Thread: Cannabis Addiction and the Brain: a Review

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,779 Times

Default Cannabis Addiction and the Brain: a Review

https://link.springer.com/article/10...481-018-9782-9

Zehra, A., Burns, J., Liu, C.K. et al. J Neuroimmune Pharmacol (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11481-018-9782-9

Cannabis Addiction and the Brain: a Review

Abstract

Cannabis is the most commonly used substance of abuse in the United States after alcohol and tobacco. With a recent increase in the rates of cannabis use disorder (CUD) and a decrease in the perceived risk of cannabis use, it is imperative to assess the addictive potential of cannabis. Here we evaluate cannabis use through the neurobiological model of addiction proposed by Koob and Volkow. The model proposes that repeated substance abuse drives neurobiological changes in the brain that can be separated into three distinct stages, each of which perpetuates the cycle of addiction. Here we review previous research on the acute and long-term effects of cannabis use on the brain and behavior, and find that the three-stage framework of addiction applies to CUD in a manner similar to other drugs of abuse, albeit with some slight differences. These findings highlight the urgent need to conduct research that elucidates specific neurobiological changes associated with CUD in humans.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phineasfreek For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (05-08-20), GEORGE (11-04-18), M_C (29-03-18)

Thanks

Very informative and scholarly. Thanks for sharing!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to halacoca For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (05-08-20), GEORGE (11-04-18), Phineasfreek (29-03-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 9,003 Times

I suffer from CUD but I find self medicating with weed is helping me through it
    I’d be good for their study I’ve not had a day off it for about 20 years !

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ginger-bud For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-04-18), lipnobody (30-04-18), Phineasfreek (29-03-18)

Thanks

Great Thread Phineasfreek
    I want to share more information on Long Term Cannabis Affect on Brain

"According to the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse, individuals who smoke three or more joints per week are considered heavy users. While the occasional user rarely experiences significant long-term effects, it's different for the chronic users. Since it can take as long as two weeks for the body to eliminate all the chemicals from one joint - depending on individual body chemistry - this habitual user remains almost constantly under the influence, which could lead to serious problems."

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonathanCash For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-04-18), Ginger-bud (11-04-18), Phineasfreek (11-04-18)

Thanks

i do not believe cannabis is addictive

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to B.B. For This Useful Post:

British green (05-08-20), GEORGE (05-08-20), Jingo (05-08-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,994 Times

Depends on the definition of addictive I suppose. Anything that brings a desired effect can be addictive, from food to smack. Physical Withdrawal wont kill you like booze or heroin but I know plenty of folk that go to pieces if they cant get a smoke. Worst I've had is mild insomnia and mad dreams for a few days, miby less tolerant of folk aswell but it passes quick.

What I would say is that any drug can become a problem if you let it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scoobywho For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (05-08-20), British green (05-08-20), GEORGE (05-08-20), Jingo (05-08-20)