Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Terpene production and RH?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 48,497 Times

Default Terpene production and RH?

Afternoon tokers😁

I've been reading up a bit about the terpene production and what the optimum environment is for maximum levels. So I've come up with the fact that a slightly lower ambient temp helps both photos and autos in the last third of the flowering phaze to produce terpenes.

Also I'm going to start giving my autos 2 to 4 hours of dark in the last 2/3weeks of it's life cycle. This also helps with the production. Imo, photos can be a bit more potent than autos, I've put that down to the 12 hours of dark giving the trichomes a real kick. As we know light deteriorates the terpenes hence the reason we dry and cure in the dark, so it must be detrimental having 24 hours of light for an auto surely? After all the days shorten in the natural world too.

The bit that is most confusing is the optimum RH%. Some people say the dryer the air the better and others the complete opposite😩.

In my mind I don't want any lower than 50%, my reason is my summer crops always stink more than my winter crops. I put this down to higher RH in flower during the summer(45% to 55%) and in the winter I can only get 20% to 30%. I know there are a lot of other factors to think about but this seems to be the main difference I've noticed.🤔

Be really interested to hear what you guys think.

Cheers

Iron

Sent from Thames Iron Works.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

AND (18-03-18), BB (18-03-18), BornToBeAgrower (18-03-18), ELMo- (18-03-18), gardro (18-03-18), GEORGE (01-04-21), ggotch (18-03-18), Ginger-bud (23-03-18), lipnobody (18-03-18), Quib (19-03-18), redisiel (18-03-18), scoot (03-04-21)

Thanks

Yesterday we had a talk with some friends about this one. Terpenes looking to reach the top at lower temperature in the nature, as the winter comes. Your job is to emulate this change the last 1-2 weeks of flowering.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BornToBeAgrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-04-21), Ironman (18-03-18), redisiel (18-03-18), scoot (03-04-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BornToBeAgrower View Post
    Yesterday we had a talk with some friends about this one. Terpenes looking to reach the top at lower temperature in the nature, as the winter comes. Your job is to emulate this change the last 1-2 weeks of flowering.
    Thanks for your reply mate, so with that theory in mind the dryer more arid air would be better too? That's the bit that's getting me lol

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

ELMo- (20-03-18), GEORGE (01-04-21), scoot (03-04-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

I’ll be back mate!!
    Blessings
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-04-21), ggotch (18-03-18), Ironman (18-03-18), scoot (03-04-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,849 Times

the terpine thing is rather random imo,as they cant be isolated/identified as such ive only got as far as this link on leafly: https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis...hey-affect-you , some interesting facts from doctors n shit there,but what it is,what it does etc is still very vague.

i know i can increase "sugar",trichomes, quite a lot by putting an led panel with uv in the grow in last couple of weeks but thats about it really,i dont do pgr's etc so dont know if that adds owt either,it certainly kills the smoko so i doubt its useful.

rh i tend to treat according to wether i want plants to drink more,or less,by manipulating their expiration through the leaves,though low rh always gives me problems leaf wise.

not much help am i,sorry

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ggotch For This Useful Post:

AND (18-03-18), GEORGE (01-04-21), Ironman (18-03-18), scoot (03-04-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 22,354 Times

i find cooler temps of around 25 last 2 weeks of flowering + 10 hours of light suits my photo`s,with autos i found them ok for daytime smoke all the ones i grew tbh i never had any WOW factors with the smoke off them,it was only when i was gifted a proper decent regular cutting that i realized what i was missing dont get me wrong they do work but i doubt i`ll do another one again give me a fem anyday as for humidity i dont measure that it is what it is,as its for ever changing day to day .

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Captain Beefheart For This Useful Post:

BB (18-03-18), British green (18-03-18), GEORGE (01-04-21), ggotch (18-03-18), Hippy Crack (18-03-18), Ironman (18-03-18), scoot (03-04-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Great thread starter iron. Getting this bit right is not just the cherry on the cake but what growing is all about. No point in having bland gange eh? Would love to know what everyone does to dial this last bit in. My first harvest has yielded an absolute reeker, an ok one and one thats just not all that smelly until you break the buds. I kept temps too high at the end from the sounds of things

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-04-21), ggotch (18-03-18), Hippy Crack (18-03-18), Ironman (18-03-18), scoot (03-04-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ggotch View Post
    the terpine thing is rather random imo,as they cant be isolated/identified as such ive only got as far as this link on leafly: https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis...hey-affect-you , some interesting facts from doctors n shit there,but what it is,what it does etc is still very vague.

i know i can increase "sugar",trichomes, quite a lot by putting an led panel with uv in the grow in last couple of weeks but thats about it really,i dont do pgr's etc so dont know if that adds owt either,it certainly kills the smoko so i doubt its useful.

rh i tend to treat according to wether i want plants to drink more,or less,by manipulating their expiration through the leaves,though low rh always gives me problems leaf wise.

not much help am i,sorry
    That's exactly what I was getting to. Generally when the science isn't there to prove either way or even prove the why's and wherefore's of what we are trying to understand, keeping it as natural and as close to the wild as possible must be the best way?
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Beefheart View Post
    i find cooler temps of around 25 last 2 weeks of flowering + 10 hours of light suits my photo`s,with autos i found them ok for daytime smoke all the ones i grew tbh i never had any WOW factors with the smoke off them,it was only when i was gifted a proper decent regular cutting that i realized what i was missing dont get me wrong they do work but i doubt i`ll do another one again give me a fem anyday as for humidity i dont measure that it is what it is,as its for ever changing day to day .
    In that case Capt, I propose to you that if you give your autos a few hours dark in that last 2 weeks of flowering as well as the drop in temp, you might get a bit more kick out of them?
    Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    Great thread starter iron. Getting this bit right is not just the cherry on the cake but what growing is all about. No point in having bland gange eh? Would love to know what everyone does to dial this last bit in. My first harvest has yielded an absolute reeker, an ok one and one thats just not all that smelly until you break the buds. I kept temps too high at the end from the sounds of things
    It's something I've been thinking about for a while now, I do see a lot of experienced growers not giving 2 fecks about humidity. There must be something in that?

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

AND (18-03-18), Captain Beefheart (18-03-18), GEORGE (01-04-21), ggotch (18-03-18), scoot (03-04-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 52,398 Times

Yer been dropping my temps to around 25.up till now it’s been as high as 30 😩.but rh as low as 15 but average about 35.still not ideal.also mine have done a full 24/0 this grow but my last ones was 20/4 tbh haven’t seen to much difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BB For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-04-21), Ironman (18-03-18), scoot (03-04-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 22,354 Times

Quote Originally Posted by ironman View Post
    That's exactly what I was getting to. Generally when the science isn't there to prove either way or even prove the why's and wherefore's of what we are trying to understand, keeping it as natural and as close to the wild as possible must be the best way?In that case Capt, I propose to you that if you give your autos a few hours dark in that last 2 weeks of flowering as well as the drop in temp, you might get a bit more kick out of them? It's something I've been thinking about for a while now, I do see a lot of experienced growers not giving 2 fecks about humidity. There must be something in that?

In that case Capt, I propose to you that if you give your autos a few hours dark in that last 2 weeks of flowering as well as the drop in temp, you might get a bit more kick out of them?

I grew all my autos on 18/6 bach start to finish id never contemplate growing any dope plant with the day length more than this as with plants and light there comes a point of diminishing returns,also in my closet im mother nature I don't think its worth the extra leccy either plants need a spell of darkness every 24 hour fir a number of reasons thats imho,with the humidity as long as it dont steam your raybans up up pn opening the door alls good

Great googly moogly...
    Last edited by Captain Beefheart; 18-03-18 at 07:20 PM.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Captain Beefheart For This Useful Post:

AND (18-03-18), GEORGE (01-04-21), ggotch (18-03-18), Ironman (18-03-18), scoot (03-04-21)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast