Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mycorrhizae in hydroponics!!!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

Default Mycorrhizae in hydroponics!!!

Almost any plant can be grown in soil can be grown can be grown in a hydroponic system, from trees to fruits and vegetables.

Because no soil is used, a liquid nutrient delivery system supplies all the nutrients a plant need.
    Why should plants also need mycorrhizal fungi?
    Simply put, mycorrhizal fungi offer the same benefits in hydroponic applications as they offer in planting media and soil. Mycorrhizal fungi are good at what they do, especially in the delivery of phosphorus and nitrogen to there plant symbionts. As they do in other growing systems, fungi grown in hydroponic systems expand the effective root area into the surrounding growing substrate, be it coconut fibre,roockwool,oasis cubes,gravel,perlite or vermiculite clay pellets or other material.
    The same hyphal extension that occurs with colonised roots in soil also occurs with roots in hydroponic systems, weather plants are growing in soil, a planting mix or a hydroponic growing substrate, mycorrhizal fungi provide the same basic benefits to the host plants.

•inoculated roots in hydroponic systems are more resistant to pathogens including,rhizobia Pythium( I think we get the message here talkers.
    •mycorrhizal fungi can create physical barriers around roots to protect them disease and pathogenic fungi.
    •colonised plant roots branch and form more feeder roots, so more nutrients can be retrieved from the surrounding area.
    •mycorrhizal fungi grown in a hydroponic system can support mycorrhizoshperic organisms that provide protective metabolites.

Mycorrhizal considerations for hydroponic systems
    As with any growing system, for mycorrhizal fungi to thrive and benefit plants in a hydroponic system, growers must use the appropriate species of mycorrhizal fungi to colonise the plants being grown. They must also consider several other factors.

A hydroponic system that intends to support colonisation of roots by mycorrhizal fungi must be fully aerobic. To ensure that the fungi will survive, growers should maintain oxygen levels at 6-8 ppm(for context, most tap water provides 5 ppm of oxygen) oxygen can be added to the growing environment via air stones or bubblers( alltgough hydrogen peroxide can also oxygenate it will kill mycorrhizal fungi and host plant tissue and should not be used).
    Most hydroponic systems use some form of media to support plants such as rock wool or expanded clay pebbles, many scientists use a modified hydroponic system for there studies, using sand as a growing medium and saturating with nutrient solution, but mycorrhizal fungi will grow in nearly any substrate, or even water alone if it provides enough oxygen.

I have warned people here!!!!!!
    Hydroponic growers often add phosphorus to nutrient delivery systems, but an increase in phosphorus levels can result in decreasing amounts of mycorrhizal colonization. When large amounts of phosphorus are present in the system, at levels of around 70 ppm fungal spores go dormant and will not germinate. By monitoring phosphorus levels and avoiding adding too much fertiliser growers can encourage the formation of mycorrhizae.

The presence of chlorine and chlorimines in public water systems can also effect the mycorrhizal growth, chlorine dissipates into the atmosphere in about eight hours but chloramines take days to evaporate and should be removed from water used in hydroponic applications. You can find this shit out yourself easy enough it's getting tiring writing stuff that's easily obtainable pmsl..

The ph of water in hydroponic systems is also important. Most mycorrhizal fungi require a ph range of 5.5-7.0 to survive. Mycorrhizal mix packages often list the required ph levels

I'm sorry those of you using gws as this will be a bit of a knovk back possibly.
    Have you been wasting your money talkers, I'm sure you'll have your opinions and who will brace the temps?????

Finally maintaining proper temperatures will maximise mycorrhizal colonisation, Arbuscular(I've said the types we use somewhere) mycorrhizal fungi thrive in temperatures of 65-75(24-30), which is the ideal temperature for most plants. Growers should be aware that vesicles, spores and fungal hyphae will not survive temperatures above 120 (49). Plants would die under such extremely high temperatures aswell. When storing mycorrhizal inoculants growers should also consider appropriate temperatures.

Using inoculants
    Hydroponic supply sources offer mycorrhizal mixes specifically designed for hydroponic systems. In these blends,spores and hyphal fragments are mixed with delivery media in liquid or powder form. To establish mycorrhizae, make sure the inoculants are in direct contact with rooted or unrooted cuttings before they are placed into the hydroponic system, or soak the starter cubes in liquid formulations or granular formulations mixed with water, as in soil, the spores will germinate when they are signaled by the root exudates.
    Many formulations can be added directly to the hydroponic nutrient delivery system; the particles within the mix are small enough to pass through systems without clogging up lines of emitters, mycorrhizal formulation suppliers should indicate the proper ways to distribute the inoculants.
    Mycorrhizal fungi do not generally reproduce in hydroponic systems, so it is a good practice to add more inoculants to the nutrient delivery system as roots develop to ensure maximum colonization throughout the life of the plant.
    How much more and how often?
    The plants can offer the answers,fast root and plant growth require more frequent addition of inoculants. Because it takes about two weeks before mycorrhizae to become established(shit think do we even ever get mycorrhizal fungi established with weekly res changes sorry) application should be discontinued a few weeks before flowering for flowering crops and a few weeks before harvest of others, such as lettuce.
    He names a load of veggies and shit here but I'll just put the cannabis people
    Claroideoglomus claroideum. C, etunicatum. Funnelliformis geosporum. F, mosseae. Glomus microaggregatum.
    Rhizophagus clarus and R. Intaraddices are successful inoculants for cannabis growing in rock wool, using mixes of several inoculants results in healthy plants.

Hope this is a bug of useful information family,
    Hobbit I'm actually still gathering info trichoderma but if you have any specific questions I'll email the writer of the book and hopefully get them answered as he has helped me with a couple answers before.

Blessings and gratitude
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

B.A.BARACUS (16-06-17), ballboy (25-06-17), Blue (16-06-17), British green (24-06-17), Bud Lightyear (16-06-17), Cannabug (13-04-21), DrCannaP (23-06-17), GEORGE (28-05-19), gethighper (12-11-17), ggotch (17-06-17), Ginger-bud (05-05-18), Hedonistic Hippy (02-04-19), Jesse Pinkman (23-06-17), joker_the_smoker (16-06-17), kbag (23-06-17), M_C (17-06-17), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (17-02-20), TomKing (17-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-19), joker_the_smoker (16-06-17), redisiel (16-06-17), Valentina (01-11-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Lightyear View Post
    Very informative post Redz cheers fella....Straight in with a sticky

Regards BL
    it is and will always be my aim sir to educate the fellow gardener and my first sticky whoop whoop
    Blessings and gratitude
    Redz

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

DrCannaP (23-06-17), GEORGE (28-05-19), gethighper (12-11-17), M_C (17-06-17), TomKing (17-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 39,862 Times

I'll have to read it a few times, think i get the jist though.. Well done reds

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to B.A.BARACUS For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-19), M_C (17-06-17), redisiel (16-06-17)

Hobbit Guest

Good call on the sticky Bud. Red i was laying in bed thinking about this last night. Especially in regards to the res change and having to rebuild you colony before next change. Also still have nagging thoughts about how pointless it is if using synthetic nutes. I still cant find any info on the OPs comment that it will survive up to 1.5 Ec. There may be a ring of truth in it though as even organics do have an Ec. I have been sticking my pen in all sorts of organic slurries these last couple of days. Just to throw a spanner in the works mate I have come across a few articles saying that tricha is best not used due to its feeding on other fungi and bacteria. As always there are as many opinions as posts lol. Cheers for taking the time brother. In regards to questions for the author, mate id like to know which bacteria and fungi share the most beneficial symbiosis with weed plants and where these guys like to hang out in the wild. Gotta get me a microscope asap. If I can get enough info together I want to try totally organic coco grow next.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

M_C (17-06-17), redisiel (17-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Good call on the sticky Bud. Red i was laying in bed thinking about this last night. Especially in regards to the res change and having to rebuild you colony before next change. Also still have nagging thoughts about how pointless it is if using synthetic nutes. I still cant find any info on the OPs comment that it will survive up to 1.5 Ec. There may be a ring of truth in it though as even organics do have an Ec. I have been sticking my pen in all sorts of organic slurries these last couple of days. Just to throw a spanner in the works mate I have come across a few articles saying that tricha is best not used due to its feeding on other fungi and bacteria. As always there are as many opinions as posts lol. Cheers for taking the time brother. In regards to questions for the author, mate id like to know which bacteria and fungi share the most beneficial symbiosis with weed plants and where these guys like to hang out in the wild. Gotta get me a microscope asap. If I can get enough info together I want to try totally organic coco grow next.
    Lol sounds like me most days and nights lololololol
    Microbe man(Tim Wilson) the one from the compost tea thread I copied from done a show and I have the pod cast for ya if you want and he says there also trichoderma is fine but we need to take into account that they eat other fungi, it's all about balance and if I'm honest the same bennies for one plant are near enough the same as any other they only really differ when it comes to the likes of plant kingdoms they come from.
    Perennials,trees shrubs etc,
    There's not that many to learn in the way of the bacteria,archea, fungi, nematodes,Protozoa they all have to be taken into consideration.

Can I ask why you will use coco mate? It's not known to have a very good cec which doesn't get you off to a great start at least in terms of ease of growing.

I'll get you a list of the bennies mate and these answers also lie in the another book this dude wrote teaming with microbes, these 2 books along with his third teaming with nutrients are a god send
    Redz

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-19), gethighper (12-11-17), M_C (17-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Great post Red! It answered a few questions that I had
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-19), redisiel (17-06-17)

Guest Guest

This one requires a few re reads I think haha

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-19), M_C (18-06-17), redisiel (17-06-17)

Hobbit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by redsiel View Post
    Lol sounds like me most days and nights lololololol
    Microbe man(Tim Wilson) the one from the compost tea thread I copied from done a show and I have the pod cast for ya if you want and he says there also trichoderma is fine but we need to take into account that they eat other fungi, it's all about balance and if I'm honest the same bennies for one plant are near enough the same as any other they only really differ when it comes to the likes of plant kingdoms they come from.
    Perennials,trees shrubs etc,
    There's not that many to learn in the way of the bacteria,archea, fungi, nematodes,Protozoa they all have to be taken into consideration.

Can I ask why you will use coco mate? It's not known to have a very good cec which doesn't get you off to a great start at least in terms of ease of growing.

I'll get you a list of the bennies mate and these answers also lie in the another book this dude wrote teaming with microbes, these 2 books along with his third teaming with nutrients are a god send
    Redz
    Lol Red you must be single as well lmao. Send me the podcast bro. For some reason that I can't figure out I cant get itunes t down load properly so i haven't listened to the other ones yet. I will try download on another computer tomorrow. Mate i just would like know to more about different species outta pure interest and cause i'm single atm. I did read an article that said they manage their own balance, and that, just for example, if the tricha eat the fungi it helps the fungi. The analogy was that of pruning a shrub the more you prune the denser the outcome. Same principal as air pots. Now while i know this to be true in stems and roots I couldn't get my head around fungi operating this way. Sooo in my mind laying in bed lol i gets to thinking how do they manage themselve and does fungi actually like a good topping. Hence my questions mate. In regards to growing a plant organic in coco, the answer is simple, I haven't seen it done mate. I'm going to try and source that book from the library. Really appreciate your knowledge and your amazing effort to get it out there mate .
    Cheers RED
    Last edited by Hobbit; 17-06-17 at 10:13 AM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

M_C (18-06-17), redisiel (17-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Lol Red you must be single as well lmao. Send me the podcast bro. For some reason that I can't figure out I cant get itunes t down load properly so i haven't listened to the other ones yet. I will try download on another computer tomorrow. Mate i just would like know to more about different species outta pure interest and cause i'm single atm. I did read an article that said they manage their own balance, and that, just for example, if the tricha eat the fungi it helps the fungi. The analogy was that of pruning a shrub the more you prune the denser the outcome. Same principal as air pots. Now while i know this to be true in stems and roots I couldn't get my head around fungi operating this way. Sooo in my mind laying in bed lol i gets to thinking how do they manage themselve and does fungi actually like a good topping. Hence my questions mate. In regards to growing a plant organic in coco, the answer is simple, I haven't seen it done mate. I'm going to try and source that book from the library. Really appreciate your knowledge and your amazing effort to get it out there mate .
    Cheers RED
    I've hesrd some good things about this working well in coco also on podcast pmsl,
    I am very much single brother and possibly the free ladies helping me get this way or at least my passion for the green kind did probably,
    The fungi grow hyphae this is where I would start a search for the fungi..

Onto something I've been reading more about is the way trichoderma also penetrate plant roots but they tend to get there sources/food please bare with me because I'm only just goi g deeper into it still brother, from organic matter instead of root exudates,
    More to come on this for sure.
    Hectic day here soooooooo damn hot ffs,
    Gimme your email again plz H I emptied out my inbox and I'm still not to good at sending or using the emails unless it's a straight reply lol.
    I use this for podcasts seems to work really well and you can see there's a few to get through pmsl

Just called podcast in iTunes
    Then you'll be able to subscribe and download the lot.
    It's a pleasure sharing knowledge brother it is the key after all!
    Blessings and gratitude
    Redz

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-19), gethighper (12-11-17), M_C (18-06-17)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast