Thread: Wanna up my game - fabric pots or air pots for tiny tent

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,218 Times

Default Wanna up my game - fabric pots or air pots for tiny tent

Tent: 0.4 x 0.4 x 1.2M
    Fan: 4 inch RVK
    Lamp: 180W Budmaster LED
    Medium: Soil-perlite-vermiculite mix
    Nutrients: Fish-blood-bone, Super-phosphate, Potash, Liquid Seaweed, "Black Magic Plant Fertiliser", mycorhizae, and various additives from Advanced Nutrients (which I will phase out once they've been used up)
    Strains: Jack Herer, Alien V Triangle; Previously: White Widow X Big Bud, Big Nugs Fast (I *HATED* their smell throughout the grow), Bubba Kush Auto (Too trippy, tiny plant), Amnesia Haze Auto (Good, but the plant was very puny, it was just a few inches tall)

Tent, fan, and lamp are gonna stay that way until anything needs replacing, and chances are the sizes will stay the same, and it will be another LED lamp.

So what we can tinker with, are the medium, nutrients, and the type of pot to hold it all together, and the strains.

Since I have a little more than one square foot to play with, I want to improve my yield within the choices I can make.

Medium and pots: I am warming to those spikey air pots. Are they really that good? How do they fare against fabric pots? What kind of coco-soil mix for this set up? I water manually, daily. I might go for Canna nutes but am open to suggestions.

I have a Jack Herer going at the moment in a 5.5 L plastic pot, and an A v T in a small pot. It's like the "back up plant". I am happy with them and thankfully they have not stretched like mad. There is a bit of LST which works fine. I need it most for appetite improvement and easing pain; if it lifts mood and relaxes, even better. And what is great so far is that Jack Herer (Seedsman) hardly stink at all in veg! So that is what I plan on growing again for my next run, unless there are other recommendations.

What would like for this year, is to have a longer flowering sativa in a smaller pot (A haze of some sort), a bigger pot for a hybrid (Most probably Jack Herer), and an Auto (possibly another go at the Chemdogging) to go in once the hybrid comes out. So the Auto shares the tent with the sativa in 12-12, but autos do their own thing so that would come out smaller, but still okay, right?

What do you guys think?
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-04-18), toblue (31-03-18)

Macky Guest

Airpots are the shit!!! Can get much more air to the roots, the base of the pot is slightly raised too, so the whole root zone can get air. In fabric pots, the base usually sits in a tray or something, so the bottom can't get air, and run off can only really exit through the sides of the pot. Air pots mate, airpots!

Sent from Hilary Clintons private server

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

AND (31-03-18), GEORGE (04-04-18), joker_the_smoker (31-03-18), toblue (31-03-18), Valentina (31-03-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Machi View Post
    Airpots are the shit!!! Can get much more air to the roots, the base of the pot is slightly raised too, so the whole root zone can get air. In fabric pots, the base usually sits in a tray or something, so the bottom can't get air, and run off can only really exit through the sides of the pot. Air pots mate, airpots!

Must disagree I'm afraid Machi mate. I have just changes from Airpots to fabric and prefer the fabric. They don't have to sit on the bottom. I am in coco though not soil so don't know how they would work out for Valentina, I think maybe airpots would be better for soil

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030433.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	358500
    Last edited by toblue; 31-03-18 at 01:50 PM.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

AND (31-03-18), carpetburn (04-04-18), GEORGE (04-04-18), Valentina (31-03-18)

Macky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by toblue View Post
    Must disagree I'm afraid Machi mate. I have just changes from Airpots to fabric and prefer the fabric. They don't have to sit on the bottom.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030433.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	358500
    Of course mate, that's why I said usually ;-)

I have had mould grow on fabric pots in the past during flower. I use them for veg, ( for now until I get smaller air pots) but flower, I ain't risking mould anywhere in my tent! Fabrics a no go for me.

Why don't you like airpots mate? Each to their own of course. I'd like to know what your issues were

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-04-18), toblue (31-03-18), Valentina (31-03-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-04-18), Phineasfreek (31-03-18), Valentina (31-03-18)

Thanks

I know most disagree with me on Airpots vs Fabric but I think the feed evaporates in airpots causing salt build up. I also did a side by side test and the roots in the fabric were better, I started a thread a while ago on the subject with photos of the side by side test.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

AND (31-03-18), GEORGE (04-04-18), Valentina (31-03-18)

Macky Guest

Default Wanna up my game - fabric pots or air pots for tiny tent

Considering there is more area for moisture to escape in airpots ( the moisture will spread around the fabric) I'd assume fabric pots would evaporate faster? Air pots are plastic, and have only holes and the top of the medium for moisture to escape, so it makes sense that fabric would evaporate water faster? Right? Science and all that shit ;-)

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-04-18), toblue (31-03-18), Valentina (31-03-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,526 Times

In soil , just normal square Wilma style pots. Airpots are a bitch to water with soil and I'm guessing the same would go for fabrics.
    In coco though airpots all day every day..
    "To live is to risk it all. Otherwise you're just an inert chunk of randomly assembled molecules drifting wherever the universe blows you."

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Farmshop For This Useful Post:

AND (31-03-18), GEORGE (04-04-18), Valentina (31-03-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Machi View Post
    Considering there is more area for moisture to escape in airpots ( the moisture will spread around the fabric) I'd assume fabric pots would evaporate faster? Air pots are plastic, and have only holes and the top of the medium for moisture to escape, so it makes sense that fabric would evaporate water faster? Right? Science and all that shit ;-)

Not sure how it works mate but I do know I had to put a lot more feed through the same size airpots than the Fabric to get run off, Wasn't a great side by side though as they were different strains.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-04-18), Valentina (31-03-18)

Macky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Farmshop View Post
    In soil , just normal square Wilma style pots. Airpots are a bitch to water with soil and I'm guessing the same would go for fabrics.
    In coco though airpots all day every day..
    I was thinking maybe it's different for soil, I'm a coco guy, so yer, airpots all day long

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-04-18), Phineasfreek (31-03-18), Valentina (31-03-18)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast