Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how far does the smell travel outdoors? backyard grow generally safe?

GreenBalls Guest

Default how far does the smell travel outdoors? backyard grow generally safe?

Hi,
    Hope it's not a piece-of-string question but I'm trying to figure out how smelly, and generally safe it is to stick an auto in a back garden, that is *relatively* big.

Being seen isn't really the issue. The plant wouldn't be right next to the neighbours fence or anything.

However I can't gauge in my mind how far the smell of a plant outdoor would travel.‎ Is the smell risk high enough, that it's not worth doing 1 or 2 outside plants when I already have an indoor grow?

If it's likely to be a constant bud smell in the air for over 10 meters in each direction then it's not worth it. My 100yr old neighbour died and I've got young hip neighbours now. I think I embarrassed and annoyed them by accidentally opening their mail which turned out to be pants from Ann Summers.

Any thoughts appreciated (and pls don't suggest horse shit )

Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (02-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,736 Times

A mate of mine lives on the back edge of a cricket ground in a built up area. He has always grown in his back garden, up against the cricket grounds fence, and has never had anyone mention it. 20 years+ he's been doing it and has had some cracking bud. Suppose it depends on your surrounding area and where the wind blows i.e not directly towards your neighbours house.

Checking out their panties is one thing but weed smells through their windows is another

Good luck if you decide to...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (02-04-18), Priapus (03-06-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,780 Times

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBalls View Post

If it's likely to be a constant bud smell in the air for over 10 meters in each direction then it's not worth it.
    I spy was at my house last year when I took out a plant I was growing indoors outdoors... he reckoned it stunk at the bottom of the garden, which is around 25/30 meter....!
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (02-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,434 Times

Plant or 2 isn't to bad,more than that my kids could smell it half a km away,

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 420Rancher For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (02-04-18)

GreenBalls Guest

Haha, good old differing opinions that I've learned to expect from forums! Cheers, will give it some thought. May end up doing it in a pot, so I can bring it indoors if there's any problems

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (02-04-18), M_C (01-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,434 Times

If you do decide to outdoors, look at the predominant winds when choosing a spot. I had a pilots licence and know that wind in an area blows from a certain direction and the direction.in my area 300deg is where most winds come from. Easy to verify check your local runway numbers mine are 30/12’. Just wanted to add another dimension to the answer lol

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 420Rancher For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (02-04-18), jumpman233345 (03-03-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

Talking

I can smell mine all the way down to Walmart and that is 2 miles away.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

British green (02-04-18), ggotch (02-04-18), M_C (02-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Wsg View Post
    Plant or 2 isn't to bad,more than that my kids could smell it half a km away,
    Kids do seem to be able to pick the smell up more than adults. My 2 teenage daughters are always complaining and I can't smell a thing.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

420Rancher (02-04-18), GEORGE (03-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,284 Times

To much risk for me if you have a grow on inside,what’s the point,is the op thinking the yield will be better outdoors?im guessing because they are autos he’s doing it for photoperiod reasons.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benson123 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (03-04-18), ggotch (02-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,868 Times

Reckon be coppers yual have to worry bout fur sure I knew cop once had nose fur it and he could drives down country roads and just all sudden stop and say "there marijuana growin in this here field" sure as hawks like mice he would find it growin there. Reckon like folks sayin ifin it just be a plant or two yual probably be oks, well I hopes ya is anyways

BWD

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BackWoodsDrifter For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (03-04-18)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast