Thread: New Bees for Local Gardens

Thanks

Default New Bees for Local Gardens

Huzzah!---This morning, I sat and observed while a swarm of honeybees moved into one of my trap hives..It looked to be only about 10,000 bees, but they will have plenty of time to expand in numbers by the next Winter...i can only hope that they split from my Buckfast Abbey hive, and NOT from the very suspicious hive that we captured from the second story of a home...They were particularly aggressive then, and still NOT in good humor..These WILL chase you for at least a mile. We finally lost them while shagging away in our hatchback. There were innumerable stingers on the rubberized handguard of the saws-all that we used to get it out to the tune of many yelping dogs in the whole area....Last week, my wife just lightly bumped their hive here, and was immediately and massively attacked. I'll probably have to capture one in order to have it tested at the University of Texas. This is the only way to tell, as they look identical to common bees....Africanized bees have been reported in the next county west of us, so I feel that it is a prudent thing to do.
    I do have other traps out, and maybe I will get lucky again.--OR NOT !!!...hahaha!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LtlWilli For This Useful Post:

GMOGreen Guest

Congrats on your new residents. Hope the angry buggers aren't African for ya 😎

I'd love to keep bees but no chance in current situation

🌱 current diary

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=165966

🌱 Test lab

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=168718

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GMOGreen For This Useful Post:

LtlWilli (02-04-18)

Macky Guest

My wife will be keeping bees this year, got the frames and national hive, insurance, everything ready, just need the bees now

Sent from Hilary Clintons private server

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

LtlWilli (02-04-18)

Thanks

Thank you!...Hive starts are crushingly high over here..Cheapest I have seen are $150 for commons and $225 for more desireable types...This is why I set out traps..Just a brood box with only 5 frames and a few drops of lemongrass oil sprinkled inside on the frames to entice them does it for me. Who knows?--I might catch better genetics than I already have....Gardeners for a 3 mile radius ought to thank me---but, they won't, 'cause I'm a hippy-looking thing-just like in the late 60's and early 70's, but now my hair and full beard are gray--not red.(sigh)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LtlWilli For This Useful Post:

Macky Guest

It's expensive sure, but no where near as expensive as my hobby is ;-) she just likes bees, and wants to help them survive. She doesn't even want the honey.

But im thinking, get a nuke box, so I can take them to my crop, get them to pic up some thc couple times a week so they add it to their honey, and I'll hve it lol. We got two suppers so one for them, one for me right ;-)

Sent from Hilary Clintons private server