Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IPM (intergrated pest management)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

Default IPM (intergrated pest management)

Ipm is defined as:
    “Integrated pest management (IPM) is an ecosystem-based strategy that
    focuses on long-term prevention of pests or their damage through a
    combination of techniques such as biological control, habitat manipulation,
    modification of cultural practices, and use of resistant varieties. Pesticides
    are used only after monitoring indicates they are needed according to
    established guidelines, and treatments are made with the goal of removing
    only the target organism. Pest control materials are selected and applied in a
    manner that minimizes risks to human health, beneficial and nontarget
    organisms, and the environment.”

I use potassium silicate/silica for emulsification.

Foliar:
    Foliar Recipe #1: Neem Oil + Potassium silicate + Aloe Vera + Essential Oils (Use During Lights Out Only)
    This is the go to IPM foliar spray for weekly use, but variations of this recipe can be used and will be listed below without all of the detailed explanations. If you are worried about all the recipes, then just use this one and you’ll be fine.
    1 Gallon Clean Water (You can also use Botanical Tea for the water)
    1 Tablespoon Neem Oil (100% cold pressed)
    1-2 Teaspoons 7.8% Potassium Silicate Solution
    1⁄2 - 1 Ounce of Essential Oils (Use different combinations and different oils each week)
    1/4 Cup Pure Aloe Vera Juice or 200x powder

Oils for for IPM Use: Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Ginger, Lemongrass, Thyme, Clove, Cinnamon, Peppermint etc.
    Directions for mixing:
    The key is to get the Neem Oil Properly emulsified so that it sprays evenly or else this spray won’t be nearly as effective.
    Use warm water but not hot. (75-85 degrees)
    I like to add 1 cup of the gallon of water into a Protein Shaker cup with the round wire whisk ball for mixing but you can use a whisk and a regular cup, a blender or whatever you have on hand.
    To this 1 cup of water I add my Aloe Vera Juice or powder and let sit until clear.
    Then emulsify 1 Tablespoon of Neem oil using 1-2 teaspoons of 7.8% Potassium Silicate solution into the shaker cup with the warm water and Aloe Juice.
    Add the emulsified neem/silica/aloe solution to the other 15 cups of water to make your full gallon of spray.
    Add the essential oils of your choice and stir vigorously to keep the oil emulsified.
    Spray the plant down using a sprayer with a wand like a Chapin model 1949. This type of sprayer will allow you to effectively coat your entire plant from bottom to top. Use the wand and work your way from the bottom to the top spraying the underside of every leaf and once done turn the wand over and spray the top of every leaf, completely saturating the canopy until the plant is weeping and ready to fall over from the weight of the foliar spray.
    Make Sure to spray this just before or just after lights off as the neem oil and the essential oils will burn your plants if sprayed with lights on. Essential oils are especially reactive to light so be sure to spray at lights out... and not just a couple hours before lights on.

Foliar Recipe #2: Neem + Potassium silicate + Aloe
    1 Gallon Clean Water
    1 Tablespoon Neem Oil
    2 Teaspoons Potassium silicate
    Just like it sounds, you can use the same spray as above but without the essential oils and still have a very good spray.

Foliar Recipe #3: Potassium silicate + Essential Oils
    1 Gallon Clean Water
    .5 – 1 Ounce of Essential Oils
    1-2 teaspoon Potassium silicate

Foliar Recipe #4: Dr. Bronners Style Soap + Essential Oils 1 Gallon Clean Water
    1 Ounce of Dr. Bronners Plain Soap
    0.5-1 ounce essential oils

Foliar Recipe #5: Neem Cake and Kelp Meal
    1 Gallon water
    2 tsp. of kelp meal and bubble/aerate for 24 hours.
    Then add 1/2 cup of neem seed meal (aka neem seed cake) and aerate for another 24 hours. Strain and then spray the plants.

Botanical Tea Recipe for use in place of water in the above recipes:

Here’s how to make:
    Put in container and fill with beer or wine until it is covered. Leave for 12-24hrs.
    I also make fresh teas using different plant leaves - lavender, spearmint, peppermint, oregano, thyme,
    borage, comfrey and my new favorite, yarrow. In fact when I spray with neem oil rather than mixing with
    plain water I use a botanical tea in its place”
    Take a couple cups of fresh leaves, chop, puree or grind to a pulp and add to 4-5 gallons of water and let
    it sit for up to 2-3 days. Stir occasionally or bubble with an airstone. Strain and use for foliar with IPM
    recipes or use as a soil drench
    Use the left overs in the worm bin or compost pile

ROOT DRENCH RECIPES
    Weekly Recipe for Increased Plant Health that is just as important as the IPM sprays:

Recipe #1
    Per 5 Gallon bucket with 4 gallons of water:
    1 Cup Malted Barley Seed (Pilsner Malt)
    1/2 Dose of Ful Power Liquid Fulvic Acid from Bio Ag or a good quality fulvic acid
    Add the 1 cup Malted barley seed to your coffee grinder or food processor and grind to a fine powder.
    Add this to one gallon of water and bubble for 12-24 hours and no longer.
    Strain the gallon of Barley Enzyme tea that you just bubbled into your bucket of clean water and then add the half dose of Ful-Power and use this solution immediately.
    Recipe #2
    Per Gallon of Clean Water add 1/4 cup Pure Aloe Vera Juice and water your plants.
    Recipe #3
    Per Gallon of Clean Water add 1/4 cup Pure Young Coconut Water and water your plants.
    Recipe #4
    Bubble 1/2 cup of Kelp Meal per 4-5 gallons of water in a bucket for 24 Hours and use once per week.

If watering 4 times per week then use Recipe 1,2,3,4 and then repeat.
    If watering more than 4 times per week, space out the above solution recipes and use plain water in between.

I copied this from somewhere a few years ago and can’t remember where but I feel it’s important

Maybe sharing different approaches will be helpful for everyone, i.e. taking a different look at making the best use of the materials you have to work with.
    Neem (or Karanja) products are at the center of my IPM program. Neem meal (aka cake) is used in the soil mix and I also use it to make a tea in conjunction with kelp meal. As a bio-nutrient accumulator, neem meal is on par with the heavies like alfalfa, kelp, comfrey, borage, stinging nettles, etc. and what distinguishes one from another are the unique compounds that they create. Only brown kelp species create Alginic acid & Mannitol. Alfalfa creates Triacontanol but Comfrey does not and so on and so on.
    Neem creates over 360 compounds of which around 30 function as a pesticide and/or fungicide. So with this one material I have two problems covered. Another compound that we want to see in our soil is an enzyme called Chitinase (Pronounced Kite-In-A's) Many organisms create this enzyme including bacteria. The reason that we add crab meal is for the Chitin (Kite-In) As bacteria degrade this polysaccharide this enzyme is created and it's this enzyme that gives us the pesticide benefit - not the Chitin directly.
    Well, in my studies I learned that sprouted seeds release this enzyme that was encoded by the parent plant. So besides the enzymes that enhance the resin levels, the enzymes teas play a role as a growth regulator by degrading the eggs preventing the larva from maturing.
    I also top-dress the containers with a mix of chopped leaves with vermicompost. Plants that can be used successfully include comfrey, borage, peppermint, spearmint, oregano, rosemary, thyme, stinging nettles and always a bit of neem meal. Having that layer prevents a number of problems as far as insects & equally important the powdery mildew curse in the PNW.
    You should also make fresh teas using different plant leaves - lavender, spearmint, peppermint, oregano, thyme, borage, comfrey and yarrow. In fact when you spray with neem oil rather than mixing with plain water You can use a botanical tea in its place. Some of the compounds in these leaves will kill on contact whereas neem oil does not. It works in a completely different way so by using botanical teas as the base you're getting a double whammy against the invaders.
    Besides spraying above the soil you can lightly mist the top of the soil with any combination that I mentioned.
    Powdery Mildew free since 2009 and as close as you can get to being free of Spider Mites in the PNW for over 2 years. The results speaks for itself.

A explanation of why these work:
    1. Neem Oil: Use Pure Cold Pressed From India with highest counts of active properties
    Neem oil is much more than just Azadirachtin like many of the insect spray companies want you to believe. Just look at the chemical constituents of Neem Fruits/Seeds/Oil
    Here is a quote from, “Neem: A Treatise” Page 15
    The neem tree (Azadirachta indica) and its derivatives have great relevance in organic farming practices. This remarkable tree has been identified as a renewable resource for homegrown agro-chemicals and nutrients, which are biodegradable, non-toxic and epact.
    Long before synthetic chemicals and commercial insecticides and fertilizers were available. Neem derivatives were used in Indian villages to protect and nourish crops. Scientific research has shown that neem extracts can influence nearly 400 species of insects.
    It is significant that some of these pests are resistant to pesticides, or are inherently difficult to control with conventional pesticides (floral thrips, diamond back moth and several leaf miners). Most neem products belong to the category of medium to broad-spectrum pesticides, i.e. they are effective over a wide range of pests.
    Using neem derivatives for managing pests is a non-violent approach for controlling pests. They may not kill the pests instantaneously but incapacitate it in several ways. Neem very subtly employs efforts such as repellence, feeding and ovipositional deterrence, growth inhibition, mating disruption, chemo-sterilization, etc. These are now considered far more desirable than a quick knockdown in integrated pest management programs as they reduce the risk of exposing pest natural enemies to poisoned food or starvation.
    The action of neem products fulfills all priorities among environmental objectives. This unique tree is perhaps the most significant example of how nature can combine diverse functions i.e. the action of de oiled neem cake as a pesticide-cum-fertilizer.

2. Essential Oils:
    From the research below the top ten most effective Essential Oils for pests and molds/mildews in no particular order are:
    1. Rosemary
    2. Eucalyptus
    3. Ginger
    4. Lemongrass
    5. Thyme
    6. Clove
    7. Cinnamon
    8. Peppermint
    9. Caraway Seed
    10. Cintronellal
    The Essential oils were tested throughout the studies at various levels and found to burn plants with doses that were too high especially if administered while lights are on. Use essential oils during lights out ONLY. The best effects were around 1% essential oils by volume and as such we recommend using .5 – 1% essential oils for our mixtures and to test in a small amount first.

3. Potassium Silicate:
    EPA: Potassium silicate is listed in Title 40 (Protection of Environment), Part 180— tolerances and exemptions for pesticide chemical residues in food Subpart D— Exemptions From Tolerances, 180.1268:
    Potassium silicate is exempt from the requirement of a tolerance in or on all food commodities so long as the potassium silicate is not applied at rates exceeding 1% by weight in aqueous solution and when used in accordance with good agricultural practices.
    Potassium silicate was registered by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Office of Pesticide Programs as a biopesticide, September 7, 2007 (PC Code 072606). The EPA noted the wide distribution of silicon in the earth’s crust and concluded exposure to silicates was commonplace in activities involving contact with soil and natural water. Potassium silicate was approved as an active ingredient to be used as a fungicide, insecticide and miticide. Potassium silicate is used as a broad spectrum, preventative fungicide with optimum control obtained when used under a scheduled preventative spray program.
    Potassium silicate also provides suppression of mites, whiteflies, and other insects. It is approved for use on agricultural crops, fruits, nuts, vines, turf and ornamentals. The EPA accepted the data and information provided by PQ Corporation addressing the mammalian and non-target toxicology data requirements and concluded that they adequately satisfied data requirements to support the registration (Reilly et al., 2007). No additional data was needed to support registration. Potassium silicate is exempt from the requirement of a tolerance.
    DA: Silica and silica gel (a hydrated amorphous form of silica) are considered GRAS by FDA (21 CFR 182.90 and 21 CFR 182.1711). FDA provides that silicon is ubiquitous in the environment and further states that there is no evidence in the available information on aluminum calcium silicate, calcium silicate, magnesium silicate, potassium silicate, sodium silicate, sodium aluminosilicate, sodium calcium aluminosilicate, tricalcium silicate, silica aerogel, and talc that demonstrates or suggests reasonable grounds to suspect a hazard to the public when they are used at levels that are now current or that might reasonably be expected in the future.
    Potassium silicate is listed under title 21—food and drugs, Part 178—indirect food additives: adjuvants, production aids and sanitizers, Subpart D—certain adjuvants and production aids as § 178.3297 colorants for polymers (d) Color additives and their lakes listed for direct use in foods, under the provisions of the color additive regulations in parts 73, 74, 81, and 82 of this chapter, may also be used as colorants for food-contact polymers. (e) List of substances: Aluminum and potassium silicate (mica).
    USDA: Potassium silicate is listed under title 7—Agriculture, part 205—National Organic Program, subpart G—administrative, § 205.601—Synthetic substances allowed for use in organic crop production. The rule permits the use of potassium silicate for plant disease control and as an insecticide or miticides with the restriction that the silica, used in the manufacture of potassium silicate, must be sourced from naturally occurring sand.

