Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Buds with burnt or no hairs.

Thanks

Default Answered: Buds with burnt or no hairs.

I would like to get a second/better opinion. We've ran into a problem and would like to get it cleared up before things get too far into flowering. We've just transferred into flower about a month ago and half the buds are forming nicely but the other half seems to be lacking hairs, has burnt "black" hairs or no hairs at all really or just a "brown" look to it.

I believe we ran into a ph problem a month before flowering because we started to use distilled water and didn't realize distilled water was acidic. We ended up getting some ph down and everything was starting to turn around. However, we were reading off a chart that suggested 5.8-6.3. I always thought those numbers were for hydro and not soil. Come to find out I need to shoot between 6-7 for soil? So we could have over shot the ph and brought it down too much.

Third problem.. when we first transferred over to flower everything was looking fine until we noticed some funky brown almost dust like spots forming and almost wierd looking over-saturation. My thought was that we over fertilized since my friend got overzealous and wanted them to grow. But with the high ph we were just getting over, I'm thinking it was too much for them to handle. We ended up watering straight for a week thinking it might clear out anything.

Then started our regular nutrient/CaMg cycle again but with less water per feed (in case of over-watering) and more watering days in between to maybe "flush".

Will my buds turn around?

Is my root system shot from the ph and will a dose of let's say "great white" or a rooting hormone help?

Is there such a thing as too much co2?

I can try and get better pictures later.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. "hi,distilled water isnt acidic,its completely nuetral at 7ph.

it is however much more easily influenced by ph changers and a tiny bit of up or down etc will have far more effect than if same added to standard tap water.

distilled water obviously contains no background minerals etc so you need to factor those into your feed schedule on top of your normal nutes.

if its good soil,not just a collection of recycled plastic etc,then ph isnt a factor and you can ignore having to worry about it as the soil /micros will adjust itself.

do a search for RO based grows,they should have more info on what n how far as background nutes go.

i myself am only just starting to use ro water and i have a mono nute called "micro" which appears to cover everything useful thats missing from the ro water."

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GSIntegral For This Useful Post:

Frosty (01-08-22), GEORGE (24-04-17), ggotch (24-04-17)

Thanks

Better photo of the issue.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GSIntegral For This Useful Post:

Frosty (01-08-22), GEORGE (24-04-17), ggotch (24-04-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,849 Times
    Provided Answers: 19

hi,distilled water isnt acidic,its completely nuetral at 7ph.

it is however much more easily influenced by ph changers and a tiny bit of up or down etc will have far more effect than if same added to standard tap water.

distilled water obviously contains no background minerals etc so you need to factor those into your feed schedule on top of your normal nutes.

if its good soil,not just a collection of recycled plastic etc,then ph isnt a factor and you can ignore having to worry about it as the soil /micros will adjust itself.

do a search for RO based grows,they should have more info on what n how far as background nutes go.

i myself am only just starting to use ro water and i have a mono nute called "micro" which appears to cover everything useful thats missing from the ro water.
    Last edited by ggotch; 23-04-17 at 05:02 PM.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ggotch For This Useful Post:

Frosty (01-08-22), GEORGE (24-04-17), Glynne (30-04-17), GSIntegral (23-04-17), JB (30-04-17), SmobyToker#1 (01-05-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ggotch View Post

I agree with everything you're saying except for the 7.0 ph. We've started to ph check everything and the distilled water shows anywhere from 8.5-9.5 just from opening a fresh gallon.

I have notice major changes in ph using distilled water compared to others. Just a drop or two of ph down can go a long ways.

Our "irragation" water just turned on for the year and just switched over to that instead of the distilled.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GSIntegral For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-04-17), ggotch (23-04-17), Glynne (30-04-17)

Thanks

i myself am only just starting to use ro water and i have a mono nute called "micro" which appears to cover everything useful thats missing from the ro water.
    And yes it is good soil.. a mix of fox farms and happy frog. Nothing shotty.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GSIntegral For This Useful Post:

Ganja_Montana (08-05-17), GEORGE (24-04-17), ggotch (24-04-17), Glynne (30-04-17)

Thanks

its not distilled water then,every site i looked at before getting my ro kit has said the same thing,the water out is ph7 nuetral,ec is zero.

my first test of my kit its showing the same numbers?

have no idea what that water is youve got but it isnt right,or your meters/pens need calibrating.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ggotch For This Useful Post:

Dale92 (27-04-17), EyeEyePickle (24-04-17), GEORGE (24-04-17), Glynne (30-04-17), JB (30-04-17)

Thanks

its not distilled water then,every site i looked at before getting my ro kit has said the same thing,the water out is ph7 nuetral,ec is zero.

my first test of my kit its showing the same numbers?

have no idea what that water is youve got but it isnt right,or your meters/pens need calibrating.
    Ya it's wierd. Lol. We calibrate the pen (liquid ph tester) every two days. Thought it might be out of whack but we check the reference solution (7.0), make sure it's cleared off then check our water before and after nutes.

We have a small tent so checking RO is difficult with the trellis but I'm really considering of doing it here in the next day. We have a soil meter that read 7.5 when we first noticed the ph problem but as off now on the girls and never ever have I seen it go below 7.0 like the meter claims.

I'm just thinking/hoping it was the ph issue that affected the growth in the beginning and that it will turn around here shortly.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GSIntegral For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-04-17), ggotch (23-04-17), Glynne (30-04-17)

Thanks

is the reference solution freshly made or shop bought pre-made and old,if freshly made you didnt use that distilled water for it did you?

whats ec of your distilled water,should be zero .

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ggotch For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-04-17), Glynne (30-04-17), GSIntegral (23-04-17)

Thanks

is the reference solution freshly made or shop bought pre-made and old,if freshly made you didnt use that distilled water for it did you?

whats ec of your distilled water,should be zero .
    It's pre-made/store bought, no mixing of distilled. I don't see an expiration date. We put a fresh batch in a glass every time we calibrate. We also use a fresh glass of distilled to "clean" it off every time we check/put it into the storage solution.

We dip it in our water/nutrient mix a few times, let it sit in there until the reading stops changing. I've been shooting for 6.5-6.8.

I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you anything about ec/ro readings. We don't have an ec reader. Besides the cheapo soil ph meter. I need to pick up some bigger trays so I don't get water all over the tent. Lol. I'll have to look into a new meter as well.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GSIntegral For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-04-17), ggotch (23-04-17)

Thanks

sounds a lot like my early setup,except i still have shite water from the pipe.

you have decent soil so shouldnt have to be ph'ing about with the feed,just go in with a weak feed and watch what the plants tell you,(light green hungry etc).

but you definately need to figure out what your water is about,if only to find out if its drinkable even,certainly seems as far away from distilled as you can get,perhaps even coming direct out of a well somewhere.
    perhaps someones having you on selling it to you,get yourself the ec pen and know for sure.
    cheers n atb mate.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggotch For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-04-17)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast