Thread: RDWC Newbie

Thanks

Default RDWC Newbie

Hi All,

Long time lurker of the forum, and I am thinking of "raising my own" again after a 4 year break. I've previously only grown auto flowers under CFL's, so would be looking to make the jump into hydro/HPS 600w this time, given the 20oz + monsters that are regularly shown off by the talented indoor botanist's on here.

I'm just trying to get an idea in my mind but, essentially are the home made RDCW's easy to drain and change, given that the general advice is change your res every month. I'm unsure as to how this is done, is it a case of just draining the res via an outlet valve, or do you need to access and drain the growing buckets with the spray bars as well.

Also does this mean you are essentially leaving the plants dry, pump to spray bars off, while you change and drain the solution. Are their any tips when designing your system for easy maintainence (a screen over the grown buckets outlet to stop roots blocking for example) that I should consider.

Unfortunately as a newman I can't see the completed grow diaries, so am hoping there are other threads you could link.

PS Are the Amazon systems such as *REMOVED* (not endorsing seller for reference only) essentially a commercial version of a RDWC? how would these compare in terms of final yields etc
    Last edited by M_C; 28-06-17 at 12:21 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NeCkRo For This Useful Post:

ERBURT (27-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NeCkRo View Post
    Hi All,

Long time lurker of the forum, and I am thinking of "raising my own" again after a 4 year break. I've previously only grown auto flowers under CFL's, so would be looking to make the jump into hydro/HPS 600w this time, given the 20oz + monsters that are regularly shown off by the talented indoor botanist's on here.

I'm just trying to get an idea in my mind but, essentially are the home made RDCW's easy to drain and change, given that the general advice is change your res every month. I'm unsure as to how this is done, is it a case of just draining the res via an outlet valve, or do you need to access and drain the growing buckets with the spray bars as well.

Also does this mean you are essentially leaving the plants dry, pump to spray bars off, while you change and drain the solution. Are their any tips when designing your system for easy maintainence (a screen over the grown buckets outlet to stop roots blocking for example) that I should consider.

Unfortunately as a newman I can't see the completed grow diaries, so am hoping there are other threads you could link.

PS Are the Amazon systems such as *REMOVED* (not endorsing seller for reference only) essentially a commercial version of a RDWC? how would these compare in terms of final yields etc
    I cobbed together a Waterfarm into a 4 bucket RDWC system using a 15 gal plastic tub as my reservoir. I replaced the air pump and drip rings with a water pump and airstones. I use a shutoff valve to control my water flow (4gph). Problems I've had is heat and root rot. A 1/13 hp chiller, some O2O and black garbage bags to block out all light around the white WF grow buckets solved that problem.
    I have everything elevated so with REZ changes, I just disconnect the line between the Rez and the 1st buckets and let gravity do the rest. I may use this system again, the small 3/4 " tubes will get clogged with roots and the pot may overflow into your grow area, so it's far from perfect.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to scurfer For This Useful Post:

NeCkRo (18-07-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,700 Times

Quote Originally Posted by NeCkRo View Post
    Hi All,

yes. I used to use a sump pump to empty the res. all the water from the totes will flow back to the res due to gravity. get a spiral hose from sump pump tho, not a lay flat one
    oh and change the res every fortnight inflower and every 3 weeks in veg, to prevent build up of salts or too much micro/ macro nutrients.

don't really need a screen over the outlets - just turn the net pot every few days to prevent roots in the outlet pipes.
    plant roots will be dry when system is drained, but you will be filling it up again so no problem

ive answeredin your quote above too- duh how did I do that?

don't buy theamazon system, its aeroponic and very fussy.
    far better to build one, with really useful boxes, 40mm waste and 22mm spray bars.
    you will also NEED a chiller and they aint cheap.

if I can make a recommendation to you, get yourself a powerfull airpump like a 60 litre a minute one, some 64 or 84 litre totes from really useful box co. insulatethe outside of the tote with siver bubble wrap type insulation, and go with that.
    the difference in yield is minimal, but its much cheaper to set up.
    only down side is it takes longer to empty/ re-fill them.

I did a 27 ounce monster with a 32 litre tote , 2 airstones and a airpump, but had to top uop the box at least once a day- hence the bigger totes.

hope this makes sense

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bigbadbillybob For This Useful Post:

NeCkRo (18-07-17)

Thanks

Hey, I used waterfarms before and my setup was level. I drained my waterfarms by buying a drill pump hooked up using the same diameter hosing on the waterline indicator. Hook the hosing up via two way connector, a few feet to the drill pump and then to the drain. Flip the drill pump around ( or use reverse on the pump and drill if applicable and fill those suckers right back up)