4. Chitonase: An enzyme for IPM use. (We get this by using Crustacean Meal in our Soil mix and sprouted seed teas especially from using Barley Seed Tea’s)
    Read the excerpts below or check out the whole article from the links below.
    Plants represent the major component of biota and have the capability to synthesize their food through the process of photosynthesis. Physiological and environmental changes affect their health and make them vulnerable to variety of diseases thus directly or indirectly affect other components of ecosystem. A large number of environmental issues are linked with the eradication of plant diseases with chemical compounds. Most of these diseases are caused by fungal and insect pathogens. Chitin is the main structural component of these organisms and thus the enzyme responsible to hydrolyze chitin content are receiving attention in regard to their development as biopesticides or chemical defense proteins in transgenic plants and in microbial biocontrol agents. Therefore, understanding the overview of chitinase will provide a basis for improving the pathogenic activity of potential biocontrol strains, for developing novel biological control strategies and for exploring their roles in the plant defense. The present review describes the properties of chitinase with respect to plant health improvement.

I’ll need to tidy it all up a bit I think.
    There’s a lot of copy and paste here sorry but it’s what I followed for the last few years people but even simple sticky traps
    Stay blessed
    Redz
    Last edited by redisiel; 04-12-18 at 11:10 PM.
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

Alex123 (10-09-18), AND (21-09-18), andymac (05-10-20), CityDweller (10-09-18), dynamite2144 (10-09-18), gardro (10-09-18), Gaz (10-09-18), GEORGE (10-09-18), ggotch (10-09-18), Ginger-bud (10-09-18), IceCalibur (02-10-20), illegal24 (13-09-18), Ironman (10-09-18), Le chef (05-10-20), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (12-02-20), SpliffMiester (20-09-18), THE DARK KNIGHT (14-09-18), TooMuchShaft (05-02-21), UpT0wn (14-09-18), Valentina (10-09-18), WhIpLaSh (10-09-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 48,497 Times

Nice work Redz, I've stickied this for you pal😉

Sent from ⚒Thames Iron Works⚒

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (10-09-18), gardro (10-09-18), Gaz (10-09-18), GEORGE (10-09-18), Ginger-bud (10-09-18), redisiel (10-09-18), Valentina (10-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    Nice work Redz, I've stickied this for you pal��

Sent from ⚒Thames Iron Works⚒
    Nice one mate, apologies for taking so long to get it up
    I don’t go all out but the weekly spray is so important I hope people get on board coz there’s nothing worse than fucking pest mate.
    Stay blessed brother
    Redz

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (10-09-18), gardro (10-09-18), Gaz (10-09-18), GEORGE (10-09-18), ggotch (10-09-18), Ginger-bud (10-09-18), Ironman (10-09-18), Valentina (10-09-18)

Macky Guest

What a post! Nice one red! Prevention is always better than cure, you've saved a lot of future crops with this post lol.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (10-09-18), gardro (10-09-18), GEORGE (10-09-18), Ginger-bud (10-09-18), Ironman (10-09-18), redisiel (10-09-18), WF420 (20-09-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 28,825 Times

Thanks, Red. Brilliant write-up!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhIpLaSh For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (10-09-18), gardro (10-09-18), GEORGE (10-09-18), Ginger-bud (10-09-18), redisiel (10-09-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times

Thanks Redz! Time to find some potassium silicate. Do i need to purchase aloe juice or can I use fresh pulp from my plants?

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

gardro (10-09-18), GEORGE (10-09-18), Ginger-bud (10-09-18), redisiel (10-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CityDweller View Post
    Thanks Redz! Time to find some potassium silicate. Do i need to purchase aloe juice or can I use fresh pulp from my plants?
    Imho the fresh from a healthy plant is always best mate as a big part of it all is keeping on the cheap lol nah sourcing local or homemade has to be best
    Stay blessed brother
    Redz

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (10-09-18), Gaz (10-09-18), GEORGE (10-09-18), Ginger-bud (10-09-18), tom222 (14-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redisiel View Post
    Imho the fresh from a healthy plant is always best mate as a big part of it all is keeping on the cheap lol nah sourcing local or homemade has to be best
    Stay blessed brother
    Redz
    Hi Redz. So here I am mixing. I was sure I had peppermint but now all I can find is clove. Any idea if clove is viable or just leave out the oil for now? Also how long do you store this recipe? My neem oil says to mix fresh every time. Thank you.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (20-09-18), redisiel (19-09-18)

Thanks

Clove oil will be fine mate and yes I would definitely mix a fresh batch every time, I think clove oil is good for mites tbh.
    Stay blessed
    Redz

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (19-09-18), GEORGE (20-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redisiel View Post
    Clove oil will be fine mate and yes I would definitely mix a fresh batch every time, I think clove oil is good for mites tbh.
    Stay blessed
    Redz
    Thanks! Appreciate all the help!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (20-09-18), redisiel (20-09-18)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast