Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Res change

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 28,825 Times

Default Res change

Hi chaps.

I've been manually changing my Wilma res every week but it's been back-breaking work. Removing all 7 plants, removing lid, pumping out the res, wiping it all down, refilling it, putting plants back etc. etc.

Is this all necessary? Is there a simpler way of doing it? Could I just pump out as much as I can and then refill without removing everything and cleaning etc?

I spent a good 5-6 hours yesterday setting up a new tent and doing all of the above too but surely it shouldn't be this much slog?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Macky Guest

Wilma is a pain in the arse even by looking at it!! You dont need a massive res mate, do the same thing, but smaller res. 2 x 20l buckets, stick the pump in one, and change it daily. Much easier! Just half hour, mix up the feed, change over the bucket, pour the run off down the drain, jobs a gooden! Fuck that change 150l res every week lol.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

gardro (10-06-18), WhIpLaSh (29-04-18)

Thanks

Yeah I've thought of that but I can barely spare the time each day to refill the humidifier and check the ph and ec twice a day. I prefer the once a week scenario but there must be an easier way...

Where is Sam from the Shire when you need him? 😭

Sent from Noah's Ark

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

Now that is back breaking, mad in fact lol
    I have changed mine twice in 8 weeks and I can assure you you won’t be able to lift the lid when the roots go through to the bottom.

When I do a res change I’ll empty it the best I can with the same pump for the drippers and then because it’s raised about a 1” at the back I’ve got a little submersible pump that gets near enough all the rest then my usual fuck it that’ll do attitude takes over.
    I went into flower about 12 days ago so I’ll treat them to a red change tonight because there showing preflowers.
    I’ll run it for about 12 hours with plain water to wash it through then I’ll change it again and use flower nutrients ready for flower but I will do a change weekly in flower the way i explained above
    This is why I think it’s best to use less of all these stupid fucking additives.
    Stay blessed,
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

420Rancher (29-04-18), Farmshop (29-04-18), WhIpLaSh (29-04-18)

Thanks

Cheers red, that sounds much more manageable. I reckon I'll try that. My back is thanking me already lol

Sent from Noah's Ark

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WhIpLaSh For This Useful Post:

redisiel (29-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 9,003 Times

Same as reds I just take off the pump that came with the wilma and attatch a length of hosepipe and either straight down the drain or in to buckets. Can angle the pump to get it down to about 1cm deep then just re fill by using same pump and hose to pump it from my buckets in to the res. Can re fill with water and pump it out a few times of you want to try and get most of the old nutes out and what’s left will be really diluted and barely worth worrying about. I only clean it fully between grows. Same with the alien I’m using now.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ginger-bud For This Useful Post:

British green (21-11-18), euglan (24-01-21), WhIpLaSh (06-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger-bud View Post
    Same as reds I just take off the pump that came with the wilma and attatch a length of hosepipe and either straight down the drain or in to buckets. Can angle the pump to get it down to about 1cm deep then just re fill by using same pump and hose to pump it from my buckets in to the res. Can re fill with water and pump it out a few times of you want to try and get most of the old nutes out and what’s left will be really diluted and barely worth worrying about. I only clean it fully between grows. Same with the alien I’m using now.
    Cheers, Ginge. I should have it sorted now. I'll let you know because today is res change day! lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WhIpLaSh For This Useful Post:

Ginger-bud (07-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n00b_gr0wer View Post
    Hi chaps.

I've been manually changing my Wilma res every week but it's been back-breaking work. Removing all 7 plants, removing lid, pumping out the res, wiping it all down, refilling it, putting plants back etc. etc.

Is this all necessary? Is there a simpler way of doing it? Could I just pump out as much as I can and then refill without removing everything and cleaning etc?

I spent a good 5-6 hours yesterday setting up a new tent and doing all of the above too but surely it shouldn't be this much slog?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I've fitted a tee peice just after the pump with shut off valves one to the feed lines one to a piece of pipe with a garden hose quick connector click a hose in shut the feed valve open the other then pump out solution till I hear the pump gurgle (back of Wilma is raised on strip of wood slightly ) only leaves a tiny bit in there then I switch the hose over to the sink tap with one of those yellow hozelock screw top connectors and fill the Wilma I have 2 of the xxl big 9's joined together I fill to 170 litres Gardena inline hose meter is the bollacks for this best £20 I've spent no more fucking about with the sloshing black bucket walk of shame takes about 30mins tops inc chucking the feed in

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickylove For This Useful Post:

WhIpLaSh (06-06-18)

Thanks

i just use the same pump to empty the res. when you get down to the last cm add another bucket of fresh water and repeat. that way at least the water left at the bottom is as close to fresh as possible.

keep the res topped up with water in-between feeds so that the solution doesn't get too concentrated. I only change the res a couple of times a grow but ive gone a full grow without ever changing it and still got awesome results!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to The Trim Reaper For This Useful Post:

WhIpLaSh (09-06-18)

Thanks

Cheers for all the input, lads.

What I'm doing now is using the pump to extract as much as possible into 25L buckets (the Wilma is raised slightly at the back) and that leaves only a couple of litres which the pump can't get to so I suck that up with a wet/dry vacuum cleaner. Job done!

I only did a full res change and clean again once I changed to flowering nutes.

Much easier!

Peace.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast