Thread: How much should I let PH Rise

Thanks

Default How much should I let PH Rise

Hey guys, long time since I have been on here, but wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me. Links to any good reads would be much appreciated as-well. I am going to have my first crack at NFT.

Ok, lets say I mix up my solution 1.2 EC - PH 5.8 , and everything goes as it should as in EC steadily drops whilst PH increases.

1) How much should allow PH to rise to before reducing it back down to 5.8?

2) At what point should I increase EC after observing that the plants are happily feeding?

3) Of-course when decreasing EC naturally the PH of the water will change. I presume if it goes outside of that 5.8 - 6.5 range then I should decrease it straight away, but what if it stays within that range?

Thanks in advanced

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spooky For This Useful Post:

Ginger-bud (30-05-18), Orderly (30-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 28,825 Times

5.5 up to 6.1 is the sweet spot swing. That will make the most nutrients available. Check the pic...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhIpLaSh For This Useful Post:

Ginger-bud (30-05-18), Orderly (30-05-18), spooky (29-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n00b_gr0wer View Post
    5.5 up to 6.1 is the sweet spot swing. That will make the most nutrients available. Check the pic...
    Thanks for the reply

What are the dangers of a swing so broad , or consistently having an unstable PH. I know in soil feeding different PH's has a negative impact on the plant. Is this the same for Hydro?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to spooky For This Useful Post:

Ginger-bud (30-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 28,825 Times

No dangers, it's encouraged in hydro as the swing makes more nutrients, more available. Also, it's not that wide of a range tbh.

I also tend to let my EC drop by 2 before I top up the feed.

If your ph remains stable while your plant is feeding or drinking, don't touch. Just let it rise over time.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhIpLaSh For This Useful Post:

Ginger-bud (30-05-18), spooky (29-05-18)

Thanks

Thanks for the clarification.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spooky For This Useful Post:

Ginger-bud (30-05-18), WhIpLaSh (29-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times

With soil, people have the opportunity to grow organically, hydro gives no such pleasure

That said, I'm hardly a tree hugging, Save The Whales, Hippy sort of person but I do really appreciate the extra 'Oomph' of organic taste & high - all that said, I tend to grow in coco

...and I'm waffling again...

Hydro, you have to control the PH, organic? Your micro heard & medium will sort that bit all out for you - a lower harvest but tastier
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

British green (30-05-18), Ginger-bud (30-05-18), redisiel (29-05-18), spooky (30-05-18), WhIpLaSh (29-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

You want your ph swinging between 5.6 and 6.2 mate I only normally raise the ec when the plants look hungry or the ec drops over night or something showing me there hungry too
    Atb
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

British green (30-05-18), Ginger-bud (30-05-18), WhIpLaSh (29-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redisiel View Post
    You want your ph swinging between 5.6 and 6.2 mate I only normally raise the ec when the plants look hungry or the ec drops over night or something showing me there hungry too
    Atb
    Redz
    Ahh I see, forgive my ignorance, what are those hunger signs ? is it that slight yellowing of the fan leaves?

Thanks

Excellent question I was wondering myself.

On hydro you can read perfectly how much nutrients the plants absorbs out of the water.
    At the rate your EC drops down is how you read how hungry they are. Reading a plant on hydro is way different than on soil. On soil it is a shitty job measuring how much nutrients the plants takes out of the water. On hydro it’s just one dip of the EC meter.
    That’s why on soil most breeders read the plant by looking at its leaf, on hydro you can prevent yellowing out leafs by adjusting in time.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Orderly For This Useful Post:

spooky (30-05-18)

Thanks

I always mix my nutes on the acid side, around 5.4-5.6, I find that in the first 6 to 12hrs of a complete nute change the ph will rise by at least .2 due to residual levels in the system and then will continue to rise over the next few days. When it reaches 6.4 after 5 to 7 days I empty out and renew again(under stable conditions of course). I beleive this gives them a wide range to utilise the whole spectrum of nutes in the tank. I do not like to keep adding acid to the tank as I have found that the more you add the more amplified it becomes when it contacts a previous dosage ie: if you add say 0.5ml ph down to 20ltrs of nutes you can drop from 6.4 to 5.8, perfect! However if your reading 24hrs later is 6.2 and you add a further .5ml ph down you could see your ph drop as low as 4.8 or worse...ouch! So if you MUST add more acid do it in increments half as much as the previous dosage to the same batch. At least this is how I have found it relative to my conditions.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Doof For This Useful Post:

WhIpLaSh (01-08-18)