Thread: Diy led grow light ( not cobs)

Thanks

Default Diy led grow light ( not cobs)

When choosing to do a diy led grow light their are many factors to take into account.
    1w 3w or 5w led
    Full spectrum ?
    Uv and ir diodes?
    Active or passive heat sink?
    Pcb board or star mounted?
    I've been doing extensive research over the past 8months on how to create a top quality light.
    Being an engineer by trade quality is everything and it rubbed of on me..
    So I designed my own custom pcb board sent it of to a manufacturer and they are making me 3 pcb boards just to start of.
    All three panels will be joined together.

Pcb/leds:
    This will consist of 2 pcb boards 1 either side with osram ssl 80 horticulture led highpowered. (Same ones bud master use in the god series)
    The middle pcb will have Cree xt-e & xp-e 5w leds.

Spectrum:
    I will be using full spectrum from uv 410nm- 730+
    ir nm
    when using osram or Cree diodes these need to be reflow soldered to the pcb/ star mount.which is different to soldering normally.
    You can reflow solder in the frying pan diy. But I chose to buy a reflow oven just for quality purpose.

Heatsink:
    I've decided to go active Heatsink which has fans on top on the heatsink.
    I will be also sending of the heatsink to get anodized which seals the aluminum and will help keep the heatsink cooler.

Anodizing is an electrochemical process that converts the metal surface into a decorative, durable, corrosion-resistant, anodic oxide finish.

Outer casing
    Ive also got designs for cases which I will be getting lazer cut out then fabricate all the bends myself to make a box shape using a sheet metal bender then tap threads into the sides so it all finds together nicely like a professional look because will be looking at manufacturing led horticultural lights as I see a gap in the market and also had to sell my 400bhp monster turbo engine I was building.so all my efforts going into this...
    Prototypes :
    I've reflow soldered star mounted pcb with oaram and cree diodes so I can do prototypes over the next month....
    Watch this space.........

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Youngspenc For This Useful Post:

British green (16-06-18), gardro (16-06-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Keep us informed on ya build of light and let’s see some pictures . Good luck 🇬🇧

Sent from a green and pleasant land

4. The Following User Says Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

gardro (16-06-18)