Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New garage grow build

Thanks

Default New garage grow build

Hi all!
    I've decided after all these years to start growing my own but not really wanting to have it in the house due to the kids and if anything ever happened like a fire I'd be devistated, so that left me with my garage.

In the winter it's cold but not as cold as outside and in the summer it's just a comfortable temp and cooler than the outside. But I have got a few questions for any of you guys who could help.

The garage is 2.4 x 4.9 meters, all the external walls are single skin brick walls. The ceiling is just a flat roof.

My idea was to build a room internally around 2.1x2mtrs and 2.3 mtrs high. The walls would be plasterboarded both side with 50mm of insulation board in between. The ceiling would also be boarded both sides and insulated. The floor I was going to put the same 50m insulation then some osb board on top for rigidness.

I would then place a 1.5x1.5 tent within this room and bring the intake directly from the open garage side then extract straight to the atmosphere.
    The front wall would also be a full partition giving the look that I've just split my garage in half rather than there just being this big box!!

My thinking is by building a room inside and leaving air gap/cavity around this room it would help dissipate any heat which might it harder for the choppers to spot?? Don't know if that makes sense.

I was thinking though guys givien that there'd be around 2.8x2.4 of garage left could I intake and extract from that area so I didn't have to extract outside the building at all?

I'm gonna try and attach a photo of a little plan I made and if any of you could run your eye over it I'd be great full as I'm right out of depth if I'm honest.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Welshgrow For This Useful Post:

AND (11-10-19), C-Rex (11-10-19), GEORGE (30-12-17)

Thanks

[attach=config]354872[/attach
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0691.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	354872  

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Welshgrow For This Useful Post:

AND (11-10-19), British green (30-12-17), GEORGE (30-12-17), ggotch (30-12-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,547 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgrow View Post
    My thinking is by building a room inside and leaving air gap/cavity around this room it would help dissipate any heat which might it harder for the choppers to spot?? Don't know if that makes sense.
    If this is the main concern as to building this way then I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest. You could probably reduce cost a bit and ditch the tent keeping a good size grow room.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eightleggeddj For This Useful Post:

AND (11-10-19), British green (30-12-17), GEORGE (30-12-17), ggotch (30-12-17), OakyShades (30-12-17)

Bejeweled 2 Action Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 18,392 Times

if the box is insulated there won't be any heat to see via thermal camera, so i really wouldn't worry about it,
    heat extract goes up-high, the intake down low,

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

AND (11-10-19), GEORGE (30-12-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgrow View Post
    [attach=config]354872[/attach
    I’ve built loads of rooms like this and there’s no need for the tent at all. I would suggest if possible to use 3x2 or 75x50 timber and use the 75mm as the cavity and pack it with rock wool and your job will be perfect. 😃🇬🇧

Merry Christmas and my very best wishes to all

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for the help guys.

The main reason for the room was to stop prying eyes of my garage door is ever open and the main reason for the insulation was for temperature as when the lights were off it would get really cold and if I put a heater in here it would be runnin for the whole off time due to this cold, so I thought if I insulted it it would help keep some of that heat in and keep running costs down a bit.

I planned on using 38x63 cls, so do you think I could just use say 100mm rock wool and just pack it in here then? Because that would bring the costs down about £120!!

Can I extract out high from the grow area but then run that down low when it vents out?

Also the reason for the tent was because a fiend of mine gave it to me so I thought I’d just use it to make the grow area enviro easier to maintain.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Welshgrow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,487 Times

Regards to heat loss, I’m currrently in a 1.2/1.2/2 tent in a garage and have a 800w heater for lights off which is managing pretty good even at freezing outside. Best thing to get is a fan speed controller that thermostatically cuts in or out on set room temp. Mine slows to a snails pace on lights off just to get some negative pressure in the tent to stop the smell coming out.
    I don’t have any source of outside air, just suck from the bottom and vent at the top. In the summer I may have to exhaust to outside depending on how it goes. What I would say is if you’re gonna start venting outside make sure the extraction is pointing into your land or garden as you’ll have less noise for others to hear and if the carbon filter looses its activation you’ll be the first to smell it, not others! Although I would probably swap a filter out once a year to be safe anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to widowsmite For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for the reply @widowsmite
    What sort of temps are you getting in your tent then if you don’t mind me asking? Also what’s your humitidy like?

Any suggestions for fan controllers as well mate? I’ve seen a few diy ones which I should be able to knock up sand I’m a spark but I figured a proper might do a better job.

So you extract straight into your garage then yeah?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Welshgrow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 63,020 Times

I've just done something similar, I've got a garage with a utility room behind it, in the utility room I put the tent then decided a week or so later to partition it off. Now have a 3x6 ft walled off space in my utility room using timber and plasterboard,no insulation, use a 20 quid argos oil radiator to keep the room warm, only needs to be on low. Left the tent in there as it's only my first grow and its good conditions in my tent for temp/hum so no point messing with it this time round. Noise was more my concern and it's definitely helped there.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

AND (11-10-19), C-Rex (11-10-19), gardro (10-10-19), GEORGE (10-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Ironman is the garage OG

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

AND (11-10-19), C-Rex (11-10-19), GEORGE (10-10-19)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast