Thread: PICS! request to Critique/advise new grow tent setup 1st time DWC - Strawberry Banana

Thanks

Default PICS! request to Critique/advise new grow tent setup 1st time DWC - Strawberry Banana

Hi All,

1st post!

Ill explain the setup then my questions, feel free to chip in:

The tent is 4.5' x 4.5' x7.5' (1.4m x 1.4m x 2.2m)
    375cfm fan exhausting from top, passive intake from bottom

Currently running 400w HPS in a 3' (1m) parabolic reflector with the bulb hanging vertically.

Ive got ph and ppm meters calibrated.

4 plants (strawberry banana) in net pots + hydroton, in the lid of one tub with 20L of nutrient solution. (best 2 plants will get their own)
    Really strong air pump with 2 air stones

I fed with 1/4 strength GH nutes when 2nd true leaves showed, PPM is only 270. Will up it gradually week by week. (GH flora series 3 part, diamond nectar, rapid start, armorSi)
    its been 2 weeks exactly since the seeds popped and 3 have roots are in the water, one still struggling. 2nd set of true leaves now growing by the hour it seems on the other 3.

Tent is exhausting into the garage that its in, with exhaust fan blowing towards the entry door which i keep open.

questions:

Really really considering upgrading to 600w for flowering. Pretty much sold on the idea. but summer is around the corner, and i dont have/cant afford a chiller will the extra 200w be worth the potential heat problems? (it gets into the 100's some days in summer here)

Im planning on moving the best 2 plants into their own bucket and while looking for a suitable bucket, i came across the cooler (ice box? esky?) section of the store . Im planning on using a 15gallon esky cooler as a res for each plant. With the net pot having to be above the water, that will still only be like 6-8 gallons of liquid. is this a good idea? its not cheap, but theyre light proof, white colour (reflective), insulated, sturdy, and have a drain valve. Ive already got one, it kept ice frozen for 4 days while sitting out in the sun, admittedly i wasnt pumping air into it, and it didnt have a big hole and net pot in it.

Last question, is it advisable/best to mount the light bulb vertically like that? i can keep the light under a foot away from the plants at the moment, because the heat is radiating side ways not down, i could even lower it more but theyre loving it where it is now so dont want to chance it. I have a fan pointed up towards the light bulb to cool things down too, the air hits the plants and the light so double wammy. im just wondering if it would be better to mount the bulb horizontally in the same reflector (its switchable). Or should i get a different reflector all together? cool tube?

Pics are 3 days old, second leaved are like 4 times the size now.
    Will start a grow journal soon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180919_181257.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	366150   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180919_181303.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	366151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180919_181321.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	366152   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180919_181511.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	366153  
    Last edited by greenery86; 21-09-18 at 04:02 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greenery86 For This Useful Post:

Gaz (22-09-18), GEORGE (23-09-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

I'm not really that familiar with your style of growing (and prefer EC to PPM!) but your plants look quite stretched...
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    I'm not really that familiar with your style of growing (and prefer EC to PPM!) but your plants look quite stretched...
    To be honest i think theyre even taller now, could they be stretching due to the way ive hung the bulb? should i switch to horizontal mounting?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greenery86 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

I would imagine the problem is that your light is too high

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hps are great but in a small space you can't beat LED lights. If your on a budget and a bit savvy you can cobble a cheap led set up together. Less heat more par light. No cool tubes or extra bits needed.

Id also cover them pebbles with a bit of black n white or mylar so the light doesn't get to them or they're gonna turn green with algue.
    Last edited by channel; 22-09-18 at 12:17 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to channel For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by channel View Post
    Hps are great but in a small space you can't beat LED lights. If your on a budget and a bit savvy you can cobble a cheap led set up together. Less heat more par light. No cool tubes or extra bits needed.

Id also cover them pebbles with a bit of black n white or mylar so the light doesn't get to them or they're gonna turn green with algue.
    Its quite a big tent, and id rather stick with a tried and true hps. Will cover the hydroton though, thanks, been meaning to do that

12. The Following User Says Thank You to greenery86 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-09-18)