Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need ideas for a small north facing balcony (UK)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,218 Times

Default I need ideas for a small north facing balcony (UK)

I have been trying to grow chillies year on year for about the past 5 years, and have had some success with annums like Bird's Eye chilli, but basically had not as much luck with the habanero types (Habs): Reaper, Naga and the like.

The trouble with the Habs is that they don't ripen in time before the frost ruins/kills them, nor does the amount of sun the balcony get meet their needs.

So... shall I just plain give up on the idea of growing them on the balcony, and get them a grow tent and a grow light, since a green house is out of the question?

Thanks.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

M_C (29-08-17)

MrChedHead Guest

Imo the reason you strugglin is the fact your balcony is north facin... tha no good man, I successfully grew 11 large jalepenos an 2 nagas on a balcony once, lucky fr me it was south facing.... get your self a grow tent an a hid lamp, you will have chillis comin out ye ears! Dont forget to make room fr the canna plants tho

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrChedHead For This Useful Post:

B.A.BARACUS (12-04-17), Valentina (12-04-17)

Thanks

Thanks! North facing is all I have at the moment... I could potentially speak with the landlord but that would most probably cost money and security totally uncontrollable. Tent it is then.

The canna can juana when the situation changes from way, way, way up top. You'd think that in the (so called) democratic country that is the UK, given that there are more citizens than suits, the suits would have to comply with what the People want... but they don't. Yet the People... never mind. Fingers crossed it won't be long now. I have my eyes on the "White" strains, the high CBDs, and the sativas. But until then, nagas and reapers in a tent for me to get good with growing.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

Bddonkey Guest

Don't you have a south facing window?

Hobbit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post
    I have been trying to grow chillies year on year for about the past 5 years, and have had some success with annums like Bird's Eye chilli, but basically had not as much luck with the habanero types (Habs): Reaper, Naga and the like.

The trouble with the Habs is that they don't ripen in time before the frost ruins/kills them, nor does the amount of sun the balcony get meet their needs.

So... shall I just plain give up on the idea of growing them on the balcony, and get them a grow tent and a grow light, since a green house is out of the question?

Thanks.
    Under lights is an expensive way to grow chilis

Quote Originally Posted by forever_TT_green View Post
    Imo the reason you strugglin is the fact your balcony is north facin... tha no good man, I successfully grew 11 large jalepenos an 2 nagas on a balcony once, lucky fr me it was south facing.... get your self a grow tent an a hid lamp, you will have chillis comin out ye ears! Dont forget to make room fr the canna plants tho
    Haha had me scratching my head a min that did TT forgot your lot are upside down lol.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

Valentina (27-08-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buddonkey View Post
    Don't you have a south facing window?
    I have, but a lot of the direct sunlight gets blocked by other houses as I live right on the corner.

I have one small Quintisho chilli plant growing on that south facing windowsill at the moment and fingers crossed it flowers soon and I can have a few pods to show for this year.

For the habaneros indoors, it's amazing how changing up the nutes and giving them a bit of warmth can really change their growth around.

Not bought the tent yet but will see how that goes. I have a 7-pot cross that has been over-wintered from last year and am deciding on what to do this year. It's lanky and needs light!
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

Bddonkey Guest

I have, but a lot of the direct sunlight gets blocked by other houses as I live right on the corner.

I have one small Quintisho chilli plant growing on that south facing windowsill at the moment and fingers crossed it flowers soon and I can have a few pods to show for this year.

For the habaneros indoors, it's amazing how changing up the nutes and giving them a bit of warmth can really change their growth around.

Not bought the tent yet but will see how that goes. I have a 7-pot cross that has been over-wintered from last year and am deciding on what to do this year. It's lanky and needs light!
    Sorry Valentina if i had read your thread properly i would have seen your situation. What's with the chilli plants, just buy chillis.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bddonkey For This Useful Post:

Valentina (28-08-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Under lights is an expensive way to grow chilis

Haha had me scratching my head a min that did TT forgot your lot are upside down lol.
    LOL, yeah, but I like them stupid hot but without that vinegary-lemony flavour. Just can't find the "right" chilli oils these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddonkey View Post
    Sorry Valentina if i had read your thread properly i would have seen your situation. What's with the chilli plants, just buy chillis.
    Yeah, just buying them would be the easier way! But the hotter peppers tend to be a bit niche and prices inflated. And I eat lots. *LOTS*. ASDA used to have dried habanero flakes in glass bottles for a little over a pound. I go through one of those bottles in 2 weeks. The normal birdseye chilli flakes don't really pack much of a punch.

May be the plants can get a head start in the winter under a light so they are more mature when they are moved outside. I don't know yet.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

M_C (28-08-17)

The Aspie Toker Guest

LOL, yeah, but I like them stupid hot but without that vinegary-lemony flavour. Just can't find the "right" chilli oils these days.

Yeah, just buying them would be the easier way! But the hotter peppers tend to be a bit niche and prices inflated. And I eat lots. *LOTS*. ASDA used to have dried habanero flakes in glass bottles for a little over a pound. I go through one of those bottles in 2 weeks. The normal birdseye chilli flakes don't really pack much of a punch.

May be the plants can get a head start in the winter under a light so they are more mature when they are moved outside. I don't know yet.
    Sainsbury's sell Scotch Bonnets and some Tesco's sell Carolina Reapers.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

Valentina (28-08-17)

Thanks

Thanks!! There are local corner shops that sell fresh habaneros, and sometimes they are good, but no reapers.

Been out to ethnic green grocers too and can't say experiences have been good entirely. :]

But thanks though. Will keep looking.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast