts to do that I have found while testing.
    Its the effect the salts have on the Ec thats the issue, stick a teaspoon of epsom in a litre of water and measure the Ec you will see what I mean. In fact I'm gonna do it now to demonstrate. If you add Epsom to the drench feed then you would need to know the precise amount to add to a given volume of water or feed solution which is fine but too complicated for the average grower this is why I always recommend to foliar feed, that way you dont have to worry about compromising the medium. The other benefit of foliar feeding is that it get absorbed directly by the stomata on the leaves that mode of action will be much quicker than if it was via the root system....

Plain tap water...

Water with Epsom added...

Regards BL

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

Bigdaddy 101 (22-08-19), desolator (05-09-17), ERBURT (18-02-17), foopa (07-06-19), joker_the_smoker (18-02-17), M_C (18-02-17)

Viz Guest

Cool thanks Bud.

I did the same experiment.

Step 1

Base EC 0.3

1 full tea spoon of Epson Salts 6ml.
    500ml Water

EC 5.6

Higher of course due to a full spoon. But not as high as I was expecting due to the full tea spoon, but I guess that is attributable to the lower starting EC I have with my water.

Step 2

25 Litres of water.

Base EC 0.3

Poured the glass of Epson Salt water with the EC of 5.6 in bucket.

EC 0.5

Just to see what would be the outcome I then added another 25ml to the same bucket after dissolving the Epson Salts in warm water. A table spoon is just shy of 18ml, so in total I introduced 31ml of Epson Salts to 25 litres of water.

Final EC 1.1

So we both agree that adding Epson Salts will increase the EC in our feed.

But that is not what I was asking you expand on. How does the introduction of Epson Salts mess up the medium and why should we not introduce Epson Salts into the medium?

Or is it as I am now suspecting that we use the term medium and mean two different things. Growing medium for me is the coco or the soil. In your original explanation does medium refer to the feed mix? If so then we are in total agreement and I misunderstood what you where saying.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

joker_the_smoker (18-02-17), M_C (18-02-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 39,741 Times

Quote Originally Posted by nickyt View Post
    I'm just thinking when would it be best to foiler because I don't want to do it when the light are on' incase they get burnt' but if I do it just before lights out I'm worried about humidity going up lol. I suppose take them out the tent spray them raise the lights as high as I can and put them back? Cheers.
    Raise your lights right up as far as they go and spray lights on
    The stomata/pores in the leaves open in light so they can suck
    The goodness in.

Autos
    Redemption Grow Take 2

Photo's
    Green lizard lick growing
    Exodus cheese exo-bition

THERE IS A STRICT 10 PLANT MAXIMUM RULE ON THIS SITE!.YOU WILL BE BANNED FOR BREACHING THIS!

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ERBURT For This Useful Post:

British green (18-02-17), joker_the_smoker (18-02-17), M_C (18-02-17), nickyt (19-02-17), redisiel (18-02-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 39,741 Times

Remember salt builds up in soil/coco mediums
    And as bud says it'll cause lock outs to other minerals
    Ec wise and ph wise.
    You already feed feed that has salts in so your doubling
    The salt amount probably more by feeding it.
    You want it as clean as poss in there for the microherd

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ERBURT For This Useful Post:

British green (18-02-17), M_C (18-02-17), redisiel (18-02-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

I imagine it's not unlike collecting salt crystals to a wick in water . Hang a wick in a bucket of salt water and over a couple of days you will see salt crystals attaching themselves to the wick .

sent from mission control

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

ERBURT (18-02-17), joker_the_smoker (18-02-17), M_C (18-02-17), redisiel (18-02-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

Best place for Epsom salts is in your bath in my opinion
    Atb
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

British green (19-02-17), M_C (19-02-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Quote Originally Posted by redsiel View Post
    Best place for Epsom salts is in your bath in my opinion
    Atb
    Redz
    And very soothing to tired muscles it is

sent from mission control

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

joker_the_smoker (19-02-17), M_C (19-02-17), redisiel (19-02-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

It really helps me sleep after a good hot soak bro too.
    Redz

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

British green (19-02-17), joker_the_smoker (19-02-17), M_C (19-02-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    Use Epson as a foliar spray mate, add about a teaspoon to about 1/2L of water & mi well in. Throw it in a sprayer & spray the leafs & under them too
    Even when flowering? Thanks,

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Quote Originally Posted by solista View Post
    Even when flowering? Thanks,
    That's when you have to consider where you are in the flowering cycle & act accordingly... Usually Mg problems show (or at least they do to me!) at the onset of flowering where it isn't a problem, towards the end of flowering then foliar feeding is not such a good idea
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast