Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PH Meters

Thanks

Default PH Meters

Hey y'all.
    So, up until now I've been using an aquarium ph testing kit to test and adjust my water ph. I have to pretty much guess what my ph is from the colour chart that came with it. I need to change this and go digital. So my question is... what is the difference between a ph meter that cost £10 and a meter that costs £100?. Will the £10 meter be accurate enough? I believe I can calibrate either meter with pre ph'd substances at ph 4 and 7 so why would I need to spend 10× the price?. If any of you use a £10 meter let me know if they're any good please. If you bought an expensive one please tell me what the benefits are. Thanks ☺

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

If your looking for accuracy then I'd avoid the cheap £10 meters. They will get the job done but they don't last long and require calibration too often. I use an essentials ph meter I've had for 2 years now with no problems at all and cost around £40, just a battery change when needed and calibration once a month.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

M_C (08-03-17), Oxy (08-03-17), toblue (08-03-17)

Thanks

Yeah I've seen the essentials range, but having never used one I didn't know the difference. I just looked at a popular auction website and saw that 3k £10 meters had been sold, 300 essentials at around £40 (as you say) and 130 ish £100+ meters. I normally go with the crowd, follow like a sheep lol, but this is too important to get wrong. I've already suffered ph difference issues on my current grow, need to sort it now so figured I'd ask on here. Ty for the reply blue.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chrisshaw2013 For This Useful Post:

Oxy (08-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 26,716 Times

I have used a range of different meters dude. I had one cheap shit meter that worked great. Dropped it out my loft & smashed it. Tried with 3 more cheap ones, all were shite. Got a 40 quid one & it has served me for 18 months of so, worked very well, but just recently it has been a little off. I bought a Bluelab for 60.99 reads 0.1 different from the 40 quid one. Seems to read the pH very quickly & stays stable. General res is buy cheap buy twice. Go for the Bluelab if you can, if not the 40 quid range will serve you well.

"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loki For This Useful Post:

M_C (08-03-17), Oxy (08-03-17)

Thanks

Thanks Loki. Truth be told, funds are tight and was hoping to get good reviews on the cheapo shite lol. But as I said, I don't want to get it wrong again so I'm willing to make an investment at whatever the cost, If it last and is accurate it's what I need. I suppose I'm after value for money rather than the cheapest.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chrisshaw2013 For This Useful Post:

Loki (08-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times

The cheap pens? Calibrate frequently & they will get you through a grow - which will give you time to save for something better
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

11. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Loki (08-03-17)

Thanks

Thanks M_C. Why didn't you post first lol. That's what I wanted to hear but hoping to hear a general opinion so I'm gonna wait a couple of days and see what the concensus is. It's funny that 3 people have commented with 3 varying views. And not idiots posting crap they know nothing about, I've checked all you guys posts and you know some shit lol.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to chrisshaw2013 For This Useful Post:

Loki (08-03-17)

Thanks

im in the same boat mate and have been looking on ebay at the cheap pens ...but calibrate it myself ....that im lost on lol

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    im in the same boat mate and have been looking on ebay at the cheap pens ...but calibrate it myself ....that im lost on lol
    You can buy calibrating fluid, both PH 4 & PH 7 - I don't really recommend the powder sachets that you make up yourself...

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,700 Times

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast