Thread: Fully Working Fridge Grow DWC LED

Thanks

Default Fully Working Fridge Grow DWC LED

Hello growers. First time posting here.

I live in Brazil and it's almost year-round summer.
    Always had problems with temperature when growing in a closet and HPS with the internal closet temperature during the summer time hitting almost 45 degrees celsius or more!

So this time I'm trying to grow in a Fully Working Fridge to keep the temperature down.
    I brew beer as well so this fridge has a temperature controller and it keeps on 20-23 degrees celsius.

Using a 500w equivalent LED Panel, but I'll add some CFLs as well.

For the air flow and exchange, the idea is to use a Carbon Scubber to constantly filter the internal air, a CO2 generator DIY style with two plastic bottles, using yeast (not ready yet) and a air humidifier.
    The carbon filter will also reduce the odor and the fridge door is well sealed.

I guess it's like a big sealed grow room with air conditioner, but smaller.

I've been growing for quite some time but had a 5 year gap not growing at all.
    It's my 5th grow and first time trying DWC/Hydroponics.
    A 20 Liter container, with a bubbler injecting external air, plant on a netpot with rockwool and hydroton grow rocks.
    Test is working good so far, water on 22 degrees, pH 5.5 with General Hydroponics base nutrients.
    No top dripping.

Still waiting for my GreenHouse Seed Co's seeds to arrive, so I'm testing the setup with a unknown strain seed that I had. Probably a sativa landrace.

I'm excited with this new setup and I think it's going to work well.

The humidifier has a manual control in it, I've discovered a position that's just right for my setup and it works fine. I cannot get high humidity levels because it starts to condense water inside the fridge.
    But I can get as high as 70% humidity level without any problem. That's fine for me during the seedling time.

Everything is going great, nice water temp, nice air temp, growing fast and happy.

I've faced a Acid Rain Effect the other day in my reservoir. The pH reading went crazy!
    Turned out my air pump was pumping too much air and as I live nearby a busy road, the CO2 levels must be high around here, it was pumping some CO2 into the water and maybe causing this effect.
    Lowering the pump power and changing the reservoir water has turned out fine with ph stable at 5.5 now.

Unknown strain, probably a brazilian landrace sativa.
    Ambient Temperature: 25-27 Celsius with the lights on / 20-21 Celsius with the lights off
    Reservoir Water Temperature: 19-21 Celsius (using tap filtered water, EC with no nutes at 0.1)
    Humidity Level: 50-75%
    pH: 5.8-6.0
    EC: 1.0
    Lights: 18h/6h

Seed has sprouted on May 5th, on soil and then transferred to rockwool after 5 or 6 days.
    It's been 14 days since the transfer to hydro.
    It took some time to recover growth after the transfer stress.
    Now it's a fast growth rate and good root system development but with the leaves are showing some problems.

I'm using 1/3 of the nutes' strength, hitting 0.6 EC.
    On May 15th, the first pair of real leaves shown some brown spots. Looked like Cal-Mag deficiency, added some CalMag rich nutrient to correct. EC hit 0.8.
    Had some issues with pH fluctuations, trying to keep it on a 5.8-6.0 range on a daily basis left the res with high EC level for a young plant, aprox 1.0 EC.
    The second pair of leaves also shown some problems, with brown spots and then it dried out real quick.
    The root system is looking good, the newest leaves are looking better than the old ones but also showing some deficiency.
    It has nute burn on the tips and a light-green color all over. Don't know what deficiency is, maybe still the CalMag def. or could be iron, sulfur or nitrogen def too.

I'm considering a second water change (the first one happened after the Acid Rain issue) to keep things nice and clear. With new nutes, adding CalMag, root stimulator and the General Hydroponics base (gro, micro, bloom), keeping EC at 0.8 maximum and pH at 5.8.
    Some landrace sativas have a really light green color, could this be the case?

Any tips on what this deficiency could be?

Any advices on my grow fridge setup?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-MAY.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	360847   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-MAY-a.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	360848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-MAY-c.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	360849   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-MAY-d.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	360850   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14-may.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	360851  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to soronata For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-04-20)

Thanks

More pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17-may.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	360852   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18-may.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	360853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21-may.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	360854   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24-may.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	360855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26-may.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	360856  

4. The Following User Says Thank You to soronata For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-04-20)

Thanks

Thumbs up

Hi there, nice project!

I have so many questions:
    1. How much did the fridge approximately cost?
    2. What brand and model is it?
    3. How does your fridge handle ice buildup on the refrigeration coils?
    4. Does it do de-frosting cycles by any chance?
    5. Does it keep up with the heat amount you output through the lamps and other systems?
    6. Do the plants stay warmer or cooler than the water res?
    7. By how many celsius degrees?

Anyway, I wish you the best crop ever and hope to see more pics and if you ever make a grow diary please forward the link to me, I'd love to know how this story goes on...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hagvirkr For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-04-20)

Thanks

Oh, shit, I just realized that I posted to a 2018 thread like it was yesterday... I'm so dumb...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hagvirkr For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-04-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,460 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Hagvirkr View Post
    Oh, shit, I just realized that I posted to a 2018 thread like it was yesterday... I'm so dumb...
    It is yesterday for some of us. lol