Thread: EUPD, OCD - anecdotal effects of smoking while on medication.

Thanks

Default EUPD, OCD - anecdotal effects of smoking while on medication.

So I've been blessed with the neurology of a joke that is I've had OCD since I was a sproglit. During childhood I had a short period of time on SSRIs which I decided myself to come off as they seemed to invoke suicidal & self harming behaviour in me. At 14 I left school (I did my GCSEs early so I could leave) as I couldn't cope with the environment & structure that was there, as well as my school not knowing how to appropriately deal with my condition, effectively leading to neglect. I was a stay at home & play WoW person except for a few times a week i'd hang out up town with other dossers - I started smoking my greens about 15-16 at 16 I also decided to go into my current profession & went to college - I'm unsure if smoking weed was what got me to the headspace to be able to do that.

So I went through life without medication other than that small period on SSRIs which had made me very anxious about medication anyway so fast forward many years and i'm smoking on and off, mostly on studies all went well, work went well - at least every other Friday down my mates toking. Fast forward a little more and I'm lost in work, I got no time to smoke because I'm working almost every day (after a couple of promotions and tons of responsibility) so I couldn't get high because I'd be on call and could need to drive out to someone at any given moment and if I wasn't on call I would be working anyway.

So I had a period of maybe 1 year smoke free - during this year my mental health declined rapidly, towards the end of it I was unable to concentrate, was hardly eating, constantly lashing out verbally and just not looking after myself, right up to the point where I was self harming during work - eventually I ended up off sick and my mom suggested I go back to toking so I did for a while and got a little more stable and went back to work, but same thing - I worked for three months straight without a day off no smoking trying to keep myself busy while my headspace was getting clogged up with real nasty things. Until I ended up in hospital that was & got some treatment there.

Back on meds now, since just before my hospital admission. So I'm sure they have some effect on my thought process etc, however I have found that I am at my best when I'm smoking regularly - not just when I'm high but the times in between also.

I've found that smoking regularly has a significant effect on my overall health in general -

While high:
    Brain slows down & enables me to process my thoughts and feelings better without becoming overwhelmed.
    Gives good pain management (neurological pain due to chronic pain condition) which helps me to avoid taking opioid based painkillers which cause nausea in me anyway.
    Reduces my level of anxiety so I'm able to make phone calls & fill in forms that I need to.
    Helps me to get a decent nightmare free sleep, as otherwise I'm sleep deprived.

While not high but regularly smoking:
    Generally going outside more & being more active
    Having a normal appetite & eating regularly (once a day or so is a lot for me usually)
    Being more sociable, playing games online more & hanging out in teamspeak even when not playing.
    Getting out more with my family, finding nice places to toke mostly.
    Taking better care of myself in general (showering regularly, cleaning clothes & tidying etc) showering while high is the best shit.
    My mood is better regulated, I have measurably less 'episodes' (EUPD) and my episodes of self harm are much much fewer than otherwise.

So my experience can be summed up to this:
    Smoking is better than any medication I've ever been prescribed for my illnesses/conditions, mental and otherwise.
    I suffer no delusions that smoking can fix any of my issues, but it certainly does a good number at treating the symptoms, and I'd rather not go without for my health's sake.
    However smoking while on medication should by all means have the opposite effect, it should nullify the positive effects of medication & exasperate my existing conditions, clearly for me that is not the case - but it goes against what I know professionally, as well as what I would be saying to any patient, co-worker, professional liaison, acquaintance etc.

Anyone else have similar experiences? Or maybe the same type of conditions with completely different experiences? I'm curious to know people's individual anecdotes as professionally I only come across "bad drug abused caused all these problems" cases, and I just can't believe that's the case with my own experience.
    Last edited by OrchidLady; 28-04-17 at 02:21 PM. Reason: spell

Thanks

If your smoking casually then it will be ok. Just like drinking. But. If your smoking often then i would chose one or the other...

Most meds arnt ment to be taken for too long anyways because you will become dependant on them. Have you tried that CBT? I here there new ones coming out that are being trialled.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks

I'm actually due to be on DBT for a year minimum. The medication I'm on is the long term kind where they don't expect me to come off it.
    I would rather just keep taking it & smoke casually (every day several times a day ;D) but It's probably not going to fix my chemical imbalances etc so I'll keep taking my meds.