Thread: how far does the smell travel outdoors? backyard grow generally safe?

Thanks

Default how far does the smell travel outdoors? backyard grow generally safe?

Hi,
    Hope it's not a piece-of-string question but I'm trying to figure out how smelly, and generally safe it is to stick an auto in a back garden, that is *relatively* big.

Being seen isn't really the issue. The plant wouldn't be right next to the neighbours fence or anything.

However I can't gauge in my mind how far the smell of a plant outdoor would travel.‎ Is the smell risk high enough, that it's not worth doing 1 or 2 outside plants when I already have an indoor grow?

If it's likely to be a constant bud smell in the air for over 10 meters in each direction then it's not worth it. My 100yr old neighbour died and I've got young hip neighbours now. I think I embarrassed and annoyed them by accidentally opening their mail which turned out to be pants from Ann Summers.

Any thoughts appreciated (and pls don't suggest horse shit )

Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

hotshot (02-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 28,173 Times in 6,049 Posts

A mate of mine lives on the back edge of a cricket ground in a built up area. He has always grown in his back garden, up against the cricket grounds fence, and has never had anyone mention it. 20 years+ he's been doing it and has had some cracking bud. Suppose it depends on your surrounding area and where the wind blows i.e not directly towards your neighbours house.

Checking out their panties is one thing but weed smells through their windows is another

Good luck if you decide to...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

GreenBalls (01-04-18), hotshot (02-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 132,666 Times in 38,931 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBalls View Post

If it's likely to be a constant bud smell in the air for over 10 meters in each direction then it's not worth it.
    I spy was at my house last year when I took out a plant I was growing indoors outdoors... he reckoned it stunk at the bottom of the garden, which is around 25/30 meter....!
    "If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear"

(Joseph Goebbels)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,510 Times in 1,224 Posts

Plant or 2 isn't to bad,more than that my kids could smell it half a km away,

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 420Rancher For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Haha, good old differing opinions that I've learned to expect from forums! Cheers, will give it some thought. May end up doing it in a pot, so I can bring it indoors if there's any problems

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

hotshot (02-04-18), M_C (01-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,510 Times in 1,224 Posts

If you do decide to outdoors, look at the predominant winds when choosing a spot. I had a pilots licence and know that wind in an area blows from a certain direction and the direction.in my area 300deg is where most winds come from. Easy to verify check your local runway numbers mine are 30/12’. Just wanted to add another dimension to the answer lol

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 420Rancher For This Useful Post:

GreenBalls (03-04-18), hotshot (02-04-18), jumpman233345 (03-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 32,940 Times in 9,106 Posts

Talking

I can smell mine all the way down to Walmart and that is 2 miles away.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hotshot For This Useful Post:

British green (02-04-18), ggotch (02-04-18), GreenBalls (03-04-18), M_C (02-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,832 Times in 1,654 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wsg View Post
    Plant or 2 isn't to bad,more than that my kids could smell it half a km away,
    Kids do seem to be able to pick the smell up more than adults. My 2 teenage daughters are always complaining and I can't smell a thing.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

420Rancher (02-04-18), GreenBalls (03-04-18), hotshot (03-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,918 Times in 1,309 Posts

To much risk for me if you have a grow on inside,what’s the point,is the op thinking the yield will be better outdoors?im guessing because they are autos he’s doing it for photoperiod reasons.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benson123 For This Useful Post:

ggotch (02-04-18), GreenBalls (03-04-18), hotshot (03-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,635 Times in 996 Posts

Reckon be coppers yual have to worry bout fur sure I knew cop once had nose fur it and he could drives down country roads and just all sudden stop and say "there marijuana growin in this here field" sure as hawks like mice he would find it growin there. Reckon like folks sayin ifin it just be a plant or two yual probably be oks, well I hopes ya is anyways

BWD

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BackWoodsDrifter For This Useful Post:

GreenBalls (03-04-18), hotshot (03-04-18)

Macky Guest

It's risky, and risky isn't what you want. The stress whilst they're growing you're gonna go through I not worth the hassle. You'll be para as fuck! If there is anyone living with 100 meteres of you, it's best to stay indoors. Even if it's legal where you are, someone will see it, and nick it

Sent from Hilary Clintons private server

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

ggotch (02-04-18), GreenBalls (03-04-18), hotshot (03-04-18), Valentina (25-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 28,173 Times in 6,049 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by toblue View Post
    Kids do seem to be able to pick the smell up more than adults. My 2 teenage daughters are always complaining and I can't smell a thing.
    Two reasons as I see it 1. Age, as with everything, kids can hear higher frequencies, so sense of smell would be similar. 2. Whether or not they smoke it. In my younger days, my two sisters could always tell i'd been smoking regardless of when/where and neither smoke. I have two sons that both smoke and one that doesnt, 2 smokers cant smell it, non smoker can. Guessing your daughters dont smoke either

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

ggotch (02-04-18), GreenBalls (03-04-18), hotshot (03-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,832 Times in 1,654 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AND View Post
    Two reasons as I see it 1. Age, as with everything, kids can hear higher frequencies, so sense of smell would be similar. 2. Whether or not they smoke it. In my younger days, my two sisters could always tell i'd been smoking regardless of when/where and neither smoke. I have two sons that both smoke and one that doesnt, 2 smokers cant smell it, non smoker can. Guessing your daughters dont smoke either
    Yes mate neither smokes that's why they give me a hard time.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GreenBalls (03-04-18), hotshot (03-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Benson123 View Post
    To much risk for me if you have a grow on inside,what’s the point,is the op thinking the yield will be better outdoors?im guessing because they are autos he’s doing it for photoperiod reasons.
    Pretty much the reasons were, 1. Just for fun/experience/experiment aspect, and 2. I figured it's literally an extra bit of space for a plant, thus an extra couple of oz or whatever.

But I think some of the comments above make sense, the risk:reward probably isn't worth it, if I'm gonna feel paranoid for months just for a couple of oz.

Though I was really enjoying the thought of popping into the sunny garden and seeing how the plant's grown in the sun and soil.Was thinking of doing an auto duck which suppos‎edly is low smell.
    Ah well!‎

28. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

hotshot (03-04-18)

Thanks

I think that smell can travel great distances very fast before it dissipates--Just consider has fast a fart goes from the front of a bus all the way to the back!--In which case, someone in the back will launch an anti-fart to retaliate.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LtlWilli For This Useful Post:

AND (03-04-18), GreenBalls (03-04-18), Valentina (12-04-18)

Thanks

Last year my pal had big Buddha cheese 4 doors up from me and I could smell it not every day but if the wind was up and blowing my way lol

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Webby06_2007 For This Useful Post:

GreenBalls (03-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LtlWilli View Post
    I think that smell can travel great distances very fast before it dissipates--Just consider has fast a fart goes from the front of a bus all the way to the back!--In which case, someone in the back will launch an anti-fart to retaliate.
    Do anti-farts exist? Cause that might be the solution I need. Are they better than Ona blocks?
    Cheers