Thread: 3rd grow but first from seed, need help please!

Thanks

Default 3rd grow but first from seed, need help please!

Hey everyone

As the title says this is my 3rd grow, 1st grow some of you guys helped me overcome some big noob issues that I caused myself lol. 2nd grow I did mostly by my self after more research and did pretty well with about 20oz from 4 amnesia haze which I thought wasn't bad as 2 of them developed powdery mildew early on and struggled to keep up with the other 2 pretty much the entire grow. Just thought I'd add that so you can see I'm not a complete noob lol

Obviously still making mistakes tho!

So having a crack at a 3rd grow but this time from seed as I believe the clones came already infected with the mildew on my last grow.

The issue this time was I've managed to get 3 blue cheese and 1 peyote kush to about 6 inch tall, I did a little research as to when they'd be ready to come out of propagation and to me they looked ready so I took the lid off the propagator and came back a couple of hour later to check them, lucky I did because the bigger leaves had curled and gone crispy, I'm so glad I didn't do this and then go to work or it probably would have killed them, anyway I quickly filled the reservoir with water, turned the propagator back on and they seem to have recovered apart from some brown on the leaves where they had dried up.

My thoughts on why this happened is without the propagator the air was far to dry for them? also we are having a spell of hot weather here and it way have been to hot but I'm not sure because its probably hotter in the heated propagator with very little airflow?

I'm growing these under a 600w duel spec HPS ( I know this is overkill ) but I've also got dimmer ballast so I'm running the light at 400w through a cool tube about 2 feet above the propagator, I can feel the heat from the light at the level of the tops of the girls but it's just warm really not hot. I've got 3 small fans circulating air around the tent and I actually had one blowing between the light and top of the propagator. This is a loft grow so temps are pretty hot up there but Ive been trying to draw cool air in from outside using ducting hoping the neg pressure pulling through the filter and fan would enough. at the time of having this issue I think the temp in the tent was around 25c.

I'm going to introduce an inlet fan in the next day or 2 to try cool it down further but I think my real problem is going to be keeping the humidity up without the propagator.

Any advice on getting them past this delicate stage would be greatly appreciated? I think another few days and they will have probably out grown the propagator also so unfortunately the clock is ticking

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigJam For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (29-05-18), Greengrass (02-06-18), MonsterEnergy (30-05-18)

Thanks

Mate

The key is moist air until the roots have formed, if you have condensing water on the walls of the propergator then you're good to good. Also you want to heat the base I use a purpose built one that heats to just the right level.

You'll need to mist them to as you go and when the bottom leafs start to eat themselves you know it's growing roots. When you start to see signs of life then open the vents a little to harden them off and you'll be good to go

There's loads of help on this forum get your head down and do a little reading it's all here for you

Happy growing

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WWBB For This Useful Post:

BigJam (30-05-18), GEORGE (30-05-18), MonsterEnergy (30-05-18)

Thanks

Cheers m8.

Yeah while they're in the propagator they are happy, the walls are covered on condensation, it's one like you say with the heated bottom.

what you said about transitioning them from the propagator by hardening them is probably the info I was looking for. I'll take some pics later if I can and show you how old they are in size terms

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigJam For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (30-05-18), MonsterEnergy (30-05-18)

Thanks

Here's a photo of them. You can see the dead leaves and some of the tips from then curling up when I took the propagation lid off. I forgot to mention that I started these in peat pellets and moved them to pots because roots were starting to pop out of the sides of the pellets so obviously there will be decent root systems on then now. I thought maybe I should transplant them again into maybe twice the size lager pots to help with moisture from more wet soil in the pots and stand them in trays of water when I next take them out of propagation?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigJam For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (30-05-18), Greengrass (02-06-18), MonsterEnergy (30-05-18)

Bejeweled 2 Action Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 18,391 Times

a tray full of stagnant water is never a good idea,
    just use bigger pots and don't let them sit in too much runoff, it can rot the roots if it's sitting to long

roots need oxygen also, repot is a much better choice

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

BigJam (30-05-18), GEORGE (30-05-18), Greengrass (02-06-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterEnergy View Post
    a tray full of stagnant water is never a good idea,
    just use bigger pots and don't let them sit in too much runoff, it can rot the roots if it's sitting to long

roots need oxygen also, repot is a much better choice
    Cheers m8.

I will repot them then in the next day or 2 then.

The water you see in the tray on the pic is fresh every day and the pots aren't actually in it, they're sitting on the raised up part of the tray. I was putting distilled water in the bottom of the heated tray every day to keep the humidity up in the propagator. Thanks for the help though, much appreciated!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigJam For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (30-05-18), Greengrass (02-06-18)

Thanks

A little update just in case anyone was interested and also in case in other noobs encounter the same problem as me.

I carried on growing them in propagation and when I could I took the lid off and left then for an hour 2 then when I couldn't be around to keep an eye on them I replaced the lid, hoping this gradual approach would toughen them up a little then in the last day or 2 the 2 biggest reached the lid of the propagator so last night I decided to bite the bullet and re-potted them in double the size of pots they were already in.
    So last night they had a full night out of propagation.
    I got up this morning expecting the worst, thinking they'd look like a weed that had a dose of killer the day before but they were just sat happily nodding in the slight breeze lol

They now have enough new growth to make the crispy leaves a thing of the past!

Cheers guys 😁

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigJam For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (02-06-18), Greengrass (02-06-18), WhIpLaSh (02-06-18)