Thread: Basics of cryptocurrency like bitcoin

Laederon Plateau on the northern edge of the continent of Genabackis.
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,313 Times

Default Basics of cryptocurrency like bitcoin

What is crypto currency?
    Essentially it is a decentralised digital and encrypted currency transferred between peers then confirmed in an open-door ledger through a process called mining.

To understand how it works, you will need to take a look at the basic concepts. More specifically:

Ledgers:
    All confirmed teansactions from the start of creation are stored in a public ledger. The owners of the coins are encrypted and the peer system uses other cryptographic methods to ensure the record keeping is legitimate. The ledger shows that the digital wallets can calculate an accurate and spendable balance. New transactions will only use coins that are currently owned by the spender will be used. Theses transactions are usually referred to as a block chain.

Transactions:
    Simply put, a transfer of funds between two digital wallets. These are submitted to the public ledger where it then gets confirmation. When a purchase or trade is made; the wallet uses an encrypted electronic signature (cryptographic signature) to provide the proof in a mathematical format to show it is coming from the owner of the wallet. This process takes around ten minutes sometimes a little longer, while the miners mine (confirms and adds transactions to the ledger).

Mining:
    This is the process that is used to confirm the transaction and adds them to the public ledger. To add a transaction to the ledger, a miner has to solve an ever increasing complex computation problem (it is like a mathematical problem).
    The process of mining is open source so it can be confirmed by anyone.

The first to solve the problem adds a block of transactions to the ledger. The way transactions, blocks and the ledger work together ensures that not one individual can easily add or change the block at will. Once added all transactions that match are permanent and a small fee is processed to the miners wallet alongside newly created coins.

The mining process is what adds the value to the coins and is known as the proof-of-work system.

The Anatomy of Cryptocurrency
    Although there can be exceptions to the rule, there are a number of factors (beyond the basics above) that make cryptocurrency so different from the financial systems of the past:

Adaptive Scaling: Adaptive scaling essentially means that cryptocurrencies are built with a number of measures to ensure that they will work well in both large or small scales.

Adaptive Scaling Example: Bitcoin is programmed to allow for one transaction block to be mined every ten minutes. The algorithm adjusts after every 2016 blocks (theoretically, that’s every two weeks) to get easier or harder based on how long it actually took for those 2016 blocks to be mined. So if it only took 13 days for the network to mine 2016 blocks, that means it’s too easy to mine, so the difficulty increases. However, if it takes 15 days for the network to mine 2016 blocks, that shows that it’s too hard to mind, so the difficulty decreases.
    A number of other measures are included in digital coins to allow for adaptive scaling including limiting the supply overtime (to create scarcity) and reducing the reward for mining as more total coins are mined.

Cryptographic: Cryptocurrency uses a system of cryptography (AKA encryption) to control the creation of coins and to verify transactions.

Decentralized: Most currencies in circulation are controlled by a centralized government, and thus their creation can be regulated by a third party. Cryptocurrency’s creation and transactions are open source, controlled by code, and rely on “peer-to-peer” networks. There is no single entity that can affect the currency.

Digital: Traditional currency is defined by a physical object (USD representing gold for example), but cryptocurrency is all digital. Digital coins are stored in digital wallets and transferred digitally to other peoples’ digital wallets. No physical object ever exists.

Open Source: Cryptocurrencies are typically open source. That means that developers can create APIs without paying a fee and anyone can use or join the network.

Proof-of-work: Most cryptocurrencies use a proof-of-work system. A proof-of-work scheme uses a hard-to-compute but easy-to-verify computational puzzle to limit exploitation of cryptocurrency mining. Essentially, it’s like a really hard to solve “catpcha” that requires lots of computing power.

Pseudonymity: Owners of cryptocurrency keep their digital coins in an encrypted digital wallet. A coin-holder’s identification is stored in an encrypted address that they have control over – it is not attached to a person’s identity. The connection between you and your coins is pseudonymous rather than anonymous as ledgers are open to the public (and thus, the ledgers could be used to glean information about groups of individuals in the network).

Value: For something to be an effective currency, it has to have value. The US dollar used to represent actual gold. The gold was scarce and required work to mine and refine, so the scarcity and work gave the gold value. This, in turn, gave the US dollar value.

Cryptocurrency works with a similar concept. In cryptocurrency, “coins” (which are nothing more than publicly agreed on records of ownership) are generated or produced by “miners”. These miners are people who run programs on specialized hardware made specifically to solve proof-of-work puzzles. The work behind mining coins gives them value, while scarcity of coins and demand thereof causes their value to fluctuate. The idea of work giving value to currency is called a “proof-of-work” system. The other method for validating coins is called proof-of-stake. Value is also created when transactions are added to public ledgers as creating a verified “transaction block” takes work as well.

More info - cryptocurrencyfacts.com

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Karsa For This Useful Post:

M_C (22-09-17), toblue (26-09-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,977 Times

I saw bitcoin from the beginning at about 8quid for one coin. After years of debate im totally against it tbh. If you use it your contributing to peados, fraudsters/hacksrrs, and drugdealers. Alot of crime comes though bitcoin.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BritishBotanics For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MrNice View Post
    I saw bitcoin from the beginning at about 8quid for one coin. After years of debate im totally against it tbh. If you use it your contributing to peados, fraudsters/hacksrrs, and drugdealers. Alot of crime comes though bitcoin.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Exactly the same argument can be made with any form of monetary transaction. Cash is probably the worst one as no one can see what we spend cash on... but it's only really the banks that want rid of cash!
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Karsa (25-09-17), newbfarmer1985 (04-02-18)

Thanks

Have to agree with m_c here, tbh your local newsagent is probably doing more crime, I know mine sells duty free tobacco for example... Doesn't that fund crime according to the government? (no I don't buy it as it's shit haha).

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,201 Times

paper money worked fine till the bankers took control, if they cant control it they will destroy it

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to happyjack For This Useful Post:

Karsa (26-09-17), Trex (25-09-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Quote Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
    paper money worked fine till the bankers took control, if they cant control it they will destroy it
    Yes sir Jack , every central bank in the world are controlled by the major banks , lending money to the Gov at interest ,....our money ffs . Is it any wonder why every country dig deeper and deeper into debt with no end in sight ,even beijg taxed nearly 50% of our salaries .... U.S just hit 20.1 Trillion $ ,Canada 2 trillion and counting and that dont include provincial/state/regional debt ,Federal only , U.S is over 60trillion in debt hundreds in trillions of of unfunded future liabilities like medicsid ,social security .... yall think about that for a minute ...

My Organic Journal 😉

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=163164 🌱

Hobbit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    Yes sir Jack , every central bank in the world are controlled by the major banks , lending money to the Gov at interest ,....our money ffs . Is it any wonder why every country dig deeper and deeper into debt with no end in sight ,even beijg taxed nearly 50% of our salaries .... U.S just hit 20.1 Trillion $ ,Canada 2 trillion and counting and that dont include provincial/state/regional debt ,Federal only , U.S is over 60trillion in debt hundreds in trillions of of unfunded future liabilities like medicsid ,social security .... yall think about that for a minute ...

My Organic Journal ��

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=163164 ��
    Seems every country except china is in debt, lol makes you wonder how dont it .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

Trex (25-09-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Seems every country except china is in debt, lol makes you wonder how dont it .
    China is actually having surpluses ffs . They threw them bastard bankers out in the 50's , so tried Hitler in the 30's .....

My Organic Journal 😉

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=163164 🌱

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

Hobbit Guest

Yeah, I was listening to something the other day says most the world owes China but they have surplus. What made me giggle was that China actually has a very low credit rating due to the fact they dont need to borrow money lol.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

Trex (26-09-17)

Thanks

Don't they use a gold currency system like Russia now do?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Karsa For This Useful Post:

Trex (26-09-17)