Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Going on holiday for 2 weeks. How will I water 4 week old plant?

Thanks

Default Going on holiday for 2 weeks. How will I water 4 week old plant?

Hi All. I’m sure this may be a common question but I’m a bit worried as I’ve planted a £20 seed, which has sprouted and is around 2 inches tall. But I go on holiday later next month for 2 weeks and I don’t know how I’ll water it. I’ve seen a few articles on watering general house plants whilst away on holiday. Has anyone had experience in watering plants when away on a trip or holiday? I looked at water globes (in glass, not plastic) but may have to wrap it in foil to to deter light. M I like the string idea; place a wet string in a bucket of water and the other end on the soil but this will be my first time. Is a combintion of many things best?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to e11 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-18), Greengrass (28-05-18), MonsterEnergy (28-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 22,354 Times

i usually pay my son or daughter to wet mine i leave instructions for the amount feed / water as to the size on the plants........my daughter hates it,my son dont give 2 fuks he enjoys it. good luck

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Captain Beefheart For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-18), MonsterEnergy (28-05-18)

Macky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by e11 View Post
    Hi All. I’m sure this may be a common question but I’m a bit worried as I’ve planted a £20 seed, which has sprouted and is around 2 inches tall. But I go on holiday later next month for 2 weeks and I don’t know how I’ll water it. I’ve seen a few articles on watering general house plants whilst away on holiday. Has anyone had experience in watering plants when away on a trip or holiday? I looked at water globes (in glass, not plastic) but may have to wrap it in foil to to deter light. M I like the string idea; place a wet string in a bucket of water and the other end on the soil but this will be my first time. Is a combintion of many things best?
    did you not consider the holiday when you popped the seeds? lol.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

AND (28-05-18), GEORGE (28-05-18), Medicalweed (31-05-18), millwall115 (28-05-18), MonsterEnergy (28-05-18)

Bejeweled 2 Action Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 18,392 Times

you can make your own dripper system, but you will need a water tank with a pump, also an air pump to keep the water oxygenated
    rubber tubing, dripped nozzles and a digital timer,

just set it for a few mins every day, and they get watered,

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,736 Times

Was just about to ask same thing

String wick and upended bottle drip will last 3-4 days max, 2 weeks is a long time for cheap fix. You can buy automatic feeding systems cheapish, Feebay 253636808342

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-18)

Thanks

I knew the holiday was approaching but it was one of those situations of optimistically wanting to replenish a very low stock. As I was planting I knew I’d be in this situation. I’ll have a look at the automatic systems though. I would like to ask a family member to help, but too conservative-like to agree Imo. The glass globes claim to water up to 2 weeks but I don’t want to risk in case the “up to” 2 weeks is there merely to protect damage on some plants that may only be good for 5 days. I’ve seen plastic bottles used too, but some claiming the light and plastic together aren’t good to go into the soil for plants you’ll eat, inhale etc

12. The Following User Says Thank You to e11 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,042 Times

Me personally I would either get a mate to water it or just take the hit and kill it.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cont3 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-18)

Thanks

Blumats? Cheap and effective.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Orderly For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,471 Times

Unhappy

Go to the store, and get you one of those Glass Bubbles with a long tube on it, and fill it with water, and stick it down into your pot. Should be plenty until you get home.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I’ve seen a micro automated watering system for £35 so will probably go for that as can time it to water every 3 days if need be. The blumats look interesting. Worth looking into it a bit more

20. The Following User Says Thank You to e11 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (29-05-18)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast