Thread: The importance of res changes

Thanks

Default The importance of res changes

So I’vr been thinking about the necessity of regularly changing reservoirs in RDWC.

its generally recommended to change it once a week. What I want to know is what is the maximum?

Why is 1 week ideal?

Now Oe I know you can’t leave it too long because the plant will create in an inbalced resevoir by taking some elements over others.

But asling as the roots and water alter is clean and healthy surely by monitoring and adjusting the EC and ph and topping up the water levels when necessary we could stretch this to 2 or 3 weeks?

Anyone got got any thoughts on this? Scientific knowledge? Factual eveidece? Side by side grows? Previous problematic experiences by leaving it too long tonreesnish the feed (as long as EC, ph, temps, health and cleanliness is monitored and adjusted)???

if I could cut down the res changes I would save thousands every year in water and nutrients and the time saved could be better spent Doug something else in the grow room.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to THE DARK KNIGHT For This Useful Post:

Dreger (29-04-18), Farmshop (12-04-18), GEORGE (25-09-18), redisiel (14-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,526 Times

I haven't got factual evidence but my mate who grows in nft never full empties the res, just tops up once a week or when needed and grows some lovely smoke .
    I always changed once a week, fully emptied and made a fresh solution up. The plant is growing every hour/day/week so the nutes that are needed need to be changed as the plant changes and grows.
    I haven't grown in rdwc so it maybe different ✌
    "To live is to risk it all. Otherwise you're just an inert chunk of randomly assembled molecules drifting wherever the universe blows you."

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Farmshop For This Useful Post:

Dreger (29-04-18), GEORGE (25-09-18), redisiel (14-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,700 Times

I leave mine a fortnight at least for the 1st change, as they aren't using up much, then 10-14 days for the rest of the changes, depending on how much they are feeding.
    This was on a big system tho, and the capacity of the entire system comes into play when deciding when to change the res out.
    If I had a 2 pot system with say, 120 litres total in it, I would change it weekly, if I had a 4 potter with 280litres, I would leave it longer, like 10-14 days
    I tried once to just top up during bloom, without changing it out completely, but by week 6 true flower, about 8 weeks from flip, they looked like shit on a stick, and it was too late to bring them back. I knew it would, but was too busy getting fucked up every night to bother. the problem is that the plants might be using up all of one type of micro or macro nutrient, but leaving others which for example may be rich in potassium, and if left the potassium will build up and build up, causing lock outs or deficiencies.
    its not worth it, for all the time invested in getting nice bud, for the sake of an hour to change it out.
    I got bud out of them, but most of the leaves looked really grim, dried up rusty coloured frazzlers they were. Ive not done it since

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigbadbillybob For This Useful Post:

Dreger (29-04-18), GEORGE (25-09-18), redisiel (14-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,780 Times

Often these figures are to do with optimal growing rather than ease of growing...

If you look at growing in coco then watering several times a day (usually an auto feeder) is recommended - but once a day is classed as optimal to most people due to convenience... that said, other people will water every other day & there is no issue for them...

So, I think the figure you have of, 7 days, is just what the majority have found to work best for them
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-09-18), redisiel (14-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 19,812 Times

I never change the res unless problems occur.

I have a 220 litre res.
    I let it run really low until there is not enough water in the system and the pump starts chugging(usually at about 30 litre)

Then I top it right back up bring it to the right ec/ph,rinse and repeat.

I waste no nutrients at all and very rarely have to adjust ph.

I use a flood and drain system.Perfect for the lazy grower.

I'm not suggesting anyone to do this as regular res changes are good practice,although sometimes can do more harm then good to the novice grower.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bethmeg For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-09-18), redisiel (14-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

I might change my res once or twice in veg depending if I can be arsed because If I do I have to reinoculate with microbes but I haven’t been as brave as to do it in flower and I’m only about to attempt it for the first time without checking/adjusting the ph so now I’m thinking about the weekly changes in flower too,
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (16-04-18), GEORGE (25-09-18)

Thanks

At least every 2 weeks prevents salt and algae build up

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kezgwarn For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-09-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,434 Times

I am to lazy on res changes, I used 20L pails for the grow and an added one for control . My 3 plant system holds about 70l and I typically go a month at a time. I am not creating a masterpiece but growing some weed.

I added a 40l tub with water to top up while I was away on a vacation for over 25 days. Done well till the person topping up the system weekly let it get to low,
    My plants did suffer heat stress but with monthly changes since then the stress, the 2 on the left are mephisto mystery strains so unsure of finish times

Early on in growth in finishing system the capacity will not require frequent changes, as the plants mature more regular changes will assist in getting a healthier plant.
    I find that different stages of growth require there own strength and blend. When I feel the soup should be changed it is based on needing a different mix more than what the suppliers recommend.

I will plumb my top up system so it doesn't require a person to top up the system for the next grow. I just prefer to treat my water with h2o2 prior to adding I to my system.

Home built rdwc, root farms 2 part feed!
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...p%3Ft%3D171166

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 420Rancher For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-09-18), macaw (31-08-19)