Thread: Cheapo stealth cupboard grow

Thanks

Default Cheapo stealth cupboard grow

Hi , so after not really growing anything for a few years because we moved house and I didn't have a good space or a stealthy garden I decided to try a small space grow. This was because I was doing a job and found a discarded led growlight , a 12 w bulb which I brought home and forgot about , then a few weeks ago I saw in my local,pound shop some bottles of canna nutes, pk boost and bud boost so I thought I'd try to grow something on the cheap , I got some auto fem seeds for 6 quid each and germinated one and put it under the 12w light in my living room , I knew that would be ok for a seedling while I figured out what to do , I considered a pc case and then thought as I play guitar in a band and have loads of speaker cabs etc I should maybe use one of these and I'm still thinking about it if I can find a cheap empty one (I ain't killing my Marshall cab ) but in the end I cleared out a cupboard in our store/utility room , I took out the drawer and just stuck the front back on for more height , put some board over the mid of the cupboard as it's a double one but all the sink gubbins is in the other side , covered it with silver plastic for putting behind radiators and bought a 600w cheapo led light of eBay for £36 , now befireyou gag and say 600 w is way too much , these lights are never as powerful as they claim and all seems well so far except the temp is running too high at 85-90 . The plant is a auto critical soma at 2 weeks from seedling popping up grown in a light orchid medium with 25 % perlite , no nutes at all so far used as the medium is good for 4 weeks.
    I'm just doing 1 plant as a test but. Think I can get 2 -3 in there easily , I'm going to have to cut out the cupboard floor which will give me another 15 cm growing space and I'm going to have to also add an air intake and out take and a filter as well pretty soon and was thinking about humidity control as well , I'm pretty tight on cash so at the o I've just got a USB fan and I'm controlling humidity by soaking a tea towel every day and leaving it inside on a plate to keep humidity up at 50-60 .
    I'm thinking of masking off some of the leds until I can sort out the air intake / outtake which will hopefully get me down to 75 degrees . The cupboard is next to an outside wall so I could drill through so my outtake goes to the yard but I was thinking of trying to utilise the sink drain , the sink isn't used except for the washing machine outlet so if I went in above that I could send the air straight outside via the plastic drain pipe , do you think oh wise forum that would work ? I have to grow about 14 grams a month to keep up with my usage so I'm trying to work out a way to make that happen so I'll prob start a seedling off every month and hope to get a system in place so I get a harvest each month so investing in a good filter and have temp and humidity control is paramount. I want to spend another £100 max on a humidifier and de humidifier plus the controller which will be £55 and a 125cm filter kit which is about 40 on eBay and also a ph meter and ph leveller so I could cover it all but I was thinking I can buy the carbon granules for cooker hoods for £5 for 480 grams and I can just use a couple of plastic jars with holes drilled in to make a cheap filter , there's a vid on YouTube showing how then I'd just need a fan £7 and the ducting £5 but it seems a lot if dicking about to save £20. Any thoughts ???? Do I need all that shit for a cupboard grow or can I just wing it on the cheap , I have ordered some better medium even though this homebase orchid and cactus stuff is working well so far
    For my next seed which I'll germinate in a week and I'll start low stress training tomorrow.
    Any thoughts help, ideas or just encouragement would be great , I've never grown indoors before or grown a auto either so normally my only ever problems are the 12/12 light outside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0921.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	357616   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0922.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	357617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0923.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	357618   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0924.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	357619  

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lilticus For This Useful Post:

budfarmer (10-03-18), M_C (10-03-18), riot (11-03-18), Sticky1 (11-07-23)