Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My first mother plant...

1. Default My first mother plant...

Hi guys! Long time no see!...

I have always grown from seed but have decided to sort that shit out and grow myself a mother plant with all my favourite strains grafted onto it... popped 5 seeds, only needed 3, all 5 germinated so I may as well do something with them!

The problem is I am not a rich man and cannot afford having a plant in a veg room all year around (Lights / fan etc.) so I want to keep it in my living room window - obviously the main point is preventing it from flowering, especially so during the short winter days.

It will never be a large mother plant, I will only need 4 or 5 cuttings from it per year.

What do you think would be the minimum strength of bulb required to ensure its flowering hormones are unable to accumulate?

EG would a 60w grow bulb be enough?

I use feminised seeds.

The plant is to have a 'weak as possible' bulb Within the plants canopy on a timer; simply filling in for the hours needed (Depending on the length of daylight).

Saving some pennies I hope, my last grow cost me A lot.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bammbulance For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (02-01-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,218 Times

Take it off the window and do it properly
    Doesn't cost much to keep a mother going.
    If you can't do this then growing isn't for you Buddy
    Sorry to sound harsh but veg lights costs fuck all to run
    if i help drop a THANKS its free

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ENGLISH_HERBSMAN For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (02-01-18), Valentina (08-01-21)

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ENGLISH_HERBSMAN View Post
    If you can't do this then growing isn't for you Buddy
    Lol, you don't sound harsh you sound like a bit of a dick, mind the way you talk to people.

I studied Plant Biology and know significantly more than you; I am simply asking people their opinion / experience in the matter.

Glad to hear money is no issue for you.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bammbulance For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (02-01-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,481 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Bammbulance View Post
    Lol, you don't sound harsh you sound like a bit of a dick, mind the way you talk to people.

I studied Plant Biology and know significantly more than you; I am simply asking people their opinion / experience in the matter.

Glad to hear money is no issue for you.
    I know fellas who have masters in botany but know very little when it comes to cultivation. It's a great accolade but not necessarily a true reflection of how one can grow. And thats not taking a shot at you at all.

I've kept a mother in Veg with 80w of flouro tubes for 3 months and size was an issue as you constantly have to chop and reduce her size.

If your plan is to take only 4 or so cuttings a year it may not be worth the hassle.
    But if o were you and wanted to preserve the genetics I'd get her in a cupboard with a CFL for 16/8 to maintain veg. Wouldnt use less that 50w. But anything more than 100w and she'll be growing too fast for your needs.

As mentioned previously - growing isnt a cheap hobbie but it does make up for it in the end

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stirl_420_SA For This Useful Post:

Bammbulance (02-01-18), GEORGE (02-01-18), Valentina (08-01-21)

9. Default

Oh I understand; just like I've met many growers who think they are masters because they have managed to grow a weed in a tightly controlled environment.

I must admit I am a bit peeved about his reply, not sure what planet a suitable reply to an innocent question is "Take it off the window and do it properly, Doesn't cost much to keep a mother going, If you can't do this then growing isn't for you Buddy".

My way or the highway? How very open minded.

I'm sure he would be in shock and awe of my previous grows - I'm still smoking the single plant a harvested over a year ago.

But thank you for at least giving me an answer

I have no need to hide my grow so it can happily sit in the window and get 8-14 good hours of natural sunlight and during the winter I'll just have a 60w bulb beside it keeping it from flowering.

I am experienced with Bonsai / Topiary techniques so am looking forward to shaping it and seeing what it turns into.

For stoners you guys sure are serious, where's the fun? The experimentation?

Can grow the stuff in my sleep; hence my pursuit of improve my efficiency.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bammbulance For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (02-01-18)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Oh I understand; just like I've met many growers who think they are masters because they have managed to grow a weed in a tightly controlled environment.

I must admit I am a bit peeved about his reply, not sure what planet a suitable reply to an innocent question is "Take it off the window and do it properly, Doesn't cost much to keep a mother going, If you can't do this then growing isn't for you Buddy".

My way or the highway? How very open minded.

I'm sure he would be in shock and awe of my previous grows - I'm still smoking the single plant a harvested over a year ago.

But thank you for at least giving me an answer

I have no need to hide my grow so it can happily sit in the window and get 8-14 good hours of natural sunlight and during the winter I'll just have a 60w bulb beside it keeping it from flowering.

I am experienced with Bonsai / Topiary techniques so am looking forward to shaping it and seeing what it turns into.

For stoners you guys sure are serious, where's the fun? The experimentation?

Can grow the stuff in my sleep; hence my pursuit of improve my efficiency.
    Hi mate,

Take a look at this thread...
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...Bonsai-Mothers
    ...it may help you in what you're looking for. I always grow from seed, so I am not much help to you.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

Bammbulance (02-01-18), GEORGE (02-01-18)

13. Default

Oh that's awesome thanks for that link! What to type into google was eluding me.

'Suspended animation' under a 45w light sounds perfect for me; didn't think of it that way!

Shall see if that helps me find some other peoples experiments

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bammbulance For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-11-20)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Oh that's awesome thanks for that link! What to type into google was eluding me.

'Suspended animation' under a 45w light sounds perfect for me; didn't think of it that way!

Shall see if that helps me find some other peoples experiments
    Bonsai is another term you could search with.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

Bammbulance (02-01-18)

17. Default

Sorry, my reply to you was not really directed at you

*takes a massive toke*....... calm... calm...

Thanks for the info, I wonder how long you could keep a mother plant alive; I intend on grafting all my favourite strains upon it and keeping it for years/decades.

The preservation of genetics has suddenly become important! The seed supplier I have always used and trusted suddenly closed down and it took me months to find a source of the medicinal weed that I've grown to love and loved to grow!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bammbulance For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-11-20)

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by The Aspie Toker View Post
    Bonsai is another term you could search with.
    *Does a quick google search: Cannabis Bonsai*....

Omg gorgeous! That is my new goal!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bammbulance For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-11-20)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast