Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just a reminder to new starters in Wilma grow

Thanks

Default Just a reminder to new starters in Wilma grow

Hi guys

Thought I would just put this out there, now I've grown before nft about ten years ago and had great success so I'm in a position to fire up again and started with a wilma 4 pot.

I did all the research made some mods got my plants together and in they went I was happy as a pig in a bacon sandwich. All was going well although I did see some strange readings from my ec and ph meters I thought nothing of it.

Three weeks went by with me fighting the system the whole way and then all my plants locked up and died! I was gutted and had to find out why.

Turns out the wash that I gave my clay pebbles was not enough and all the sediment run into the system and locked up the nutes and blocked two of the drippers. I now know the mistake I made and and just wanted to let you all know that those pebbles need to run clear before you go near your pots.

If you don't wash them correctly your in for a whole world of pain so take your time wash them through and ph them it will save you suffering as I have this massive delay.

Happy growing

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to WWBB For This Useful Post:

bigbadbillybob (14-05-17), Dazmandaz (14-05-17), ERBURT (14-05-17), GEORGE (10-08-17), Ginger-bud (30-08-17), kbag (14-05-17), naber (28-11-17), Pablo (01-01-18), Panzerdank (19-07-17), Puffdaddyp (13-11-20), Tyrionblue (15-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,700 Times

very good advice,

Not washing the clay pebbles is a lot more common than you might think.
    ive been there myself in the early days of DWC, and have been OTT since then, as it takes a while to show up sometimes so most people think its plant related.
    I also soak mine at ph 5.6 between grows, if there is gonna be a gap - ha ....likely !!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigbadbillybob For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-08-17), Pablo (01-01-18)

Thanks

Bigbad

It was a harsh lesson learned felt sorry for my plants bless them luckily I grow a strong mother to carry on the blood line the cuttings are rooting now.

But yes those pebbles took about 3 hrs to run completey clear then bath them in a ph of 5.6 if you can think of any more mistakes I might make then I'm all ears

Happy growing

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WWBB For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,849 Times

yep,recently had this,washed them in shower for fooking ages,n week later the wilma bottom was 1/8" deep in bits of clay,stupid thing.

am unimpressed with clay,and the stupid drippers

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ggotch For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-08-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ggotch View Post
    yep,recently had this,washed them in shower for fooking ages,n week later the wilma bottom was 1/8" deep in bits of clay,stupid thing.

am unimpressed with clay,and the stupid drippers
    Yep I was thinking the same but then I thought you just gotta be ott about the whole thing to get the best result and in a way I've learned an important lesson wash the shit outta those things

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WWBB For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-08-17), ggotch (02-06-17)

Thanks

I always used to have decent sucsess with clays and i only washed them and didnt ph. Maybe i was just lucky. Have you considerd if your meters are faulty?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mrnice586 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-08-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrnice586 View Post
    I always used to have decent sucsess with clays and i only washed them and didnt ph. Maybe i was just lucky. Have you considerd if your meters are faulty?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Mr Nice

Yea you know you've a point and as a matter of caution I've gone and replaced both ec and ph meters just in case. I don't think they were the problem but I'm not taking any chances!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to WWBB For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-08-17)

Thanks

i think ive fucked up because i just washed the clay pebbles in water with 5.8 ph and put them directly in to the pots.... now im gonna turn to flower stage...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to oak For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,676 Times

Check pump flow daily with pebbles and frequently feed, if not hit problems fast.
    They dry out quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hippy Crack For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-08-17)

Thanks

I know clay balls is clay balls but is there a "best" brand to go with ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast