Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: You guys should use HTTPS

Thanks

Default You guys should use HTTPS

Hey forum mods/admins,

I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, but you guys should use HTTPS. Why? I'll explain a little.

When a page is requested on the forum the request goes from the users computer/phone/tablet through their router, to the ISP. The ISP then routes it to the next destination. These are called packets, think of them like envelopes. Currently without HTTPS the ISP can see everything sent across the wire. This includes posts the user is reading, and posts the user makes. In the UK especially this is dangerous for personal growers as the Government has the power to view ISP logs without a warrant. Check out the Investigatory Powers Bill that was recently passed.

This means it is very easy and simple for the Government, federal agents etc to view everything you're saying, or doing.

With HTTPS the ISP, or anyone else, can't see any communication a user is having on the forum. They can see the user accesses the forum's IP address, but they can't see any of the data the user requests or posts. It's encrypted.

HTTPS doesn't cost anything these days. Let's Encrypt offers free HTTPS certificates and is very easy to setup. I've done it hundreds of times.

Just putting that out there. It's not a concern for me as I use public hotspots, but for those who are using the forum from countries where cannabis is still illegal it's very very easy for Government/feds to see the communication going on from a user.

Ps. If you're a normal user, use a VPN just to be extra careful.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Smokeful For This Useful Post:

Admiral (24-08-17), David Spaid (24-08-17), joker_the_smoker (24-08-17), Trex (25-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,745 Times

HTTPS is not as secure as it would appear to be... Just sayin'....

As far as Governments are concerned, HTTPS is irrelevant. If they want your data, they will have your data

VPNs? Much discussed here... if you do go the VPN way, ensure that your VPN provider keeps no logs (not even temporary ones) & that they also have the ability to deal with IPV6.

Public hotspots? You are no safer as your device broadcasts a MAC addy that is unique to your device.

TOR? You are only as safe as the exit node... anyone notice the huge increase exit nodes? Happily provided by the US government... what nice guys

Using Windows 10? It dials home & lets M$ know where you have been & what you are doing

Using an Android or IOS device? The history that they have on you is far in excess of what ISPs log!
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Admiral (24-08-17), Bud Lightyear (24-08-17), David Spaid (24-08-17), ggotch (24-08-17), Glynne (24-08-17), joker_the_smoker (24-08-17), Trex (25-08-17)

Bulls Guest

So in other words- if they want you, they will have you by the nutts! If they decide to put an effort on you you're screwed whatever you do..
    Mon the Free World!

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bulls For This Useful Post:

British green (24-08-17), Bud Lightyear (24-08-17), Glynne (24-08-17), happyjack (24-08-17), M_C (24-08-17), Trex (25-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

As society turns more and more cashless there is no future for the free world. Soon everything will be logged. I've worked for gchq and if they want you they have you.

Sent from a green pleasant land

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (24-08-17), EaZiE (24-08-17), Glynne (24-08-17), M_C (24-08-17), Trex (25-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Bulls View Post
    So in other words- if they want you, they will have you by the nutts! If they decide to put an effort on you you're screwed whatever you do..
    Mon the Free World!
    Mate if GCHQ wants you you're pretty much fooked no matter how well you think you're protected...The old bill and have enough on their plates at the moment with the terrorist threats and shit going on to be arsed about a few percy growers...It's not illegal to discuss and show pics of cannabis...Pics are insubmersible evidence because you can claim it's not canna in which case it has to be tested to prove it is...I've never seen a pic of a weed plant test positive for THC lol...Load of old paranoia scaremongering bullshit...Ive been here 7 years no VPN or hiding...If they want to come then let them...

Regards BL

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

Admiral (24-08-17), British green (24-08-17), Dazmandaz (29-08-17), EaZiE (24-08-17), G' (01-01-18), M_C (24-08-17), Trex (25-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,745 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Bulls View Post
    Mon the Free World!
    It can be done, but the effort involved just ain't worth it for a weed site. A copy of Tails is a good starting point, and if you don't understand Tails then you would have no chance of understanding the other steps needed

Quote Originally Posted by British green View Post
    As society turns more and more cashless there is no future for the free world. Soon everything will be logged. I've worked for gchq and if they want you they have you.
    Very much so BG, however, the banks would prefer a cashless society so they can have access to every single transaction that you ever make... down to the daily newspaper you buy They can then sell on that data that people happily provide them with & make more profit

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

British green (24-08-17), Bud Lightyear (24-08-17), G' (01-01-18)

Bulls Guest

Yeah very very correct Bud.
    I used to live literally a few steps away from the building now I live only a couple of streets away from them..never been worried about them...i know they have enough work to do especially lately..its a forum so showing pictures is no evidence as you said. Same as being on a forum for weapons... all I wanted to say is that no matter what you do you can be traced these days..and no vpn, https, tor or anything else will stop them.
    Mon the Talk at the end of the day less I think about these things happier I am

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bulls For This Useful Post:

British green (24-08-17), Bud Lightyear (24-08-17), Dazmandaz (29-08-17), M_C (24-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    It can be done, but the effort involved just ain't worth it for a weed site. A copy of Tails is a good starting point, and if you don't understand Tails then you would have no chance of understanding the other steps needed

Very much so BG, however, the banks would prefer a cashless society so they can have access to every single transaction that you ever make... down to the daily newspaper you buy They can then sell on that data that people happily provide them with & make more profit
    I love cash 😃 cash is king 👑 but I've also always liked trading my work/trade for someone else's and I have to agree with bud that the five o and the security forces have enough to deal with then Percy growers. I've not hid from no one and just jump in my phone to get here and never had any trouble or got paranoid about it . The most dangerous thing to us lot is the old saying lose lips sink ships . No sell no tell no smell and your golden.

Sent from a green pleasant land

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

BongJovi (24-08-17), Bud Lightyear (24-08-17), Dazmandaz (29-08-17), M_C (24-08-17), Trex (25-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

Don't worry guys Ill quite happily take one for the team if ever came down to it

Regards BL

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

British green (24-08-17), M_C (24-08-17), Trex (25-08-17)

Thanks

HTTPS is not as secure as it would appear to be... Just sayin'....
    HTTPS is much better than no HTTPS at all, and as it's so easy to setup it'd be silly not to. You can't crack an SSL encryption key, not in our lifetime anyway. Man in the middle attacks can still be done with HTTPS, but your browser will alert you that the connection is unsecure. Like when you try to view the https:// version of this site.

As far as Governments are concerned, HTTPS is irrelevant. If they want your data, they will have your data
    Agreed. But, you're dealing with serious crime at that level. Nobody would go to those lengths for a personal grower. But, without HTTPS you allow any Government agency with access to the ISP databases to run queries to find personal growers whenever they like. They all have access, there's a list on the Investigatory Powers Bill wiki page. For example they could easily run a query that finds all usernames from members who are using a UK IP address. Or "find all usernames that mention the word 'grow' or 'journal'". Now they have a whole list of potential growers with evidence that links back to a home/mobile IP tracked to their address.

That's a concern for some. Also, not forgetting users in countries where the penalty for a micro grow could be years in prison.

Public hotspots? You are no safer as your device broadcasts a MAC addy that is unique to your device.
    MAC address can be easily spoofed. I use a tool for Linux called "macchanger". I have it setup so it changes the mac address on every connection, or if I unplug and replug the wifi card. Thankfully I also live near lots of public hotspots and have free access to them all.

TOR? You are only as safe as the exit node... anyone notice the huge increase exit nodes? Happily provided by the US government... what nice guys
    Yeah bad idea relying on TOR for privacy and security.

Using Windows 10? It dials home & lets M$ know where you have been & what you are doing
    Debian ftw! Although, Trovolds did say the NSA asked him to bug the Linux kernel. Who knows what huge payment he accepted behind the scenes.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smokeful For This Useful Post:

British green (24-08-17), M_C (24-08-17)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast