Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DIY Pesticides

Macky Guest

Default DIY Pesticides

Killing, the friendly way

Bugs, natures scavenger smoker! I have heard of infestations so bad, people have come to their crop to find fully grown aphids in the middle of rolling a fat one off the fresh plant! This always needs to be nipped int the bud.... ( no pun intended) straight away, and preferably in veg, as you don't want anything but resin and THC in your buds! A major problem I, and a lot of other growers find, is most pesticides are made for fruits, and veg, that are to be eaten, and though it's claimed they are "safe" you can never really be sure what is going into these chemical based pesticides. Considering most of us are going to smoke our buds, we have no idea what effect it is going to have on us, as these pesticides say they're safe for food, not smoke, so they are to be avoided and must only be used as a last resort.

There are many ways off getting rid, and keeping rid, of bugs before you have to use poisons that can be harmful to you, your plants, and the environment. Here are a few recipes that can be used instead of the chemical based products, they are organic, and natural, and easy to make yourself, at home. I really encourage using these as treatment before going down the chemical route. Bugs are stronger now then ever before! Darwins fault for discovering evolution lol, so sometimes you may have to go the chemical route, because bugs are becoming resistant to all these kinds of remedies, and chemical based remedies too. So along with any treatment, you want to clean your grow space and pots and equipment before starting a treatment, and when a treatment is over. Make sure any intake is not pulling from directly outside, and if it is, make sure it has some kind of cover over it to prevent bugs get sucked in, stockings or nylon tights work great for that. And, of course, always, always, shower and wear clean clothes before doing any plant work, especially if you've been out doors. Prevention is better than cure!

Capsaicin/ Pepper Spray

Now this is the spicy shit in food, curries are spicy because of capsaicin, we can handle it to some extend, and enjoy spicy food..... on the way in, but bugs don't like living with it in their eyes, and face, so it is a good pesticides to kill off most bugs. You can use pretty much any peppers you like, the spicier the better, see what is available in the local super market. Don't handle this stuff and then touch your face at all, especially your eyes, you'll be crying for hours. It might be an organic pesticide, but it should still be treated with caution.

Along with the spice of the capsaicin from the peppers you've chosen to kill them, you want to make sure they don't like the smell of the place, using onion or garlic in this mix is going to help the bugs move out. They wont want to live with that stink... but maybe you wont either.

Recipe:

250g Chosen peppers
    250g Onion or Garlic
    1l of warm water

If you have a blender that would be great, if not, just chop the peppers and onion/ garlic as fine as you can an put them in a jar big enough to hold the one litre of warm water.

Cut all that myself just for this pic..... cut it from google images lol

After doing this, leave it to sit in a warm place for 24 hours so all the juices can get a good mix up. After that 24 hours period, strain or filter all the big bits out, stick the water in a spray bottle and you're good to go. Just remember you've essentially got some form of pepper spray there, turn your fans off before misting your plant so it doesn't blow back into your eyes, or even better, get some googles out.

Spray your plant every day for three days and the bugs should have all either died, or ran off. If you suspect you have broad mites though, spray once a day, every other day for five days ( 3 treatments).

Castile Soap Spray

You can find brands of castile soap with no addatives or fragrances so they are perfect for the job. They will have an effect on all the soft bodied insect like aphids and mites. Its real easy to mix too, just mix a table sppon of it into a litre of water, and put it in your spray bottle. You can even add a drop of neem oil, a bit off pepper, or orange peel, or just use it on its own.

1 tsp Castile Soap
    1L of warm water

stir them, and spray your plants, and repeat as necessary.

Epsom Salts

Not only are Epsom salts a good deterrent for pests but it also serves as great source of magnesium for the plants. Mix a 1 tsp per litre, and spray all over your plants. You can also sprinkle some on top of the medium around the base of the plant, once a fortnight to help deter pests. This will also increase nutrient uptake as the magnesium helps with the absorption of NPK.

1tsp of Espom Salts
    1l Warm Water

If you are unlucky enough to find bugs whilst flowers have fully formed, you might want to consider alternative methods of getting rid of them. Those these will be far better than synthetic products for your plant, they will still have an effect on the smoke quality. If you're in flower, consider some predatory bugs to do the job for you.
    Last edited by redisiel; 01-05-19 at 08:01 PM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

AND (30-07-18), Easy-T (30-07-18), G' (03-08-18), GEORGE (30-07-18), Ironman (30-07-18), M_C (30-07-18), UpT0wn (30-07-18), WhIpLaSh (30-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 48,497 Times

Nice work pal, stickied😁

Sent from ⚒Thames Iron Works⚒

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

AND (30-07-18), G' (03-08-18), GEORGE (01-05-19), M_C (30-07-18)

GMOGreen Guest

Yall forgot aerosol and a lighter

Burn baby burn 😎

Sent from the shadows like a ninja

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GMOGreen For This Useful Post:

G' (03-08-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,677 Times

Am I too late to try these methods as I spreyed my babies with ultra clear 3 days ago due to a spidermite infestation Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180726_191239_1532630457425.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	363651

Sent from SPACE using LASERS
    Checkout my current grow - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...rip-light-auto

RQS Kush auto, bridgelux pc case grow box

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Motion For This Useful Post:

G' (03-08-18), GEORGE (01-05-19)

Macky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Motion View Post
    Am I too late to try these methods as I spreyed my babies with ultra clear 3 days ago due to a spidermite infestation Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180726_191239_1532630457425.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	363651

Well, I hope you never get chance to try them mate lol

Sent from: Me, to space, and then to you

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

G' (03-08-18), GEORGE (01-05-19), Mr_Motion (30-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,677 Times

So I'm guessing what I've sprayed them with is a complete eradication of bugs am I right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    Well, I hope you never get chance to try them mate lol

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Motion For This Useful Post:

Macky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Motion View Post
    So I'm guessing what I've sprayed them with is a complete eradication of bugs am I right?

Depends mate, some bugs are more resistant than others. Spider mites for example. 2 different types, the normal guys you catch from walking the dog and pass onto your crop, and then the bad boys which get caught from ganja ( some one else’s crop) they’re much harder to kill. Also, you have to follow up treatment at a certain rate depending on what bug it is so you catch the new hatched eggs before they lay more. Spider mites 3 days, broad mites five. Also good to use different treatment the second time round, just in case they got use to what ever you used the first time

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

G' (03-08-18), GEORGE (01-05-19), Mr_Motion (30-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,526 Times

I like good old washing up liquid and water 👍🏻
    "To live is to risk it all. Otherwise you're just an inert chunk of randomly assembled molecules drifting wherever the universe blows you."

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmshop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,620 Times

Cracking write up Macky brother, i was talking to the owner of a grow shop last week and he reckons neem oil has been outlawed, gotta say this is the first i've heard of it as neem is used in dozens of things like shampoo, facial rubs and creams and all sorts of things, outlawed or not i have a bottle in my supplies, nice one mate, G'.
    FIGHTING FOR PEACE IS LIKE FU#@ING FOR VIRGINITY

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-05-19)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast