Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wilma system or not?

Thanks

Default Wilma system or not?

Would you buy a wilma system? what else would you consider?

I was looking at a wilma as I want to be able to leave the grow for a day or two when me and the wife want a couple of days away.

Are other systems as good/better/cheaper... what you use?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Majestic For This Useful Post:

Dreger (29-04-18)

Thanks

RDWC all day long. Suppose it depends on your size and how many plants you intend on growing in that space. I’m in the process of making my own RDWC system using the rdwc build guide you can find at the top of the hydroponics forum

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to THE DARK KNIGHT For This Useful Post:

British green (10-04-18), Dreger (29-04-18), Majestic (10-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by THE DARK KNIGHT View Post
    RDWC all day long. Suppose it depends on your size and how many plants you intend on growing in that space. I’m in the process of making my own RDWC system using the rdwc build guide you can find at the top of the hydroponics forum
    I know absolutely nothing about this so will take a look thank you

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Majestic For This Useful Post:

British green (10-04-18), Dreger (29-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 9,003 Times

I Started off with a wilma and it’s a good system to learn with , easy to use cheap to buy great to learn the basics of hydroponics and will give you a harvest, I managed just under 20oz off four plants in my one on the first run. You can fill it up and leave it for a few days once you’ve set it where you want. However rdwc will have more water flowing round and more stable on ec and ph and I’d be happy ish to leave mine for a week now.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ginger-bud For This Useful Post:

Dreger (29-04-18), Majestic (11-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger-bud View Post
    I Started off with a wilma and it’s a good system to learn with , easy to use cheap to buy great to learn the basics of hydroponics and will give you a harvest, I managed just under 20oz off four plants in my one on the first run. You can fill it up and leave it for a few days once you’ve set it where you want. However rdwc will have more water flowing round and more stable on ec and ph and I’d be happy ish to leave mine for a week now.
    How long do you leave between refreshing the feed usually? I’d like to be able to stretch it to two weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to THE DARK KNIGHT For This Useful Post:

Dreger (29-04-18), Ginger-bud (12-04-18)

Guest Guest

The short answer is no and bare in mind that I have three of them lying around of varying sizes and I have no plans to stop using them.

But, if I was to start again then I wouldn’t bother with them. I’d set up a run to waste auto feeding system, which you can still do with a Wilma but it just becomes an expensive drip tray at that point. With a bit of research you could set it up for a fraction of the cost and get better results than your standard recirculating Wilma.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Dreger (29-04-18), Majestic (11-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by THE DARK KNIGHT View Post
    How long do you leave between refreshing the feed usually? I’d like to be able to stretch it to two weeks
    About a week in between res changes usually. Never left it for two weeks. You’ll
    Need a large sized one to hold enough water to keep them going till you can change it and a lot can happen in two weeks if your not giving them some attention.
    I like my wilma but I like my alien even more

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ginger-bud For This Useful Post:

Dreger (29-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger-bud View Post
    About a week in between res changes usually. Never left it for two weeks. You’ll
    Need a large sized one to hold enough water to keep them going till you can change it and a lot can happen in two weeks if your not giving them some attention.
    I like my wilma but I like my alien even more
    Tank size isn’t a problem. I’d still be attentive, adjust EC and ph as necessary, if just like to save some water and nutrients if I can. Over the course of a year if I only grew for 40 out of 52 I’d make a saving of upto £1800 on water alone. Not to forget the nutrients, which would work out approximately £1500 saving. £3300 potential saving a year is a big saving. This is top line but still it’d be at least £2k all in. Also having to do res changes half as much and doing my but for the world and being a bit more “green” is appealing

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to THE DARK KNIGHT For This Useful Post:

Dreger (29-04-18), Ginger-bud (12-04-18)

Thanks

Sorry for hikacking your thread mate......I’ll start a seoreate thread for this.

As you were

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to THE DARK KNIGHT For This Useful Post:

Dreger (29-04-18), Ginger-bud (12-04-18), Majestic (12-04-18)

Thanks

Ah I see what you mean now dark knight I thought u meant leave them for two weeks. Luckily I’m not on a water meter yet so havnt considered the water cost. I’m not looking forward to water meter as I grow all in water and I’ve got a stinking teenager who spends to long in the shower lol

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ginger-bud For This Useful Post:

Dreger (29-04-18), tom222 (12-04-18)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast