Thread: “Hallucinations” Following Acute Cannabis Dosing: A Case Report and Comparison to Oth

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,779 Times

Default “Hallucinations” Following Acute Cannabis Dosing: A Case Report and Comparison to Oth

“Hallucinations” Following Acute Cannabis Dosing: A Case Report and Comparison to Other Hallucinogenic Drugs

Cannabis and Cannabinoid ResearchVol. 3, No. 1

https://doi.org/10.1089/can.2017.0052

[Abstract

Introduction:*Cannabis has been historically classified as a hallucinogen. However, subjective cannabis effects do not typically include hallucinogen-like effects. Empirical reports of hallucinogen-like effects produced by cannabis in controlled settings, particularly among healthy research volunteers, are rare and have mostly occurred after administration of purified Δ-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) rather than whole plant cannabis.

Methods:*The case of a healthy 30-year-old male who experienced auditory and visual hallucinations in a controlled laboratory study after inhaling vaporized cannabis that contained 25 mg THC (case dose) is presented. Ratings on the Hallucinogen Rating Scale (HRS) following the case dose are compared with HRS ratings obtained from the participant after other doses of cannabis and with archival HRS data from laboratory studies involving acute doses of cannabis, psilocybin, dextromethorphan (DXM), and salvinorin A.

Results:*Scores on the Volition subscale of the HRS were greater for the case dose than for the maximum dose administered in any other comparison study. Scores on the Intensity and Perception subscales were greater for the case dose than for the maximum dose of cannabis, psilocybin, or salvinorin A. Scores on the Somaesthesia subscale were greater for the case dose than for the maximum dose of DXM, salvinorin A, or cannabis. Scores on the Affect and Cognition subscales for the case dose were significantly lower than for the maximum doses of psilocybin and DXM.

Conclusion:*Acute cannabis exposure in a healthy adult male resulted in self-reported hallucinations that rated high in magnitude on several subscales of the HRS. However, the hallucinatory experience in this case was qualitatively different than that typically experienced by participants receiving classic and atypical hallucinogens, suggesting that the hallucinatory effects of cannabis may have a unique pharmacological mechanism of action. This type of adverse event needs to be considered in the clinical use of cannabis.

My take…*

I thought*this was going to be interesting until I discovered that it’s a case study - so file in the*‘interesting but so what*…!’ bin. And then I read the conclusion...

In this article, we highlighted a rare but clinically significant response to acute cannabis dosing. The participant was functionally incapacitated for about 90 min and experienced strongly aversive and disorienting effects. It is unclear how frequently this type of reaction occurs in healthy adults without a family history of psychosis.*

Sounds like he had a whitey to me, haha!!*

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Phineasfreek For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,510 Times

Hahaha whitey for sure hahaha

N=1 ? I have no idea why these get published ? Absolutely no significance whatsoever.